20/20 story

Jimmy Geegitz

He might have pushed her over. Not all matches are heavenly, you know. ;)

Actually when this initially happened there were allegations that there was some sort of love triangle between the overboard girl & her friend & the guy as all 3 we're staying in same room & they may have "helped" her over. Also read she had on a life vest. Again facts are missing. Why did they not talk to the other 2 individuals on the balcony with her.

Sharon

Sent using the Cruise Critic forums app

Thank you. Better yet, a 4-year old would have had sense enough not to let this happen. This woman is an ungrateful idiot. I hope Carnival sues her. They should have left her in the water for shark bait. Not for even a nano second do I feel sorry for her or agree with her lawsuit...obviously:)

Actually, if my child went over, on my watch, I'd probably jump over myself after her. And if I didn't, and I started alerting people my child went overboard, I would want to know why it takes 29 minutes for that information to get to the captain.

If a passenger is concerned about their safety, they shouldn't drink past what they can safely handle. It is obvious she was way past that point.

Where in the contract is there anything about a man overboard situation? Where is there anything in the contract about a cruise line being responsible for a customer's stupidity? Show me a rule that was violated by Carnival in the contract?

I hope the idiot loses and has to pay Carnival's legal fees. She should count her blessings because I would have left her stupid butt in the water.

You do bring up a good point. In more than 25 cruises, I've never heard instruction as to what we, as passengers, should do should we see someone go over. Maybe I just missed it. But I'd certainly feel helpless right now should I find myself in that situation.

A guest loses responsibility when they drank too much.You hit the nail on the head

That's why bartenders(and drink servers) are trained and certified to know the warning signs of intoxication and the procedures to keep guests safe in such situations

My guess is their is a bartender or server who over served this girl and Carnival will pay nicely once the sign and sail records are revealed and cannot pass the blame to anyone else :)

Must be a liberal the way you love to twist words and come up with meanings that were never written or implied. I explicit stated that someone does not remove themselves for being responsible for themselves, no matter how much they had to drink, nor coke that they snorted, nor heroin that they shot themselves with. As long as a person is breathing and of adult age, they are responsible for themselves and their actions, no one else.

I'm guessing (granted this is just purely a guess based on your posts) that you must LOVE Obama's nanny state where the government (or someone is forced) to assume responsibility for your actions.

Carnival won't pay a dime. And I love how you assume it was a bartender's fault when you have absolutely no proof whatsoever (did she smuggle, did other's buy for her, etc......). You sound like a lawyer, and an ambulance chaser at that.

Edited by Out to sea!

You do bring up a good point. In more than 25 cruises, I've never heard instruction as to what we, as passengers, should do should we see someone go over. Maybe I just missed it. But I'd certainly feel helpless right now should I find myself in that situation.

They have life rings all around the open decks. Common sense would tell me to throw one to the person in the water and scream my head off to get attention. Of course, if it was someone drunk who fell over, I may be laughing too hard to do much of anything else. ;)

Carnival won't pay a dime. And I love how you assume it was a bartender's fault when you have absolutely no proof whatsoever (did she smuggle, did other's buy for her, stc......). You sound like a lawyer, and an ambulance chaser at that.

You say this as a fact. No one yet knows what Carnival will pay. Right now they have allegedly stated they are not libel. That is normal protocol. Even criminals usually state they are innocent.

They have life rings all around the open decks. Common sense would tell me to throw one to the person in the water and scream my head off to get attention. Of course, if it was someone drunk who fell over, I may be laughing too hard to do much of anything else. ;)

So you are actually saying that the witnesses of this accident should have proceeded to an open deck, found a ring, and tossed it?

You say this as a fact. No one yet knows what Carnival will pay. Right now they have allegedly stated they are not libel. That is normal protocol. Even criminals usually state they are innocent.

I agree that Carnival isn't liable...sorry but everyone has to exercise some personally responsibility. Even when I get stupid drunk (maybe once a year if that) I make plans ahead of time not to drive and I know when not to take another sip of alcohol and I take friends to look out for me.

I do have one bartender in a bar I frequent that can tell when I'm starting to get beyond a good buzz but she is also my friend so....

Must be a liberal the way you love to twist words and come up with meanings that were never written or implied. I explicit stated that someone does not remove themselves for being responsible for themselves, no matter how much they had to drink, nor coke that they snorted, nor heroin that they shot themselves with. As long as a person is breathing and of adult age, they are responsible for themselves and their actions, no one else.

I'm guessing (granted this is just purely a guess based on your posts) that you must LOVE Obama's nanny state where the government (or someone is forced) to assume responsibility for your actions.

Carnival won't pay a dime. And I love how you assume it was a bartender's fault when you have absolutely no proof whatsoever (did she smuggle, did other's buy for her, etc......). You sound like a lawyer, and an ambulance chaser at that.

I love the personal attacks :) post after post and I am sure the moderators will love them as well.They will get a copy from this point on .We all need to follow the rules even on cruise critic ;)

I love the personal attacks :) post after post and I am sure the moderators will love them as well.They will get a copy from this point on .We all need to follow the rules even on cruise critic ;)

And its pretty telling that you find someone calling another a liberal is a personal ATTACK ;)

It is a fact as the court being sued in does not have jurisdiction over Maritime law at sea outside of a country's borders.

A rather scary trend in this country I would say !!!

You do know the website the poster referenced is satire and not real news?

The other story on the web page about Japan granting suffrage to female robots might have given it away.;)

So you are actually saying that the witnesses of this accident should have proceeded to an open deck, found a ring, and tossed it?

I will say, considering the complaining of the captain to be notified for 20 minutes, if any witnesses gave a hoot about this drunk woman going overboard, it would have taken considerably less than 20 minutes to go to an open deck and toss a life ring.

I'm not saying what any other passenger should do. You stated you had no idea what to do (even after 25 cruises which would assume that means at least 100+days at sea) and I gave you two possible options. What you do is up to you and does not matter to me in the slightest.

You are free to report anything you so choose, just as I am. I have made no attacks on anyone (you included), simply making observations based on postings. You are free to agree or disagree with my observations any time you so choose.

As an FYI, what some considers to be a personal attack others consider to be a badge of honor. To each his own.

One funny thing I found though, you talking about others supposedly not following rules is a lot like a pot attempting to call a kettle black being that you are a self admitted smuggler. :D

I was years ago on Carnival .I tried to smuggle through the line in my carry on and was called over to a little area right by check in and they noted my bottles and on the last night they were in my cabin

This recent cruise last month I brought one rum runner and some airplane bottles in my shaving bag and no issues all made it through

Edited by Out to sea!

She feels it took too long for the ship to come back and get her. I imagine it would take time to report the fall, verify there was indeed a fall. Should a ship turn around without evidence of a fall? Yep, I can see it now, pranksters saying so and so fell off just to see what a ship will do.

Apparently the crew did not notify the Captain for 24 minutes. However, I agree with you that the crew needed to be sure that someone did, in fact, fall overboard. Her attorney's argument was that no one was monitoring the webcam that showed her falling. Therefore, I can "understand" that she felt she could have been rescued sooner. However, it seems that people today want to sue instead of taking responsibility for their own actions.

The cabins all have life vests, and they float !!!! At least, that is what I have heard and am passing this on to those who don't know. Did those who saw her go over toss her anything to help her stay afloat ??????

You are free to report anything you so choose, just as I am. I have made no attacks on anyone (you included), simply making observations based on postings. You are free to agree or disagree with my observations any time you so choose.

As an FYI, what some considers to be a personal attack others consider to be a badge of honor. To each his own.

One funny thing I found though, you talking about others supposedly not following rules is a lot like a pot attempting to call a kettle black being that you are a self admitted smuggler. :D

NO ,NO ,NO you got it all wrong I never said I followed the rules I just said some claim that they do and never break rules or laws :)

I no longer drink but when I did I smuggled liquor and encourage it still :)

My $41 carnival stock is doing just fine letting others be ripped off by paying 5 times what they should for a bottle of liquor ;)

I feel like a celebrity having people search through my old posts though ...LMAO

NO ,NO ,NO you got it all wrong I never said I followed the rules I just said some claim that they do and never break rules or laws :)

I no longer drink but when I did I smuggled liquor and encourage it still :)

My $41 carnival stock is doing just fine letting others be ripped off by paying 5 times what they should for a bottle of liquor ;)

I feel like a celebrity having people search through my old posts though ...LMAO

Frankly...you need to get over yourself :cool:. Just sayin'.

The cabins all have life vests, and they float !!!! At least, that is what I have heard and am passing this on to those who don't know. Did those who saw her go over toss her anything to help her stay afloat ??????

I must respond by saying my last cruise, my cabin had none. That s the only time.

I must respond by saying my last cruise, my cabin had none. That s the only time.

Really, why didn't you tell them during the muster drill you had no life vests. 9 days ago on my most recent cruise, the specifically repeated make sure the # of life vests equals the number of persons in the cabin and if not tell the muster drill supervisor.