Carnival called with an upgrade offer.....disappointing :(

crazyboutdisney

I was so excited to hear that I had a message from Carnival! But when I called back my excitement was short lived. They were offering a balcony room for a mere $580 more than our oceanview. Not much of an offer :( Its only $200 off the online booking price so I declined. I was hoping for at least $300 or even $400. Oh well.....

the price they offer you is based on the price you paid. If you're sailing on a rock bottom rate in the class you're booked in now, its going to seem higher. I know people will disagree, but the people here posting 'great deals' on their upgrades paid more for their original cabin. Its all about total price, what you've paid carnival already and how much more they need to get to their new 'allowed number'. The people on the phone get a new number that they're allowed to sell the cabin for from revenue control and you're offer is basically the difference.

Its a big numbers game, so don't be too disappointed, probably means you got a good deal on the cabin you have!

We got the call yesterday for our cruise on Monday. I have been feeling a little guilty about going for the upgrade, since our original price was pretty low. We had an ocean view that we got for 339 per person, they offered an ocean suite for 400 more total. I was happy with our original price, but I guess this is a pretty unpopular sailing! (8 day out of NY, Port Canaveral, Nassau and Freeport).

We got the call yesterday for our cruise on Monday. I have been feeling a little guilty about going for the upgrade, since our original price was pretty low. We had an ocean view that we got for 339 per person, they offered an ocean suite for 400 more total. I was happy with our original price, but I guess this is a pretty unpopular sailing! (8 day out of NY, Port Canaveral, Nassau and Freeport).

you got an OS for just under $1100 for an 8 day and you feel guilty? Enjoy your cabin and a half...its a great size cabin and a bit more room on your balcony. I say you got a great deal, if you book that same cabin today for that sailing it would cost you more than that for one passenger.

the price they offer you is based on the price you paid. If you're sailing on a rock bottom rate in the class you're booked in now, its going to seem higher. I know people will disagree, but the people here posting 'great deals' on their upgrades paid more for their original cabin. Its all about total price, what you've paid carnival already and how much more they need to get to their new 'allowed number'. The people on the phone get a new number that they're allowed to sell the cabin for from revenue control and you're offer is basically the difference.

Its a big numbers game, so don't be too disappointed, probably means you got a good deal on the cabin you have!

See your point but the only way to evaluate an offer is based on your cost.

Might pay 200 extra to have a balcony but not 500

I really do feel like we are getting a good deal. We have had many price drops and are at $1118 for 7 days on the Sunshine...oceanview midship deck 2. We are happy with it :)

Yes that was a weak offer indeed.

At least you received an offer of some kind..

We have not heard a peep yet! :eek:

Doesnt happen all that often. In 25 or so Carnival cruises we have only gotten three calls.

Two we passed on and one we took an aft wrap.

Many other long term Carnival customers say they have never gotten a call.

last cruise i had gotten my first upgrade call. balcony to suite for 300 more EACH.. umm could have booked that at time of booking for same price.. nope.. didn't do it. if they want ppl to upgrade, they need to offer a better deal. lol

We have only received one upgrade ever so wanted to share. Two yrs ago my sil, mother and I took a 7 day Eastern Caribbean on princess. We booked a mini suite and got the upgrade call the day before the sailing. They put us in a full suite with all amenities(AND there were LOTS) It was the aft wrap around that sell for $7000 a week. We paid $999 each as the upgrade didn't cost us a penny. Did I mention this was their FIRST CRUISE? The way I look at it that was my once in a lifetime so not expecting anymore calls----

We have only received one upgrade ever so wanted to share. Two yrs ago my sil, mother and I took a 7 day Eastern Caribbean on princess. We booked a mini suite and got the upgrade call the day before the sailing. They put us in a full suite with all amenities(AND there were LOTS) It was the aft wrap around that sell for $7000 a week. We paid $999 each as the upgrade didn't cost us a penny. Did I mention this was their FIRST CRUISE? The way I look at it that was my once in a lifetime so not expecting anymore calls----

Supposedly princess does not charge for the upgrades like Carnival does

Doesnt happen all that often. In 25 or so Carnival cruises we have only gotten three calls.

Two we passed on and one we took an aft wrap.

Many other long term Carnival customers say they have never gotten a call.

I have gotten calls/emails in the past for my other cruises but nothing on Splendor. Its cool, maybe they are near full. Would likely be a crappy offer!

Plus the price has gone up since I booked. Im happy where we are :)

We got an upsell call once. We were in the 'L' shaped cabin (extended balcony without the extended price). We took the bait and upgraded to a suite.

The day after the cost of our original cabin went waayyyy down. (Sorry I don't remember the numbers now). We had booked at a rate that we could get onboard credit for price drops. Then I noticed that the 'aft' cabin went on sale for even lower then we had paid for our original "L" cabin.

I called because it seemed like a scam at the time. They felt I had a point and moved us to a 'aft' and gave us a huge onboard credit.

Supposedly princess does not charge for the upgrades like Carnival does

We also sail on Princess and have received upsell offers from them. We've taken the upsell from a balcony to a mini-suite on Princess and from a balcony to an ocean suite on Carnival.

We got the call for our cabin and our friends to go from Balcony to Spa Suite. We took it. I had looked at booking the aft corner wrap balcony, but decided price was more than I wanted to speend especially if it was cold and we could not enjoy the balcony.

The Spa Suite with upgrade charges was cheaper than the aft corrner wrap, when I priced it last November

Our first cruise will be on Freedom 2/2....doubtful we'll get a call but I'd upgrade to a suite for $500 (booked balcony). We enjoy larger hotel rooms etc when we are on vacation. We also purchased FTTF, as we also enjoy priority security and boarding at airports :) to each their own :)

Sent from my DROID RAZR HD using Forums mobile app