Cell service

JacqueOCS

Cell phone service while on the ship, as mentioned, is $2.49 a minute. However, NCL has dropped the price for using the ships' phones now to, I believe, $1.99 a minute, which makes it a better deal than using you own cell.

Sort of. If somebody is trying to call you, then the ship has to take a message and try to find you. They do not page people. And, if you are ashore, no luck at all.

Be careful about using cell service on the islands and on the ship. In addition to the ship's charges, you will most likely be paying "international roaming" fees, which can be quite expensive.

Check with your cell phone provider, and see what adding international coverage (even for a short time) would cost. It might be cheaper than the international roaming fees you'll rack up.

Texting is a cheaper option, if your husband can conduct his business that way. You can also buy an internet package on the ship to use email through the ship's wifi.

Turning off your phone and enjoying your vacation is an even cheaper option...and it's more fun!! :-)

Edited by VideoTech

Be careful about using cell service on the islands and on the ship. In addition to the ship's charges, you will most likely be paying "international roaming" fees, which can be quite expensive....

The $2.49 on the ship is all inclusive.... no extra charges.

There are some intl plan for certain countries though.

Get a basic internet plan from ship if absolutely necessary.

We always get an internet package.

Some people MUST have phone service available and internet will not handle the issue. Luckily, it is easily available and not terribly priced unless you have some long call of course.

The $2.49 on the ship is all inclusive.... no extra charges.

There are some intl plan for certain countries though.

My understanding is that the $2.49 is just what the SHIP charges you to use their cell phone to satellite link. Your international roaming charges would be added by your cell phone provider. See this page: http://www.ncl.com/about/staying-connected-sea-cellular-phone-service-texting

Search the boards...there are many, many posts from people who didn't thoroughly research this and were shocked by the size of their cell phone bills for the period of the cruise!

Edited by VideoTech

My understanding is that the $2.49 is just what the SHIP charges you to use their cell phone to satellite link. Your international roaming charges would be added by your cell phone provider. See this page: http://www.ncl.com/about/staying-connected-sea-cellular-phone-service-texting

Search the boards...there are many, many posts from people who didn't thoroughly research this and were shocked by the size of their cell phone bills for the period of the cruise!

The $2.49 is the ONLY charge. It shows on your cell bill when you get home. You will not get a bill from the ship.

Have done this on many cruises and know it is true.

The $2.49 is the ONLY charge. It shows on your cell bill when you get home. You will not get a bill from the ship.

Have done this on many cruises and know it is true.

I'm not disagreeing with you. I agree that the ship charges you $2.49 and it shows up on your cell phone bill. That is for calls originating from the ship.

What I *am* warning people about is additional charges imposed by your cell carrier for international calls...not all plans are the same, and not all carriers treat these calls the same way.

If you land in Jamaica or Grand Cayman or anywhere, and connect to the local cell phone network, then you are making an international call and may suddenly find yourself being charged heavily for it. Many people have been surprised by these add-on charges when they get home, and I'm just trying to have them check with their own provider about any additional charges for that type of call.

I'm not disagreeing with you. I agree that the ship charges you $2.49 and it shows up on your cell phone bill. That is for calls originating from the ship.

What I *am* warning people about is additional charges imposed by your cell carrier for international calls...not all plans are the same, and not all carriers treat these calls the same way.

If you land in Jamaica or Grand Cayman or anywhere, and connect to the local cell phone network, then you are making an international call and may suddenly find yourself being charged heavily for it. Many people have been surprised by these add-on charges when they get home, and I'm just trying to have them check with their own provider about any additional charges for that type of call.

Guess I read your post wrong.

Yes, $2.49 on the ship. Total charge no matter what plan you have.

The rate you pay in each country will vary. You can see the rates on the carrier websites before you leave. Some carriers do have an intl package that may lower the rate some, but not much.

The biggest surprise that many people encounter happens when they let a teenager text. They can do hundreds of texts an hour, really.