Real Jamaican Blue Mountain coffee in Old San Juan?

jeph

My cruise (starting Jan 25th) goes nowhere near Jamaica, but San Juan offers plenty of "shopportunities". I want to be sure to get the REAL DEAL-- 100% Blue Mountain, and not just a blend with a little Blue Mountain thrown in. Can anyone recommend a reputable shop in the Old City that carries it?

...and my apologies if I've injured your pride! I do know that Puerto Rico produces some pretty kickass coffee of its own, and I certainly don't rule out buying some of that.

(If it's any comfort, I have this question posted in regard to my port stops in St Maarten and St Thomas as well...)

...and my apologies if I've injured your pride! I do know that Puerto Rico produces some pretty kickass coffee of its own, and I certainly don't rule out buying some of that.

(If it's any comfort, I have this question posted in regard to my port stops in St Maarten and St Thomas as well...)

It's may not be a question of pride- but just plain old availability. You won't find Puerto Rican coffee in Jamaica any more than vise versa. Why would you sell someone else's goods when you have your own to sell.

I just moved to OSJ and find myself going back to Cuatro Sombras to buy my coffee. Probably one of the best coffees I have tasted. They're on Calle Recinto Sur. You won't be disappointed!

Another vote for Cuatro Sombras! The coffe comes from the family owned farm and is roasted on site. I spent a while talking to the roaster/barista. I also brought some of their green coffee home with me to roast here.

11412467876_68658f3cf0_b.jpg

PC060195 by rclewen, on Flickr

11412462756_3a6944190d_b.jpg

PC060198 by rclewen, on Flickr

11413564916_1d64df4231_b.jpg

PC060200 by rclewen, on Flickr

BTW, 100% Blue Mountain is hard to find because the vast majority of the crop is sold to Japan.

For that matter, Puerto Rican coffee is hard to find outside of Puerto Rico because most of what is grown there is consumed on the island.

To me Blue Mountain is just OK and doesn't deliver for the price. If you haven't tried coffee from Papua New Guinea, try to find some, preferably fresh roasted. I like it better than Blue Mountain or Kona and it is a fraction of the price.

No worries- not offended. It is just a fact- almost impossible to find any coffee other than PR produced stuff in PR.

There is a new Bad@ss Kona Coffee Shop open in OSJ. Even they offer some PR coffees, along with the Kona.

But no chance of finding Jamaican coffee here.

I don't know where you live, but:

You can buy 100% Jamaican Blue Mountain coffee at Trader Joe's. ;)

I wouldn't try to buy any Jamaican coffee on your trip. Definitely don't buy at a tourist shop - you have no way of knowing if it is 1)actually Blue Mountain and 2)what quality it is.

I'm lucky to have a Trader Joe's just a few miles from me, and shop there often, but had never noticed what coffees they carry, not being a regular coffee drinker myself (this is intended as a gift for some nice neighbors who cat-sit for me when I travel). I sure won't worry about running around searching for it down in the Caribbean if I can just go to the mall in Hadley!;)