San Fran Mark Hopkins Intercont Hotel

Luvsprincess

We stayed at the MH for three days post Princess cruise a few years ago. Nice hotel, loved the Top of the Mark at sun set for a drink and to listen to the pianist. It's located a distance from the Wharf area, so hopping onto a cable car to the base of the hill became our standard mode of transportation. Late at night, we got a taxi to take us back. We walked across the street to check out the Fairmont - seemed more traditional and if we returned and wanted to splurge, would stay there over the MH.

Pre cruise we stayed at the Tuscan, and also enjoyed it. We had a great corner room, hotel staff was very nice, complimentary wine in the lobby lounge at night, biscotti and coffee in the morning. It was an easy walk to the Wharf area and restaurants.

Darcy

Classic old San Francisco hotel. Great service. Rooms are a little on the small side.

Just as a head's up though, locals HATE their city being called "San Fran" or "Frisco". Use the full name (San Francisco) or as many bay area residents refer to it as "The City".

Haven't stayed there since I was a kid...

But my brother used to live just about a block from the hotel on California Street...so I am very familiar with the location.

It is a stately, grand old first class hotel...A San Francisco landmark...

It is fairly convenient to a lot of San Francisco--just not by walking...

San Francisco is built on a series of very steep hills...and this hotel is at the summit of Nob Hill--one of the steepest...so, if you walk anywhere, it's a very difficult walk back...We would often walk down to Chinatown--which is fairly close--about three blocks east, DOWN the hill on California to Grant Avenue, then left...But then take a taxi back--to avoid walking up Nob Hill...Then, following Columbus, North Beach (Italian Restaurant district) is just beyond that, Fishermans Wharf beyond that...

The Cable Car goes right by the hotel and the Powell-Hyde line will take you to Fishermans Wharf...The Powell-Mason line will take you to North Beach...

Nob Hill is a very upscale neighborhood, the views are great...

Personally, though, for tourists, I prefer Fishermans Wharf for a little more convenience...but, the Mark would always be a nice choice...but, typically, a high price...

Classic old San Francisco hotel. Great service. Rooms are a little on the small side.

Just as a head's up though, locals HATE their city being called "San Fran" or "Frisco". Use the full name (San Francisco) or as many bay area residents refer to it as "The City".

I call it San Francisco. I know that is correct.

Please know, however, that many Marines and Sailors, coming home from World War II, called it Frisco. These were upright, sincere men, who had just done their best for America, and they were happy to be alive and returning home. Many of these were farm boys or small town boys or boys from big city bad neighborhoods. They meant no harm. They loved telling of the beauty of the lights on the hillsides, as their ships brought them home.

They loved it. No harm intended. To be alive and home, they felt nothing could be better.