20/20 story

Jimmy Geegitz

Of course my mom called after seeing the news and I had to explain to her that there is no way she fell over the balcony. It just isn't gonna happen unless someone is climbing or sitting on the railing. Or taking a running leap over it. Sad for the girl's experience, but definitely no liability for Carnival. She should be thankful they were able to rescue her.

Maybe it is just me, however after watching the 20/20 video a few times. It appears to me like when she went over she was reaching for something. If watch close it appears as first one arm then the other comes over. Touched the side of the ship, then she falls.

Sent using the Cruise Critic forums app

Couldn't believe she is suing and couldn't believe they gave her air-time. But I also couldn't believe how many people fall overboard!

Just my opinion but I think a lot of folks that "fall overboard" do so deliberately

I saw the 20/20 report. It looked to me like she had been leaning over the rail. Where were her fiance and her best friend? When you drink with your friends, you are supposed to be looking out for each other.

I think Carnival got back to her as soon as they could and they did save her. She ought to be happy she is alive and grateful that Carnival did pull her out. Instead, she shows her gratitude by suing them. I hope her case gets thrown out and she takes personal responsiblility for her recklessness. No one made her drink or lean over the rail. Ridiculous!

The only thing I will say here is that I think the videos should be monitored until they get the equipment put in place that alerts security automatically.

Think of the logistics of that... probably hundreds of cameras around the ship. How many people are needed to stare at all those monitors every moment the ship is at sea? And if they blink or turn their head for a second, they would completely miss the instant someone falls.

Fahgetaboutit - that ain't gonna work. I'll just think twice before reenacting the "King of the World" Titanic scene in the darkness of midnight... or climbing over the railing to go from one balcony to another... or having sex on a balcony railing...

(actually sex on the balcony railing might be tempting. LOL)

Edited by crooooze

Just saw this on our news coverage but my question is if she was as drunk as they say how did she manage to stay alive in the water for 90 minutes!? And I feel this lawsuit should be tossed out immediately.

That is what I was wondering while watching also. How she kept swimming and floating alternatively long enough to stay alive if she was that drunk.

I am 5'8" and I do not see how anyone could accidentally fall over the rail unless they were really, really tall and doing something stupid.

It seems that the technology isn't completed yet; which is why they don't have it. I think they should have somebody monitoring the video cameras.

Also, she may have been over served alcohol. However, they SAVED her life. If that happened to me, I would feel such a huge sense of appreciation and gratitude. I'd feel like they were my heroes.

I can't see suing a company that just saved your life. I think a thank you card would be in order. :rolleyes:

They monitor the photo galleries for people stealing photos (or taking pictures of their photos) more than they do the decks

Copyofth_Carnival-VIFP-Platinum_zps41db4d4e1_zps02e438c7.jpg

cfi_countdown.php?vars=1391904000,-8,ca_carnival,first%20Miracle%20cruise%20

cfi_countdown.php?vars=1396058400,-8,ca_celebrity,cruising%20the%20Pacific%20Coastal%20on%20Century

Sent from my iPod

They monitor the photo galleries for people stealing photos (or taking pictures of their photos) more than they do the decks

Copyofth_Carnival-VIFP-Platinum_zps41db4d4e1_zps02e438c7.jpg

cfi_countdown.php?vars=1391904000,-8,ca_carnival,first%20Miracle%20cruise%20

cfi_countdown.php?vars=1396058400,-8,ca_celebrity,cruising%20the%20Pacific%20Coastal%20on%20Century

Sent from my iPod

Maybe they should just attach one of those stickers to people's butt's upon boarding. Then if they go over the side, the little things could trigger the buzzer! LOL! :D

Edited by firemanbobswife

If she is suing, then Carnival should be countersuing for the cost of the rescue!

Sent from my SCH-I915 using Forums mobile app

Carnival knows how to do that! In the aftermath of the Triumph incident at the shipyard in Mobile, Carnival filed pre-emptive lawsuits on everyone with sight of the Mobile River. BAE Systems, US Army Corp and even the widow of the shipyard security guard who drowned in the river. There were more who were sued, but they escape me right now. Carnival knows how to circle their legal wagons.

So I'm confused...when did this actually happen? 2012 or 2013? This YouTube video of the news story was published in May of 2013 and the reporter states that this happened last October. So I'm thinking October 2012 right? Why are we just now hearing about this?

Edited by ginak82

Good to see the Cheers program is working. It's truly amazing someone can drink themselves into oblivion, and claim someone else is responsible.

But when Carnival is promoting the heck out of their "all you can drink" program, we had to know stuff like this was going to happen. Question is, who is ultimately responsible? Seems like both sides should bear some of the blame.

I'm actually quite shocked we haven't heard more of this kind of thing happening from people being extremely intoxicated I.E. people overboard, fires being started, etc.

Good to see the Cheers program is working. It's truly amazing someone can drink themselves into oblivion, and claim someone else is responsible.

But when Carnival is promoting the heck out of their "all you can drink" program, we had to know stuff like this was going to happen. Question is, who is ultimately responsible? Seems like both sides should bear some of the blame.

I'm actually quite shocked we haven't heard more of this kind of thing happening from people being extremely intoxicated I.E. people overboard, fires being started, etc.

B.S. You are just as bad as her. This happened in Oct of 2012. The Cheers program was not available on the Destiny at that time. Get your facts straight.

Does anyone not blame Carnival ?

I just watched the story on my DVR and taking 20 minutes to tell the captain AFTER staff was informed then check the camera, then start to try to rescue her !!! It should have been immediate ,once someone says they saw someone overboard things should have been taken seriously from that moment on.Regardless sober or drunk the cruise line didn't respond they way they should have

Does anyone not blame Carnival ?

I just watched the story on my DVR and taking 20 minutes to tell the captain AFTER staff was informed then check the camera, then start to try to rescue her !!! It should have been immediate ,once someone says they saw someone overboard things should have been taken seriously from that moment on.Regardless sober or drunk the cruise line didn't respond they way they should have

Diito! That is what the lawsuit is all about, is it not?

Edited by janetz

If someone reports a man overboard...Unless they see it throw a life ring to them (which will alert everyone) and then report it the staff has to first check the "validity" of the sighting on the camera. If you watched the story the person reporting "man overboard" i.e. the just as intoxicated roommate may or may not have been credible based on their state of intoxication.

My guess is the 20 minute delay was the time it took security to go to the camera room and check every camera onboard to verify that someone went overboard. As soon as it was verified the captain was told as well as told the coordinates/area the person went overboard.

You guys act like a cruise ship stops on a dime, turns around, and can chug on back to where the person fell in a minute or 2.

Then the cruise ship has to lower a lifeboat, man the lifeboat, and search a pitch black ocean for a bobbing head that may or may not be very visible from the surface.

As most have said the woman is lucky she made it home from the cruise alive.

So lets see by the same logic if I hit a dump truck at 90mph. Ford should hold part of the blame. After all they sold me a car that could go that fast. The same as the claim would be that Carnival sold the cheers program. They sold a product you and only you are responsible for how you use ot.

Sent using the Cruise Critic forums app

I don't, not one bit. And from reading many post on this on various news reports I'm not alone.

If it was a 4 year old kid at 11am that fell overboard and it took 20 minutes to decide what to do would you feel the same?

And regardless of her state especially if she was drunk and not properly flagged by staff the cruise line is even more responsible .Its against the law to serve an intoxicated person,(bartender for over 20 years here and I know the laws and rules)

Wonder if this will affect their cheers program?

I do not think it will affect the cheers program it is not like the bar tenders were pouring drinks drown her throat, However when is one too drink to be served that may another question.

Gary

Edited by Shipbound