Navigator Wine Package (7 bottle) price reduction??

Alphen

Thanks Ann.. Should have realised that.:rolleyes:

Now I presume (and dont laugh) that because I book one package for the dining room under my name they wont only let just myself drink it lol.

Edited by ighten

Berringer White Zin - at the grocery $4.50 on frequent sales - 2 glasses each

Berringer White Zin - on a ship around $42.50 - 2 glasses each

Crown Royal on the ship - around $48.75 for lots of drinks (1 liter bottle)

We're ordering the Crown for the room and before dinner drinks :D:D

Hi

When you go out to eat in a restaunrant How much does that bottle of wine cost you is it the same as the supermarket? every time you go out to eat and order wine. That 10.00 bottle will be doubled ot more likly tripled maybe more.

Mary

Hi

When you go out to eat in a restaunrant How much does that bottle of wine cost you is it the same as the supermarket? every time you go out to eat and order wine. That 10.00 bottle will be doubled ot more likly tripled maybe more.

Mary

In a restaurant the grocery store bottle of $4.50 Barringers Zin is normally in the $24 to $28 range ... still a far cry from $42.50. The restaurant price would average $6 to $7 per glass ... a fair enough price IMHO. But the HAL price makes that same wine price out (if bought by individual bottles) around $10.60 per glass.

Will we buy the ship's wine package for dinners? ... Yes, for the convenience but if we "need" an extra bottle we'll probably opt for "by the glass".

Hi

Mary

We do not think of cruise ships the same way we think of restaurants. We have been on cruises longer then 60 days...and have never spent 60 days in a restaurant :). As to the prices, we have seen many less expensive wines marked-up by 600%+ on some cruise lines! If they only doubled the price we would be in Oenophile Heaven.

I guess we can again comment on the Navigator Package (which we have purchased several times). The selections on that package are not very good, and HAL could easily improve the selections and stay in the same price range. And we feel the same about their entire wine list. I recall one long Grand Cruise where they only had a single Malbec available and it was not a particularly good buy. And we will not even begin to talk about the HAL Super Tuscan selection! We think whoever makes the wine selections up in Seattle should either be "Keelhauled" or even worse made to drink the HAL wine selection forever :).

And then we could talk about the HAL beer selection (the worst at sea) but that is another topic that would inflame many beer lovers.

Hank

Edited by Hlitner

We find the Admiral's package has much better selection of wines than the Navigator's package. We can always find two or three that we are happy with.

The pricing, even with 50% off, is high, but the wines are much more drinkable.

Agree! But we are convinced that HAL prices these two packages (Navigator and Admiral) with 3,4 and 5 Star Mariners in mind. The list is carefully selected so that they still net a nice profit even when they give us a 50% discount. We would never buy these packages at full price!

Hank

We do not think of cruise ships the same way we think of restaurants. We have been on cruises longer then 60 days...and have never spent 60 days in a restaurant :). As to the prices, we have seen many less expensive wines marked-up by 600%+ on some cruise lines! If they only doubled the price we would be in Oenophile Heaven.

I guess we can again comment on the Navigator Package (which we have purchased several times). The selections on that package are not very good, and HAL could easily improve the selections and stay in the same price range. And we feel the same about their entire wine list. I recall one long Grand Cruise where they only had a single Malbec available and it was not a particularly good buy. And we will not even begin to talk about the HAL Super Tuscan selection! We think whoever makes the wine selections up in Seattle should either be "Keelhauled" or even worse made to drink the HAL wine selection forever :).

And then we could talk about the HAL beer selection (the worst at sea) but that is another topic that would inflame many beer lovers.

Hank

Hank, you are right on, as always. It is one thing to have a 2 to 3 times mark up like fine restaurants on land, but the markup that HAL charges is just obscene! The part that really goads me, is that you can only bring one bottle onboard to enjoy in your room. No natter the length of the cruise. Anything more gets confiscated. Imagine going to a really nice hotel and they tell you, I'm sorry sir, but we will have to take that second bottle of Clicqout Champagne you have. You are only allowed to take one to your room per stay. Tomorrow is our anniversary. I sure hope the Renaissance wasn't bought out by HAL. :-)

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app

Edited by cruisinsince75

We were just on the Noordam for New Year's and purchased the Admiral Package. We really enjoyed the Franciscan. It is currently priced at $18 here at home. Perhaps you might like to try it before you leave to see if it appeals to you?

So the mark-up on this wine is not bad (38,42$ on Hal + 15%).

I would like to know the store prices of the other wines

Agree! But we are convinced that HAL prices these two packages (Navigator and Admiral) with 3,4 and 5 Star Mariners in mind. The list is carefully selected so that they still net a nice profit even when they give us a 50% discount. We would never buy these packages at full price!

Hank

Agree!

Although before the Star program, we did buy the Navigator package. Young and foolish, I guess!