Trip Insurance

I didn't purchase the insurance through RCCL when I first booked the cruise. But now I am thinking that I should have.

Since it is just my son and I going I realized that I should probably have some coverage that gets him home or my wife to us, etc. in the event something happens to me while on our trip. Some travel delay coverage would also be nice too. I think most of the packages cover some form of medical, travel delay, transportation, lost luggage etc.

Does anyone have any recomendations on where to purchase insurance now? Can I still get it through RCCL or do I have to go to an outside company? If an outside company who would you recommend or not recommend?

I can do all of the necesary research on the type of plan but just need some help with references based on past experiences both good and bad.

I didn't purchase the insurance through RCCL when I first booked the cruise. But now I am thinking that I should have.

Since it is just my son and I going I realized that I should probably have some coverage that gets him home or my wife to us' date=' etc. in the event something happens to me while on our trip. Some travel delay coverage would also be nice too. I think most of the packages cover some form of medical, travel delay, transportation, lost luggage etc.

Does anyone have any recomendations on where to purchase insurance now? Can I still get it through RCCL or do I have to go to an outside company? If an outside company who would you recommend or not recommend?

I can do all of the necesary research on the type of plan but just need some help with references based on past experiences both good and bad.[/quote']

I use insuremytrip.com. They have lots of companies and plans to choose from.

I *never* purchase travel insurance through the supplier, whether it be a cruiseline, or Disney, or anyone else. You can almost always get much better coverage at a much cheaper price through a 3rd party.

I second the pp's rec of InsureMyTrip -- you can compare a number of policies side-by-side. I can also tell you that AccessAmerica (I think they're called Allianz now?) and TravelInsured (that's who I usually go with) offer plans that include children under 17 for free. Just as an example, insurance through them for my son and I for our upcoming week-long cruise cost me all of $48 total, and it offers plenty of coverage.

I'm sure you'll find a 3rd party plan that is right for your needs, and costs you *way* less than RCI wanted to charge you!

-gina-

Cruzn' -- For other than Cruise Line's insurance, It's best to purchase trip insurance w/in 14-21 days of booking in order to get "waiver of pre-existing conditions" - I suspect your well past that and past final payment? The Cruisel Line insurqance doesn't have "waiver of pre-existing conditions.

CSA Freestyle (you'll have to google sources) and Travel Insured (available at a slight discount thru USAA) are good choices; most of the so-called third party insurers are generall less expensive (especially the younger you are) and better coverages than the Cruise Line policies.

Many policies, including several Travel Insured policies, insure kids free with insured adult.

ken

Edited by Ken076

I've used insuremytrip, and RCCL. You can also check AAA, and if you're a USAA member, they have insurance. I like insuremytrip as you can place the policies side by side and compare each feature, then select the one that's best for you. For example, my last cruise (New Years Eve), we went with my Navy Pilot son and his wife. We found a policy through our TA (also available on insuremytrip, but she was able to get it at the same price and do the work for me). This particular policy protected all 4 of us if his Leave got cancelled for any reason. As his Air Wing was the next to go, it was an important feature. If Syria had "exploded," he would have been sent on immediate deployment. Fortunately all went well and we had a great cruise. Except for my wife falling and dislocating her collarbone. Turns out our policy will also cover any "out of pocket" expenses we have including our deductible. Their deductible is only $50. So it may be a fortunate event that we took out the insurance.

Thank you everyone for the input. A couple of those companies are the ones that came up when I did an initial search but wanted to get some first hand accounts and advice from the great group on Cruise Critic first. That way I didn't waste time going down a wrong route.

Yes, I am well past the point of the time frame to cover pre-existing conditions but am not sure that is a problem for me because I am not sure what would be examples of pre-existing condition that could apply for travel. I know what it would be for medical insurance but can't figure it out for travel.

Does anyone know what that might be?

Good to look into this. First, you need to answer some questions for yourself:

1. Are you after cancellation protection? Is it important that you not lose the cost of the trip should you have to cancel?

2. What does your existing insurance cover? Most health insurance plans will actually cover a great deal if not all of the costs of out of country medical care. HOWEVER- it is usually covered as a reimbursement. i.e. the hospital in the islands isn't going to bill your insurance. They're going to bill you, you pay and then get reimbursed. Can you cover this?

3. Are you after Medical transport coverage? If you determine you have adequate medical coverage, you might find that getting transport coverage, which can actually be purchased for a length of time (1-3 years) rather than trip by trip might be the better approach.

4. Keep in mind that Travel Insurance is in fact an investment. There is a level of risk and a potential return. As investments go, Travel Insurance is very low risk, but also usually very low potential return. If this fits in with the rest of your investment strategy/portfolio, then great. If you find it isn't filling a need for you, then you won't go for it. This is a very personal question that is different for everyone.

Thank you everyone for the input. A couple of those companies are the ones that came up when I did an initial search but wanted to get some first hand accounts and advice from the great group on Cruise Critic first. That way I didn't waste time going down a wrong route.

Yes' date=' I am well past the point of the time frame to cover pre-existing conditions but am not sure that is a problem for me because I am not sure what would be examples of pre-existing condition that could apply for travel. I know what it would be for medical insurance but can't figure it out for travel.

Does anyone know what that might be?[/quote']

Check the specific policies you're interested in, but the Pre-Existing Condition exclusion generally does NOT apply to MedEvac, Return of Remains, and delayed Luggage coverages. the exclusion usually does apply to Medical benefits and to Cancellation/Interruption (as in, if you had to cancel because of your late-breaking medical condition) benefits.

Note that the pre-existing exclusion is for medical conditions "surfaced" xx days before purchase of the Policy (conditions that were "under control with no change") during that window are not pre-existing. That xx day pre-existing window varies by insurer from 60 to maybe 180 days - depending on your situation, you might want a policy with the smallest possible window. I think RCI's policy is 60 days -and- at least includes "Cancel for Any Reason" coverage albeit the reimbursement is a 75% future cruise CREDIT.

ken

Edited by Ken076

I thought most required purchasing within so many days of placing deposit to get the pre-existing coverage?

Sorry to hijack...does anyone offer plans that only include trip cancellation?

Not travel guard, I don't pay for insurance until about 1 week before final payment, that's when you start loosing money if you have to cancel. We need pre-existing conditions covered. :D

Could you give us a link to the Travel Guard policy you purchase? Thanks :)

Please note that if you want coverage for preexisting conditions there are three requirements.

1. You must purchase insurance per time frame specificed by the Insurance Company. Most require within 10 days of initial deposit. Some before final payment.

2. You must be in condition to travel the day you purchase.

3. You must insure all nonrefundable costs. This includes the cruise, airfare and any other costs which are nonrefundable the day you leave for the cruise. There was an article in the Philadelphia Inquirer a few months back were a woman purchased insurance which was only one or two dollars less than the actual trip cost. The insurance company refused her claim. She only got the money when Christopher Elliot, a travel consumer advocate, contacted the insurance company on her behalf.

I used to sell cruises. We were told at travel insurance seminars that travel insurance is all about what is not covered. Read the policy before purchase. If you have any questions contact the insurance company and get the answer in writing if it affects coverage.

Please note that if you want coverage for preexisting conditions there are three requirements.

1. You must purchase insurance per time frame specificed by the Insurance Company. Most require within 10 days of initial deposit. Some before final payment.

2. You must be in condition to travel the day you purchase.

3. You must insure all nonrefundable costs. This includes the cruise, airfare and any other costs which are nonrefundable the day you leave for the cruise. There was an article in the Philadelphia Inquirer a few months back were a woman purchased insurance which was only one or two dollars less than the actual trip cost. The insurance company refused her claim. She only got the money when Christopher Elliot, a travel consumer advocate, contacted the insurance company on her behalf.

I used to sell cruises. We were told at travel insurance seminars that travel insurance is all about what is not covered. Read the policy before purchase. If you have any questions contact the insurance company and get the answer in writing if it affects coverage.

Thanks for sharing....I would like to "see" the policy from Travelguard that Britty is referring to. I know that CSA travel has one that can be purchased within 24hrs of Final payment and will cover pre-existing conditions but it quite pricey.

Not travel guard, I don't pay for insurance until about 1 week before final payment, that's when you start loosing money if you have to cancel. We need pre-existing conditions covered. :D

If you can share which TravelGuard Policy offers this, I'd be interested. From the Policy summaries, it looks to me that the Basic Policy does not offer the Waiver and that to get the Waiver the Gold, Platinum & Silver require purchase of the Policy w/in 15 days of Booking???

thanks, Ken

You will NOT get pre-existing conditions covered unless you buy travel insurance within 10-21 days (depending on policy) after your initial deposit for ANYTHING on this trip.

We booked with a TA and received delayed deposit until August. Even though I technically didn't put any money down, I did buy travel insurance to cover pre-existing conditions. I have a sick dad so I wanted to be sure if I needed to cancel for his illness, I'm fully covered.

If you DO NOT purchase the policy within 10-21 days, you can still get pre-existing conditions covered through CSA, but you will pay a pretty penny.

On our first cruise with my Dad, he became ill and in the hospital during the 10-21 day period so I couldn't buy his insurance after I put down our down payment. I had to wait until he was "fit to travel" but by then he missed out on the pre-existing condition clause so I had to buy CSA, which cost me probably close to $300 for the poicy.

I probably need to look into that definition of "pre existing" and also the time frame on onset.

I don't like to buy until just before final payment, because I sometimes cancel the trip.

I only care about trip cancellation for medical reasons (i.e., family member dies, disabled hubby gets ill suddenly, etc.). Is there somewhere to only buy trip cancellation coverage?

Buying trip insurance is no different then buy any type of insurance like life, auto, home. You first need to know what type of coverage and $$ you need upfront and shop the varies companies. Travel insurance companies rates and coverage run the gamut. Most cruiselines, airlines, tours companies offer their own travel insurance through a third party. They are offered as a convenience and may not offer the type of coverage you need or want so buyer beware. You can buy trip insurance up to departure (as long as you haven't left yet) and there are policies to "cancel for any reason." Pre-existing conditions are usually waived if purchased within 7-14 after deposit otherwise there is a "look back" period of 60-120 days or something like that whether known or not. Trip insurance gives you good piece of mind if something should happen before and during your trip for such a little amount. But always read the policy's fine print and know what's covered and what is not. One of the most valuable parts of trip insurance is medical evacuation especially on a foreign cruise. You will be flown home via private medical jet with policy coverage from 50K up to 1M. If you don't think you need this read this article as most of us don't have a private jet.

http://www.cruisecritic.com/news/news.cfm?ID=5674

I always buy my policy from my home/auto ins company.

never had to use it, so cannot say if good or bad.

But, they cover every part, not just the cruise.

The flight, prehotel or post as well as the cruise - usually I book more

than one thing on a trip, so the cuise ins will not cover enough.