Door Decorations

gaylemh

Silly it is I guess! Really wasn't trying to knock it. Just think it's interesting how this has become such a "thing" for cruising in particular. Like i said, I never see it at land based resorts. Just curious how it came to be.... But by all means, decorate away!

Sorry macruisefan, I really didn't mean to start a bit of "flaming" of you. I wasn't really offended at all by your comment.

Actually I think people decorate cruise ships and not hotels because of the whole atmosphere. We decorate only for major holidays or events. We have done New Years, Christmas, and Valentines Day. Birthdays and Anniversaries have usually used RCCL cabin decorations for friends or family. It's just away to spread the cheer of the event. Like decorating your house for Christmas.

Our door decoration for New Years was just a Happy New Years sign from Party City with a clock on it. When we took it down, our hall mates were all expressing disappointment as they "wouldn't be able to find their cabins." Then one lady walked by and expressed her disappointment because she had fun changing the time on the clock when she walked by.

A cruise is a "party" atmosphere. Some decorate for fun, some decorate to help find their door, some decorate for a special celebration. Except somewhere like Disney, people in hotels aren't in this "party" atmosphere. I will say that I have been at weddings where large blocks of rooms are reserved by guests and we have decorated the hospitality suite door for identification.

Anyway, again, didn't mean to start a small "flaming."

Happy cruising.

We're definitely SILLY. We, not only decorate the door so we can find our room:D, but, if. we have a Pr room, we decorate the window looking out on the Promenade. At Christmas we had twinkling lites all around the window that came on every night. Silly and lots of fun. We can always find us.

I decorate our door because it is fun.:) And it helps us find our room (so many cruises, so many doors).;) I have decorated for our birthdays, our anniversary, fall leave when sailing to Canada, Christmas, valentine's, whatever the occasion/season. I like using window clings on the balcony doors & vanity mirror to bring the décor inside, too.

• 2 months later...

For our last summer cruise we put glittery flip flops and tropical flowers. For our 4th of July cruise we put glittery red, white and blue stars. For the upcoming 4th of July cruise we may have to do both. Fun fun fun. Our cabins are usually located very forward or aft which usually reduces the likelihood of theft. It's terrible when the door decorations are stolen.

We are near the elevators this time so I am hoping they are safe. Does the door get damaged if you use tape?

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Forums mobile app

Maybe not most land resorts... but it's definitely the norm at Walt Disney World hotels. :) Way more elaborate than cruise ship doors! And the staff (the "Mousekeepers" :) ) often get in on the fun too, arranging stuffed anumals and whatnot into cute window displays while you're out for the day.

So, cruises aren't the only place we're silly. :D

-gina-

Yes! Exactly what I thought - apparently that poster has never been to Disney! Or a hotel/resort where some type of sporting event is going on. Hockey tournaments and dance competitions always have decorated doors all over the place :)

My roomie and I are going to put up a magnetic dry erase board. Figure we'll make new friends onboard and figure this will be a good way to pass messages without having to deal with the phone. I loathe talking on the phone.

Our group has three cabins in a row and we're also going to put up the magnetic dry erase boards on all three doors. :D

We are Disney Vacation Club members and the ships puts decals on ours cabin doors and TWICE they have been taken. So maybe you should bring extra in case someone borrows yours.

I hope if they "borrow" mine, their last name is thrice because ours will be customized. ;)

We will be celebrating an Anniversary on our next cruise...door must have some acknowledgement of this!

TIP

Do NOT use regular tape or masking tape. It will may damage the surface when removed. Don't panic, thank a boater for the solution!

3M manufactures a removable tape. It is sooooooo good, use can use it in the direct sunlight...on boat hulls or decks for WEEKS. You will find it in any hardware store or Walmart. It's royal blue. Can't miss it!

I pick my Wall Decals up at Target. "Durable vinyl wall decals can also be removed and repositioned without leaving a sticky mess behind." They are cheep and one package can be used many times. But this trip in April I think I will go look at the Dollar store for the magnets clings.

If it's in the hallway. anyone can erase it or change the messages. You can use it to make friends, but, messages for each other should be inside your cabin.

I decorated my door this past Christmas with $1 magnets from the Dollar Store.

232323232%7Ffp83232%3Euqcshlukaxroqdfv39%3A8%3Dot%3E393%3A%3D7%3B3%3D%3C25%3DXROQDF%3E27%3A%3C2%3B46%3B9257ot1lsi

I am his room mate on the upcoming cruise.....

That's going to be the fun part people can write whatever we will respond and change it daily lol, we are even leaving the dry erase pen out there. The dry erase board is actually a photo of a sunrise I took. It's 12x18......

We're definitely SILLY. We, not only decorate the door so we can find our room:D, but, if. we have a Pr room, we decorate the window looking out on the Promenade. At Christmas we had twinkling lites all around the window that came on every night. Silly and lots of fun. We can always find us.

We had 1688 the 13 days before the Christmas cruise. We were decorated for Christmas inside and out! We had the Dollar Stire foam snowflakes hanging over our bed!

.....but we do the same if we travel to a resort and stay there.....vs. moving every day or so. Admittedly worse when we drive to the port or resort vs. flying.

We have themed napkins, December we even have little Christmas trees-----thank goodness for Dollar Stores.

DH calls it..... Nesting.

This is the door from our second cruise. Surf Taco is one of our local restaurants. There were some other characters that I would switch every few days. And, I did not mind at all if one disappeared, I would think it was a compliment. But, none ever disappeared.:rolleyes:

P4250112.jpg.160aa78136c6ffeba3ad03663dd251c2.jpg

This is the dry erase board that will be on the outside of our cabin door for the March 29th sailing on EOS.

It's a decent size at 12x18

And we encourage people to draw on it of write a message lol

13408253584_1fc6914d45_b.jpg

Edited by 97t-bird