Smart Casual and Casual

SaskMommy

If you don't understand by now you never will. So no use explaining. It's like art, either you get it or you don't.

Of course that cuts both ways. At least I understand the difference between suggested and acceptable. As you say, you get it or you don't. Guess you don't understand that RCI considers jeans and t-shirts acceptable. A few years ago they even had a country western theme night. Do you think jeans were unacceptable that night? You could argue that they were suggested.:rolleyes:

We try and follow the suggested attire, for myself, a nice pair of slacks and blouse, DH wears slacks and a pullover or nice shirt, no tie or suicoat, formal nights, either a dress or fancy black slacks and top for myself, DH suitcoat and tie. We see the majority of people try and follow the suggested attire and don't worry if someone might come in Jeans, as long as they look nice.

Edited by Desert Cruizers

Slacks and sport shirts DOES NOT EQUAL jeans and t-shirts in the Main Dining Room!

I never said that it did, you obviously don't understand what is suggested is just that. What is acceptable is a much wider variety. Next time you are in the MDR for dinner, look around, especially on smart casual night. How many men do you see in jackets? Probably a lot less than 50%, is it meeting the suggested dress, no, is it acceptable, yes. Do you always wear a jacket on smart casual night? If you do, you can join me as being in the minority. I don't wear jeans and t-shirts in the MDR, but I think that they are acceptable. People cruise for different reasons. Some to relax and unwind, a change from their everyday routine. Our everyday routine is very casual, so we enjoy the opportunity to dress every night, but I understand and accept those who have a different view.

i never said that it did, you obviously don't understand what is suggested is just that. What is acceptable is a much wider variety. Next time you are in the mdr for dinner, look around, especially on smart casual night. How many men do you see in jackets? Probably a lot less than 50%, is it meeting the suggested dress, no, is it acceptable, yes. Do you always wear a jacket on smart casual night? If you do, you can join me as being in the minority. I don't wear jeans and t-shirts in the mdr, but i think that they are acceptable. People cruise for different reasons. Some to relax and unwind, a change from their everyday routine. Our everyday routine is very casual, so we enjoy the opportunity to dress every night, but i understand and accept those who have a different view.

awesome!

2 times in GOS in Dec... There was smart casual... And 70s Casual, tropical casual, ....

Another thing, when i wear jacket and tie in Casual, some people say to me "It's not a formal night... You should'nt wear this." ....

Interesting post. So RCL still has "theme" nights, during which one can choose to participate or not. Since "formal night" is in reality just another theme night, why should anyone care how others are dressed? Some choose to participate, some do not. It's really that simple.

On the 1/11/14 10 night western caribbean sailing of the Grandeur of the Seas we had 3 formal nights and 7 casual nights even though Royal Caribbean lists 2 formal, 2 smart casual, and 6 casual for our sailing. Makes it a bit difficult to dress to the code when you can't properly pack for a vacation. They don't even stay consistent with what they tell us ahead of time, the cruise documents said a different amount with 2 formal, 3 smart casual, and 5 casual. Still not accurate.

I find I dress the same whether it is casual or smart casual, really can't see much differance in how we see people attend dinner in the MDR. Only one time did we see a couple and young daughter arrive on a formal night in shorts. They were stopped for several minutes but eventually allowed in. Upon seeing all the ladies in nice evening dresses or black slacks and men in their suitcoats, I would not have wanted to go in if I were the mans wife.

I never said that it did, you obviously don't understand what is suggested is just that. What is acceptable is a much wider variety. Next time you are in the MDR for dinner, look around, especially on smart casual night. How many men do you see in jackets? Probably a lot less than 50%, is it meeting the suggested dress, no, is it acceptable, yes. Do you always wear a jacket on smart casual night? If you do, you can join me as being in the minority. I don't wear jeans and t-shirts in the MDR, but I think that they are acceptable. People cruise for different reasons. Some to relax and unwind, a change from their everyday routine. Our everyday routine is very casual, so we enjoy the opportunity to dress every night, but I understand and accept those who have a different view.

Love it!

I also love the fact that RCI gives you the option of having a table for just your family. Me and my wife went on a Carnival cruise and on a non-formal night were sat with about 10 other folks who we didn't know from Adam. We felt out of place and because we weren't dressed in suits and ties and evening gowns we felt uncomfortable and got up and left before our order was taken. We will steer clear of the MDR on formal nights just because that's just not us. Not going to stress over dress codes, I'd rather eat room service.

On the 1/11/14 10 night western caribbean sailing of the Grandeur of the Seas we had 3 formal nights and 7 casual nights even though Royal Caribbean lists 2 formal, 2 smart casual, and 6 casual for our sailing.

I can confirm that Caribbean sailings may be skipping the Smart Casual. Just back from 7 day Carribean on Seranade and we had 5 Casuals, 2 Formals.

I can confirm that Caribbean sailings may be skipping the Smart Casual. Just back from 7 day Carribean on Seranade and we had 5 Casuals, 2 Formals.

Seems like all the main stream Cruise lines are doing this. I like it. No more sports coat to pack.