Canada and New England: Month of May

gcoco12

Looking for a cruise for the month of May and would really like to do the Canada and New England, however I noticed only Holland America offers it at this time of year. Is this because it's not a good time to go? Anybody have experience with this cruise?

Thanks.

Looking for a cruise for the month of May and would really like to do the Canada and New England, however I noticed only Holland America offers it at this time of year. Is this because it's not a good time to go? Anybody have experience with this cruise?

Thanks.

We took the HAL cruise in May 2011 on the Maasdam. It was a great cruise and good weather at every port. We rented cars at each port and had a wonderful time.

The Maasdam seven day cruise Boston to Montreal to Boston is one of the best short cruises HAL does IMO

We do it b-to-b just about every summer and never tire of it. We love that itinerary. Late May might provide good weather but it could be quite cool in the Maritimes in early May.

• 2 weeks later...

I have been looking at a repositioning cruise on the Veendam May 1. It goes from Ft. Lauderdale to Quebec City. It's stops in Gloucester, Bar Harbor, Halifax, Sydney, and Charlottetown. I was wondering if the temperatures in the ports would be cold and wet or just cold? If anyone has done this cruise, have the seas been calm? Do you have to have a heavy coat? Is there usually fog on New England cruises that cause you to miss a port? I guess I'm asking for your experiences on this cruise.

I have been looking at a repositioning cruise on the Veendam May 1. It goes from Ft. Lauderdale to Quebec City. It's stops in Gloucester, Bar Harbor, Halifax, Sydney, and Charlottetown. I was wondering if the temperatures in the ports would be cold and wet or just cold? If anyone has done this cruise, have the seas been calm? Do you have to have a heavy coat? Is there usually fog on New England cruises that cause you to miss a port? I guess I'm asking for your experiences on this cruise.

Statistically-speaking there should be minimal rainfall difference between May, June, and July - have a look at these links to the 30-year+ average data for the various Canadian ports (there's also data on US, but scant as it's a Canadian site I use - and if you can handle the northernmost ports you won't have an issue with conditions en route):

Quebec City

Charlottetown

Sydney

Halifax

Odds are you'll have to deal with at least some rain during the cruise - one water & wind-proof top layer is basically going to be a requirement whether it's used on-deck, land, or both.

Heavy coats are a waste of time though - a hat, pair of gloves, scarf, and set of light thermal undies pack small and let you deal with ANY potential temperature you'll encounter when combined with your top layer and the sort of regular clothing almost everyone has (long & short sleeved shirts, long pants, some kind of cardigan/sweater/fleece for a mid-layer).

I like the travel shirts & pants which have partial zip-off sleeves & legs so if the weather is unusually warm you have shorts available without having to pack them separately.

May is usually no problem weather wise here in Quebec !

The trees will be full of leaves, flowers will start blooming, it is usually sunny & pleasant mid 60's to mid 70's (some days can be cooler).

The restaurants will have thier patios open for business.

Enjoy your cruise !

:)

Edited by p_mori7

• 4 weeks later...

I'm doing the May 1 cruise and had a friend do it 2 yrs ago. Few days were cold and they even got snow in Quebec. After this winter I expect to be prepared for cold wet. My friend missed Gloucester due to fog. We tender in Gloucester and Bar Harber. Looking forward to this cruise good price and plan to be prepared for whatever.

There can be more fog on the Atlantic coast in May than later on in the summer. The land temperatures vary considerably. Just bring layers.

Fall cruises are popular partly for the weather and the colours and partly because it is hurricane season which can be a real problem in warmer places.

Gloucester, Bar Harbor, Halifax, Sydney, Charlottetown, Quebec City.

Do most people take guided excursions through the ship, through private tours, or do they go on their own? Are all of these ports adaptable to self guided walking tours. I would imagine that all of them do not have readily available public transportation, including Quebec City, which seems to have limited bus public transportation even though the city is fairly large.

Staying a couple of nights in Quebec City before heading down to Montreal. Any helpful information on QC especially medium priced hotels and getting around.

Best way to get to Montreal. Bus or train? Or, are there any private shuttles?

Thanks Again

Any helpful information on QC especially medium priced hotels and getting around.

Best way to get to Montreal. Bus or train? Or, are there any private shuttles?

Thanks Again

For hotels, consider the advice and suggestions in this thread.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1935773

You should consider renting a car in Sydney. The best things (wonderful scenery) are out of town.

Here are some older threads with information. In the first one I mention two options. There is a third, which is to see part of the Cabot Trail, driving as far as Neils harbour. Some of the other threads mention this.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1687976

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1769976

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1863077

• 2 weeks later...
You should consider renting a car in Sydney. The best things (wonderful scenery) are out of town.

Here are some older threads with information. In the first one I mention two options. There is a third, which is to see part of the Cabot Trail, driving as far as Neils harbour. Some of the other threads mention this.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1687976

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1769976

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1863077

I agree with you 100% and will be renting a car in Sydney. Too much to see and not many excursions or they are too expensive for us.