Bringing Wine Onboard

Dare2Believe

I'm pretty sure Carnival allows one bottle per person, right? Or is it 2? Can someone confirm the size for me? Is it 750ml?

Also, another question..we are flying down the night before, but not getting into JAX until about 11:15 at night, and are going straight from the hotel to the port the next morning. We are bringing our wine with us from home, in our checked baggage - yes I know they need to be in carry ons for the ship to check...will switch them over.

What is your preferred method for keeping the wine safe in your checked bags when you fly? Is this a crazy idea? Any tricks or products you can recommend besides wrapping it up in a t-shirt? :o

I didn't know you could have liquids in your checked luggage. How recently have you done that?

I do it all the time while flying. Last month was the most recent. No worries. Unless it breaks :eek:

I wrap them in diapers, so if it does break it absorbs the liquid.

I have packed a lot of wine in checked bags, mostly coming home from Napa.. I have used several methods and have never had a broken bottle yet. Bubble wrap is good, and easy to find.

You need to pack the pack the bottle so that no outside forces hit it.. Like when the baggage guys chuck it onto the conveyor.

One trick I do is to stuff the bottle in my husbands shoes, one shoe on each end... the shoes provide the extra support.. also if you have a hard side to your suitcase, pack in that end, usually the bottom end of most suitcases.. be sure to have a good buffer of soft clothing between the bottle and the sides and don't pack anything else firm near it.

Hopefully this helps.. I'll be doing the same for my upcoming cruise..

:)

Buy a set of the Water-Wiggles, blow them up around the wine bottle and then put them in a 2.5 gal zip lock bag and wrap it all in a beach towel.

The water-wiggles are the blow up arm bands that children often use for the swimming pool. They work great for bringing home any purchased liquor as well.

Fly with them in your checked bags and then transfer to your carry-on before heading to the port.

It works for us everytime.

Guests are prohibited from bringing alcoholic beverages on board. However, at the beginning of the cruise during embarkation day, guests (21 years of age and older) may bring on board one bottle (750ml) of wine or champagne, per person, only in their carry-on luggage.

I also use Tracker wine bags.. you can get them at your local Luggage specialty store. Or Google them..

They are bags meant for carry 750 ml bottles which is what you are allowed per person of legal drinking age staying the same cabin.

The bags are bubble wrap insulated with dbl zip locks and velcro flaps.. I have been shipping wine this way for years and never had any damage and you can keep using them again and again.. watch for the sales on them and you should be paying about $10 for 2 bags.

Could you consider just stopping on your way from the hotel to the port? When we flew to LAX last year we just got the taxi driver to stop at a corner store. Of course, I wasn't too picky about the wine (other than that I wanted sparking). Maybe that seems more of a hassle than just packing, but I'd sure be worried about breakage regardless of the suggestions offered.

I love the idea of water wings. Thank you for sharing!!

We recently flew all of our wine to Florida in smaller wine boxes. The wine shop we frequent had 6 bottle boxes that worked perfectly. If there was extra room in the box, we put a few towels to avoid any movement. I then packed everything around it. There are also 2 and 3 bottle boxes that can be found for smaller quantities, but we did send 6 bottles down and it is actually about the same size so it worked perfectly for us.

What is your preferred method for keeping the wine safe in your checked bags when you fly? Is this a crazy idea? Any tricks or products you can recommend besides wrapping it up in a t-shirt? :o

I buy a larger (1.14 L) bottle at Costco every time I fly to Vegas or Fla to bring back to Canada. I have always wrapped it well in a towel, and placed it toward the middle of my duffle back. I have never had a bottle break (yet!) :) I understand that you will be hard pressed to find a liquor store in the morning on the way to port so you have the right idea. Good LucK!

We bubble wrap each bottle and place each bottle in a 2 gallon size zip lock and place them inside a rolled up T-shirt. We take them out at the airport and transfer to our carry ons. If you leave them in your check in bags they will confiscate them.

This is our first cruise so can anyone enlighten me on a little creativity please?;)

#1- If you get caught bringing it on the ship at a port, they will tell you to take it over to a table to have it logged in with your information so you can pick it up on debark day. ***** If the table is crowded with others AND security is not looking your way, keep on walking, keep on walking real fast...... keep on walking right to your cabin.

---- OR -----

#2- Purchase 2 bottles and if need be, hand over one.

--------- or ---------

Split up your wine purchase between two or more people and repeat with steps #1 and #2 above

Good luck, wine on board is expensive .

Edited by FlaGrl4Evr

I usually take a bottle of champagne. Last cruise I took a cheap bottle of wine I got at the last minute--only $4.99! Imagine my surprise when I went to open it the darned cheap wine had a cork!

Luckily the steward was near and had a corkscrew...If yours is corked, remember the corkscrew!

Cheap wine actually tasted very good!

You can get wine shippers at shipping supply stores. A friend of mine travels extensively and has quite a few of them from wine purchased and then brought home. Safe and secure they sell em in single, 2 pack 4 pack and 6 pack sizes. The 6 pack would be its own checked item

Also check Vinni bags

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N900A using Tapatalk

Edited by pbsteve