Solstice Live: Australia/NZ/Hawaii, Many Pix’s, Jan. 20-Feb. 3

TLCOhio

As detailed by many of our guides in both Australia and New Zealand, sheep have a key part of their economy and agriculture settings for this region of the world. As our Queenstown guide noted, around 1982, NZ had 70 million sheep when the nation only had 3.5 million people. Some European Common Market rules adjustments limited and reduced how certain aspects of these exports would work after this point in time. The current number is about 35-39 million sheep here in this nation of 4.3 million. They have the highest density of sheep per unit area in the world.

For 130 years, sheep farming was the country's most important agricultural industry, until overtaken by dairy farming in 1987. There are 16,000 sheep and beef farms in the country which has made the country the world's largest exporter of lambs. Per Wikipedia, sheep were introduced into New Zealand between 1773 and 1777 with credit given to the famed British explorer, Captain James Cook. Later in the 19th century, the most successful breed raised was the Spanish breed of Merino sheep. Makes nice wool and sweaters! Even in the late 1960's, sheep and wool accounted for over a third of all NZ export revenues.

Personally, I enjoy learning how these various economic factors play a role in a country's history, current events, connection with the population, etc. But, at night, I was not counting sheep in order to get to sleep on the Solstice!! Plenty tired from each day's busy activities.

THANKS! Enjoy! Terry in Ohio

For details and visuals, etc., from our July 1-16, 2010, Norway Coast/Fjords/Arctic Circle cruise experience from Copenhagen on the Silver Cloud, check out this posting. This posting is now over 134,205 views.

http://www.boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1227923

Sheep??!! Yes, they are a key part of the New Zesland story. Here are some visual samples for many of these animals that we saw in various parts of NZ during our travels. Cute, too!!:

QueentownExcur1stA_zps7fc94670.jpg

Sheep1Acopy_zps117caf59.jpg

QueentownExcur1stA2_zps867f30ae.jpg

Sheep1A_zpse9dab080.jpg

During our travels to Queenstown, we also saw a number of herds of deer or, as they called on higher-end dining places, “Fjordland South Island Venison". Sounds very classy!! Apparently, these deer are very valuable as crop, including for some of the bucks with their antlers being very prized in certain Asian countries.:

QueentownExcur1stA1_zps1b836f1e.jpg

For our first day in New Zealand, the later afternoon schedule was adjusted to do a visit to Arrowtown, a historic gold-mining town from the 1800's when this was a very busy and wealthy area.

As some of the pictures below show, this is a town worth a visit. Not big. Does not take massive amount of time. It gives a good sampling of that 1800's history from this part of NZ. During the high point of the gold rush, its population rose to over 7,000. The town reached a population of fewer than 200 people in the 1960's before gaining popularity as a tourist location in recent years. There are nearby resorts, championship golf courses, etc. Classy and very nice here. Plus, great beauty!

Here is a view of the main street in Arrowtown with lots of character and charm. Plus, many shops! High-quality ones!! Just the kind that my wife and others love. As you can see, there were historic places for beers, cheese, etc., too! Not just clothing and jade/jewelry. The final picture is of a cute display in one of the wool/sweater shops there.:

QueentownExcurA43_zps2d91792c.jpg

QueentownExcurA41_zpsefc31a81.jpg

QueentownExcurA39_zpseaa39217.jpg

QueentownExcurA40_zps3227e4fc.jpg

QueentownExcurA42_zpsa1e2d9ce.jpg

QueentownExcurA38_zpsd85f38df.jpg

Here are some more visual "eye candy" samples from Arrowtown and then a few from in and around Queenstown.

Queenstown is a wonderful resort town on Lake Wakatipu, the long, thin Z-shaped lake formed by glacial action. The views in and around are spectacular, including the Remarkables, Cecil Peak and Walter Peak. It is the second largest town in Otago after Dunedin. Its usually resident population is a little over 13,000, an increase of 22.1% since 2001. The nearest larger cities are Dunedin and Invercargill. Queenstown has earned the title as the "Crazy Capital of the World", especially with its many adventure and ski tourism options.

Like jet boating, whitewater rafting, bungy jumping, mountain biking, skateboarding, sky diving and fly fishing? It's all here!! You will soon see more on the 100+-year-old, twin-screw, coal-fired steamer TSS Earnslaw that crosses Lake Wakatipu. Queenstown is also close to the center of a wine producing region, claimed to be the world's southernmost. See more soon!!

Here is some more of my visuals from Arrowtown, including one of its museum there. Second is an example for a label on one of the common types of sweater/wool combinations sold in NZ. I did not expect to see the word "possum" so advertised and valued. Plus, here is another charming building sample from this town.:

QueentownExcurA37_zps4b5e3f1b.jpg

QueentownExcurA35_zpsd04a861c.jpg

QueentownExcurA32_zps55d02dc5.jpg

Are liquor and wine prices cheap in NZ? No! Below is one costs on some of the "hard stuff" in an Arrowtown store. This includes for a famous brand from Cuba that we cannot get in the U.S.A. Rum is good, but costly here!:

QueentownExcurA36_zps93d9142d.jpg

Here are a couple of initial Queenstown visual samples. First, the view towards the famous Remarkable Mountains that tower over the scenic lake and its adjoining town. Second, a statute of explorer William Gilbert Rees, one of the first Europeans to settle the area. Rees established a high country farm in 1860, but the discovery of gold in the Arrow River in 1862 encouraged him to convert his wool shed into a hotel, do other businesses, etc. He got rich and the town grew.:

QueentownExcurA31_zps092814c9.jpg

QueentownExcurA29_zpsb3ded2d0.jpg

Hi, Terry

As per usual your well researched facts are mind boggling!

You have really captured a lot of the NZ spirit, landscape, tourist as well as the real stuff.

You have been so lucky with the weather. At the moment we are sweltering away with the humidity.

Hi, Terry. As per usual your well researched facts are mind boggling! You have really captured a lot of the NZ spirit, landscape, tourist as well as the real stuff. You have been so lucky with the weather. At the moment we are sweltering away with the humidity.

Appreciate these above comments from Waihekean and the added info for your more recent weather. I shared this with my wife. We were very lucky when visiting your island and the area. Had nice weather, good temperatures and low humidity.

Back to the Queenstown area. We boarded the TSS Earnslaw in the evening to travel on Lake Wakatipu and to visit the Walter Peak Station. This was all part of the "excursion" through the Solstice. This historic steamer is one of the oldest tourist attractions in this NZ region and the only remaining commercial, passenger-carrying, coal-fired ship in the southern hemisphere.

In February 1912, this coal-fired steamship was launched and it became a vessel for the New Zealand Railways, transporting sheep, cattle, goods and passengers to the surrounding high country stations. In 1968, the Earnslaw was nearly scrapped but she was saved for tourism uses. In March 1990, the Earnslaw carried Queen Elizabeth and Prince Philip. Other royalty to have traveled on board have been the King and Queen of Belgium and the Prince of Thailand, plus, of course, us American Royality, in late Jan. 2014. The TSS Earnslaw made a brief cameo appearance in the movie Indiana Jones and the Kingdom of the Crystal Skull (2008) as an Amazon River boat.

We traveled to the Walter Peak High Country Farm for an evening barbecue dining buffet at the historic Colonel's Homestead and to see a sheep/dog demonstration. On this ship, you can view the workings of the steam engine and stokers, the Captain's control area, etc. The weather was dramatically improving after rain and/or overcast conditions earlier this day. This was a wonderful way to complete our first day in New Zealand.

Here is a sampling for my visuals in connection with this steamship sailing leading to the dinner at the sheep station at the other end of this scenic lake. You can see a couple of closer views from this ship, including the old wood with the scenic mountains in the background, the ship captain at the controls, etc.:

QueentownExcurA24_zps2a4c81d5.jpg

QueentownExcurA27_zps7b5f4cab.jpg

QueentownExcurA28_zps668c2c15.jpg

Here is our excellent guide, John Wellington, talking with Izzy from our group and another couple. They are discussing aspect of NZ life and issues for this area during our ship's trip to the dinner program. These kind of times together were great to learn more about NZ, its history, etc.:

QueentownExcurA26_zps2e77a471.jpg

Here is an overview of the location where we would have our BBQ buffet dinner. Great mountain/lake setting, design and architecture!! Near this building is where the sheep-dog program was conducted later that evening.:

QueentownExcurA23_zps045547e5.jpg

Here is the BBQ area for cooking and severing the seven different types of meat at this buffet. You can see Amy and Milt from our Central Ohio group in the middle of this food-serving line.:

QueentownExcurA25_zps0e937d00.jpg

Here is more after our dinner at the sheep ranch, then some added visuals for Queenstown. Fortunately, our run of great NZ weather for the rest of our trip started in this great town.

Lake Wakatipu is the famed lake that Queenstown overlooks. It has The Remarkables as its dramatic mountain partner. It is a length of 50 miles and is New Zealand's longest lake. Its floor is below sea level, with a maximum depth of 1,250 feet and is at an altitude of 1,020 feet. The general topography is a reversed "N" shape or "dog leg". Its name comes from the original Māori word Whakatipu wai-māori, per Wikipedia.

After dinner, there was a demonstration for how dogs on such ranches herd sheep. Then, this experienced ranch worker showed how, in a very short time period, one of the sheep there can been trimmed and produce, in one single piece, a large amount of wool.:

QueentownExcurA20_zps9519b8a7.jpg

QueentownExcurA21_zps656b526e.jpg

Here are some other views from Queenstown, including this sampling of shopping options with Penny and Susan shown in the one of the nice woolen shops there. Plus, here are a couple of added views of buildings in their main downtown area. Much of Queenstown had a “feel” for a resort ski town such as Aspen. There was a McDonald's along their main street. But, we didn't go there. Not in NZ!! Too many better options.:

QueentownExcurA30_zps30fd0192.jpg

QueentownExcurA33_zps6f3352fb.jpg

QueentownExcurA34_zpsb9a60ff6.jpg

Early the next morning, before departing to go with our group to the bungee jumping bridge, this was the view out of the window from our hotel room at the very nice Heritage Hotel. Great view? Wonderful, scenic location? Had a buffet breakfast here at the hotel. Not missing any meals while on this ship excursion.:

QueenstownMtsViewA_zpsfabc7de9.jpg

We stopped at the Kawarau Suspension Bridge to see its rugged gorge where bungee-jumping was invented twenty-five years ago. This bridge is 141 feet above the river and was completed in 1881. It replaced a "punt" that was used to cross this river. The bridge formed a key access route to the Central Otago goldfields in the late 1800's. No “flying leaps” were included for our tour. Yes, we caught a number of jumpers making a dive into the gorge. And one person from our cruise on our bus did arrange in advance to do this jump. Could I have done this also? Yes, but after doing the Sydney Harbor BridgeClimb, I did not want to drive my wife too, too crazy with such a daring idea. There's always the next time in Queenstown. Maybe?

This operation, with its multi-level viewing areas, a gift shop (of course), is operated by the AJ Hackett Bungy Company. The "madness" began here in November 1988. More info at:

http://www.bungy.co.nz

By the way, this fun activity can be spelled as either bungee or bungy.

Here are a series of my pictures from the Kawarau Suspension Bridge and its dramatic gorge nearby to Queenstown. It's a classy bridge design in a setting that is world-class. The second picture shows how the platform is attached on its side for the jumps. In the third picture, you can see a young lady getting ready to make this famous bungee-jumping leap. Then, there is a visual with another person headed down toward the water. Finally, there is a look across the bridge as if one were ready to walk across this crossing. It's narrow!! It was built way before cars and trucks had been invented and built.:

QueentownExcurA17_zpsa21bfc30.jpg

QueentownExcurA14_zpsf2cbc62c.jpg

QueentownExcurA19_zpsfac8403c.jpg

QueentownExcurA22_zps967b81d5.jpg

QueentownExcurA18_zps6dd1fe97.jpg

Then, we stopped at the Gibbston Valley Winery, the southernmost winery in the world with unique caves (the largest in New Zealand) for the underground storage environment for the wine products. (See more at http://www.gibbstonvalleynz.com)

The small Victorian mountain village of Clyde is the stop for lunch before continuing through New Zealand’s gold mining country. It is about 34 miles and a little less than an hour from Queenstown to Clyde. From Clyde to Dunedin, it was about 2 hours and 20 minutes to cover those 124 miles.

From our stop at the Gibbston Valley Winery, here are some visuals, including one of their wine barrels, our tour guide with our group in the vineyards and inside this large cave for aging the wine. Finally, there was a cute sign that my wife liked outside of their cheese/gift shop. Yes, we got to taste and sample three different wines here. Good!!:

QueentownExcurA15_zpsf25cbcb8.jpg

QueentownExcurA16_zpsd30f5845.jpg

QueentownExcurA8_zps2559bfb5.jpg

QueentownExcurA9_zpse372835e.jpg

In the town of Clyde, here is the exterior of the location where we enjoyed lunch. It was an old post office. It was sunny this day as we dined outside in the lawn/garden area. Second is a picture of an old piece of mining equipment positioned outside one of the smaller villages where we made a mid-afternoon stop. During these travels we got a sample a wide range of these South Island countryside setting, etc.:

QueentownExcurA10_zpsad87653e.jpg

QueentownExcurA12_zps8617fccd.jpg

Our time in Scottish-styled Dunedin was limited, but we got a good sample of its best highlights, including its rail station. This eclectic, Flemish Renaissance-Revival building has dark basalt and lighter Oamaru stone facings, giving it a distinctive pattern seen in many of the more grand buildings of Dunedin and Christchurch. Pink granite was used for supporting pillars which line a colonnade at the front. The roof has terracotta shingles with copper-domed cupolas. The southern end is dominated by the 121-feet clock tower. The booking hall features a mosaic floor of almost 750,000 Minton tiles. Royal Doulton porcelain runs around the balcony. The floor's design features a locomotive and other related symbols. This station is a real "dessert" for the eyes. I took a nice video here of a train departing for sharing with our grandson in Virginia. This station was opened in 1906.

Here is just one of many unique and special views of the countrysides as we traveled from Queenstown to Dunedin to rejoin with the Solstice.:

QueentownExcurA13_zps9a389a7b.jpg

Here are some of the highlights in Dunedin with their rail station and its many special design touches. As our guide, John, explained, Dunedin was very rich at the time from its gold and other resources. Why did they make it so fancy? Because they could!! You can see some of the fancy tile work, a stained-glass window, etc., in these pictures. They do not build things like this these days. In the final picture, you can see John with some of the folks from our Central Ohio travel group in front of this landmark building. :

QueentownExcurA5_zpsd170426b.jpg

QueentownExcurA6_zps69b21fae.jpg

QueentownExcurA4_zps5e1ccf8c.jpg

QueentownExcurA7_zps1cc651ca.jpg

QueentownExcurA3_zpsd99d641b.jpg

Terry, I felt like I was on this trip with you. It is mind boggling the work you put in to set up this trip including the research and excursions. The pictures have all been fantastic. Places I will probably not make it to in my lifetime.

I want to thank you from the bottom of my heart for this wonderful adventure.

Do you have a link to all your photos, not just the ones posted here?

Norma

Dunedin is the second-largest city of NZ's South Island. It is still considered to be one of the four main cities of the country for historic, cultural and geographic reasons. Dunedin was the largest city in New Zealand by population until about 1900. The 2013 city population is a little over 120,000. The harbor and hills around Dunedin are the remnants of an extinct volcano. Nearby is the Otago Peninsula, rated by TripAdvisor as one of the area;s best activity points with its wildlife, sights and nature options. Another top-rated option is its Taieri Gorge Railway.

The city's largest industry is higher education, being home to the University of Otago, New Zealand's first university, started in 1869. Next to our ship's docking point were a huge loading area full of logs ready to be shipped out. Busy port!

Here is one of the distinctive, historic building in Dunedin. It is the First Church. Located in the heart of the city just south of the city center, it is the city's main Presbyterian church. Regarded as one of the most impressive of New Zealand's nineteenth-century churches, its multi-pinnacled tower/spire rises to 185 feet tall. It was completed in 1873.:

QueentownExcurA11_zps15ae55b3.jpg

As the Solstice sailed away from Port Chalmers, the port nearby to Dunedin, here were a few of the special views we enjoyed with the perfect weather as the sail-away was completed. We were on the top deck of the Solstice. Great vantage point. Recognize some of the birds perched on these rocks as we depart the area. The black birds look to be Cormorants. Right? Are some of these Emperor penguins? Finally is a view of the lighthouse and steep cliffs we saw as the Solstice entered the Pacific Ocean.:

QueentownExcurA2_zpsc348692d.jpg

QueentownExcurA_zps920bd2b6.jpg

QueentownExcurA1_zps04653248.jpg

Terry, I felt like I was on this trip with you. It is mind boggling the work you put in to set up this trip including the research and excursions. The pictures have all been fantastic. Places I will probably not make it to in my lifetime. I want to thank you from the bottom of my heart for this wonderful adventure. Do you have a link to all your photos, not just the ones posted here? Norma

sla1zckt3i6 : ムール貝小太りスマトラ沖地震なじむ議定

Appreciate so much Norma from California having such kind comments on these postings. Glad to know you're a smart and savvy person with great' date=' wise judgement and classy taste. Not sure for what the posting by sla1zckt3i6 is all about.

Am getting in the [b']"home stretch" for catching up[/b] with reviewing pictures from this trip/adventure. The three remaining items/areas for attention are those for the second day on Kangaroo Island, Solstice/ship pictures and comments/summary and finally from Hawaii's Big Island. It's been fun to review through these various visuals, picking the "best of the best" and reliving the great memories. Don't be shy in sharing any added information, comments, questions, etc.

Did a June 7-19, 2011, Celebrity Solstice cruise from Barcelona that had stops in Villefranche, ports near Pisa and Rome, Naples, Kotor, Venice and Dubrovnik. Enjoyed great weather and a wonderful trip. Dozens of nice visuals with key highlights, tips, comments, etc., on these postings. We are now at 162,289 views for this live/blog re-cap on our first sailing with Celebrity and much on wonderful Barcelona. Check these postings and added info at:

http://www.boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1426474

Terry, there is only one word for the scope and quality of this blog.....

ASTOUNDING!

Frommer's should employ you immediately!

Staying tuned for the more ship oriented commentary...will be cruising Reflection in the fall. Interested in the other specialty restaurants you visited.

Thank you most obligingly for this wonderful review!

Thanks Terry for your astounding travel blog! :cool:

Your pre-cruise stops in Hawaii and around Cairns have refreshed our memory about the great trips we had in those areas. While your cruise and shore tour descriptions/photos are getting us excited about our own cruise on the Solstice at the end of this year.

For anyone who is traveling into Queenstown independently and is wanting to ride on the TSS Earnslaw to the Walter Peak Sheep Station the company who does the bookings is Real Journeys: http://www.realjourneys.co.nz

Real Journeys also has the tours for Te Anau, Fjordland National Park, and to the Glowworm Cave.

Thanks again, wonderful, wonderful photos, Terry. You took us right back to our own trip down to Queenstown, our trip across Lake Wakatipu on the Earnslaw to Walter Peak and the areas surrounding Queenstown, just magic!

CruiseTherapy: Terry' date=' there is only one word for the scope and quality of this blog..... ASTOUNDING! Frommer's should employ you immediately! Staying tuned for the more ship oriented commentary...will be cruising Reflection in the fall. Interested in the other specialty restaurants you visited. Thank you most obligingly for this wonderful review! [/quote']

14ersco: Thanks Terry for your astounding travel blog! Your pre-cruise stops in Hawaii and around Cairns have refreshed our memory about the great trips we had in those areas. While your cruise and shore tour descriptions/photos are getting us excited about our own cruise on the Solstice at the end of this year. For anyone who is traveling into Queenstown independently and is wanting to ride on the TSS Earnslaw to the Walter Peak Sheep Station the company who does the bookings is Real Journeys: http://www.realjourneys.co.nz Real Journeys also has the tours for Te Anau' date=' Fjordland National Park, and to the Glowworm Cave. [/quote']

Glad to bring back great memories from past travels in these wonderful areas. Appreciate the very nice and kind comments. I'll be looking forward to that call from Frommers or another publisher to get their credit cards to travel at their expense and do writing/pictures for their works. That would be fun, but I won't hold my breath waiting for that call. This live/blog is now at over 33,400 views.

Have been busy on some work projects the past few days. That has delayed me in getting added picture reviews and posts done, but I hope to get back on track this weekend. Keep up the good sharing as done by 14ersco on sites for added info/options.

For details and visuals, etc., from our July 1-16, 2010, Norway Coast/Fjords/Arctic Circle cruise experience from Copenhagen on the Silver Cloud, check out this posting. This posting is now over 134,205 views.

Terry

You are bringing back many good memories. After spending 20 months on our Roll Call with you, exchanging great information and kidding around about those Buckeye's & Hurricanes, here I sit shaking my head wondering where did time go.

Your photography is outstanding and lugging that camera equipment around for 25+ days (I've witnessed it first hand many times) has must have it's own personal satisfaction/rewards. Great blog!

Mike

Edited by 2morecruises

This blog's exceptional work doesn't surprise me ..... Terry. You are bringing back many good memories. After spending 20 months on our Roll Call with you, exchanging great information and kidding around about those Buckeye's & Hurricanes, here I sit shaking my head wondering where did time go. Your photography is outstanding and lugging that camera equipment around for 25+ days (I've witnessed it first hand many times) has must have it's own personal satisfaction/rewards. Great blog! Mike

Appreciate Mike's super kind comments on this posting and our trip as this live/blog approaches 34,000 views. Mike did an incredibly great job for our very active roll call that had nearly 4,000 posts and over 68,000 views.

Mike made mention of my camera equipment. It actually was not that heavy or challenging to carry around those items. Today's camera technology and construction has gotten much better and lighter. Yes, it has been very rewarding to have all of these thousands of pictures to review and check. Even my wife enjoys seeing some of those visuals. They do keep the memories alive and fresh.

Am finalizing right now the review of over a thousand pictures from just our two days on Kangaroo Island. Lots of great visuals from there. Earlier, I had posted just six visuals from our first day there. More really good ones to come. Hopefully, I will get those posted on Sunday. Kangaroo Island is a must see for Australia!!! Really loved that experience. My added pictures will hopefully prove it.

Did a June 7-19, 2011, Celebrity Solstice cruise from Barcelona that had stops in Villefranche, ports near Pisa and Rome, Naples, Kotor, Venice and Dubrovnik. Enjoyed great weather and a wonderful trip. Dozens of nice visuals with key highlights, tips, comments, etc., on these postings. We are now at 162,427 views for this live/blog re-cap on our first sailing with Celebrity and much on wonderful Barcelona. Check these postings and added info at:

http://www.boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1426474

As I earlier had promised (or threatened), more would be coming from Kangaroo Island in Australia. On the Jan. 18, post #16 from this live/blog's page one, I did an initial, quick sampling or our first day on Kangaroo Island before our Solstice cruise started.

There's lots and lots to share about this unique slice Aussie charm, wildlife, fun, adventure, etc. It was not a direct part of our 14-day Solstice cruise, BUT, your "strategies" for what you do pre and post on any cruise in these areas is a vital part of your considerations and choices to be made in advance. Don't go there just for the cruise!! That can be great, but the before and after is like the "frosting" on the cake that can make such a huge difference.

It takes some effort and cost in dollars and time to do Kangaroo Island. Was it worth that "investment" for us? The answer is and was a loud and resounding . . . YES!! One of the top, super favorites from our trip!! Why? Part of this excitement and mass of wonderful memories was the setting, nature and wildlife experienced. The other valuable part were the wonderful people we encountered, both living there and visit/exploring with us as we were doing this adventure.

Kangaroo Island is 70 miles south of Adelaide in South Australia. We had two full days on this very "natural" island. It is not a small area. At its longest point, it is 93 miles long. Its widest point is 34 miles across. This makes it as large in area as Puerto Rico or NY's Long Island. But lots less in population. Only about 4,400 people live here. Lots more sheep and wild animals are here. Can you see this area in a day? Not really. It takes longer to get a better "feel" for this island and its many wonders. We are glad we had the two days and being overnight there.

K.I., as locals call it, is Australia's third-largest island, after Tasmania and Melville Island. Its closest point to the mainland is a distance of 8.4 miles. Its total area is 1,700 square miles. Once occupied by Australian Aborigines, the native population disappeared after the land became an island following rising sea levels several thousand years ago. It was resettled in the early 19th century, first by whalers and those capturing seals. The island's economy has been mainly focused on agricultural and more recently with tourism growing in importance. About a quarter of the island has been protected as nature reserves or parks to preserved its natural vegetation and native animals. The largest and best-known is Flinders Chase National Park at the western end that we visited on our first day there. Nearly half of the island has never been cleared of vegetation. This visit really gave us a better awareness of the vast "natural" regions of Australia, away from the urban growth and not being as developed.

Traditionally, sheep-grazing has been the key focus for agriculture on the Island, but recently, more diverse crops, such as potatoes, grapes/wine and canola have been introduced. Cattle farming has grown. Kangaroo Island is noted for its honey, made by Ligurian honey bees. The island has averaged over 150,000 visitors annually. Kangaroo Island has South Australia's only eucalyptus oil distillery. Because of its isolation from mainland Australia, foxes and rabbits are absent from and prohibited from entering the island. The Kangaroo Island Kangaroo, Rosenberg's Sand Goanna, Southern Brown Bandicoot, Tammar Wallaby, Common Brushtail Possum, Short-beaked Echidna and New Zealand Fur Seal are native to the island. The introduced Koalas have grown on the island, but their preferred food source, the Manna Gum, is at risk from use by these cute animals. Lightning strikes in December 2007 caused several fires on the Island, burning about 20% of the island, mostly within national park and conservation reserves. Flinders Chase National Park had a large part of its lands burnt.

First, below are some more views and amazing sights from in and around Flinders Chase National Park. It is a sanctuary for endangered species and home to several geological phenomena. It is at the western end of Kangaroo Island. It includes coastal landscapes, Cape du Couedic, Rocky River in the southwest and Cape Borda lighthouse. The park is located 66 miles west of Kingscote, the island's largest town.

If Venice is one of your future desires or past favorites, you might look at this earlier posting that I did on the Italy board that shows many options and visual potentials for this city that is so great for "walking around", personally sampling the great history and architecture. This posting has now had 34,299 views and I appreciate those who have dropped by and tuned in.

Venice: Loving It & Why??!!

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1278226

At Flinders Chase National Park, first is a longer view as we approached the Remarkable Rocks that dramatically overlook this coast region of Kangaroo Island. These are naturally-sculptured formations sit atop a base of granite. This rock formation appears like sculptures of the UK's Henry Moore. Second is a closer look at some of these formations, including this couple in our tour group from the London area capturing a picture under this dramatic rock overhang. Third is a view from these formations over to nearby beach/coastal area.:

KangIslandOneA15_zps7f57e126.jpg

KangIslandOneA16_zps9ed13ee3.jpg

KangIslandOneA17_zps8c6d5580.jpg

Traveling with us to Kangaroo Island were Amy and Milt from Central Ohio. Here, they and my wife, are checking out more of this national park's coastal and beach scenic areas.:

KangIslandOneA11_zpsfb9c8048.jpg

At the location of the famed Admiral's Arch is this view of its coastal areas, native plants, natural growths, etc. Second is one of the many seals here enjoying the sun and waterside views.:

KangIslandOneA13_zps2f3380b1.jpg

KangIslandOneA12_zpsac5d5f1c.jpg

On Kangaroo Island, one of the top joys was staying at Stranraer Homestead. This is a 3200-acre working property, producing prime lamb, wool and grain. Their main house has four large bedrooms in a wonderful B&B arrangement that added to this sampling for life in Australia. Their address is 22 Lades Road, MacGillivray, just east of White Lagoon. Their e-mail: Stranraer@kin.net.au Phone: 61 (0)8 855 38235. Their names/contacts: Graham & Lyn Wheaton. She came to the island as the home economics teacher, met Graham, married, raised their family, etc. We learned so much from them about the business of raising sheep, the history of his grandfather who first homesteaded on this primitive island, etc.

Stranraer offered a country experience with peace and tranquillity. The property has two large, bird-filled lagoons surrounded by trees, scenery and wildlife. We later saw Graham at the airport as we were departing and he was awaiting nine people arriving to be staying with them that evening. No rest for our busy hosts!!

Super loved Dubrovnik!!! See more details and lots of great visual samples/examples at this link. Have had over 20,557 views on this posting and appreciate those who have tuned-in and dropped by.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1439227

Shown outside where we stayed on Kangaroo Island, here are Amy and Milt with host/superchef Lyn. Notice the native stone for this home built in 1920. Second shows dinner being prepared. An interesting couple from Boston/San Francisco joined us for a spectacular, gourmet dinner this evening. What did we have? Here are the shrimp cooking and then a plate enjoyed as a part of the multi-course delight. Great to spend time in the kitchen with a real gourmet chef who treats her guests like family.:

KangIslandOneA8_zpsed880d61.jpg

KangIslandOneA9_zps0007dfe4.jpg

KangIslandOneA4_zpsc80345c2.jpg

KangIslandOneA5_zpsbbb1c656.jpg

After a great night's rest and enjoying the wonderful charm and decorating of their home, it was time for breakfast in the morning. After sampling a wide range of wonderful items on the large table, Lyn asked if we wanted some Eggs Florentine. Yes, we said and it was wonderful, also!! After breakfast, it was time to say our good-byes. The other couple were doing different tours than ours and were also staying longer at this location before doing other travel in Australia.:

KangIslandOneA6_zps12470f5f.jpg

KangIslandOneA7_zpsaff1d11c.jpg

Kangaroo Island is not the type of place to just rent a car and drive around. You could do that, but it would waste lots of time and you would not really experience, nor understand, what makes this area so super special.

Through our skilled travel agent (that I cannot name here due to the Cruise Critic rules), we were in the great hands of Craig Wickham and Exceptional Kangaroo Island. Check out this super great YouTube video with Craig as it shows some on this place where we are staying on K.I. Really excellent video to prepare and learn more for visiting this amazing part of Australia. It is called: Kangaroo Island - South Australia's Galapagos.

Craig's website is:

http://exceptionalkangarooisland.com

Much more to come for what ALL we saw and did on Kangaroo Island. If this info and pictures do not capture your interest, then I will double your money back what you are paying me.

For details and visuals, etc., from our July 1-16, 2010, Norway Coast/Fjords/Arctic Circle cruise experience from Copenhagen on the Silver Cloud, check out this posting. This posting is now over 134,382 views.

Just one more visual from staying at Stranraer Homestead. Here is one of the nice floral plantings at their home. Overall, this was a delightful stop and experience that made Kangaroo Island so special and memorable.:

KangIslandOneA10_zps565fa63d.jpg

This was one of the many visuals that I captured featuring the birds and animals on Kangaroo Island. As I understand, this a Crimson Rosella. For the bird experts, is this correct? Not easy catching these colorful and unique birds in the wild.:

KangIslandOneA14_zpsb7865541.jpg

This is Craig Wickham, the operator of Exceptional Kangaroo Island, who picked us up on our second day and took us on a "hunt", successfully, to find more Koalas out in the wild. Then, here are a a couple more of my Koala pictures that we enjoyed so much. Aren't they cute? So lovable?:

KangIslandOneA3_zpsd3aa84b1.jpg

KangIslandOneA1_zpsc37fce84.jpg

KangIslandOneA2_zpse4144184.jpg

And from our first day on Kangaroo Island, here was the lighthouse at Flinders Chase National Park.:

KangIslandOneA18_zpse29e9c5e.jpg

Ready for more from Kangaroo Island? Is it clear why we loved this great location for sampling of unique nature, wildlife, beauty, etc.? Plus, having nice weather clearly helped us add to the excitement, right?

As we walked/explored a nature preserve area, our guide for two days, Jamie, was explaining how some of the natural items produced by trees would have been used used by natives in this region. Jamie had retired a couple years back as a farmer on this island. His family grew up here and his insights, sharing added so much to the experience on K.I. Later you will see his cooking skills, too! Second is one of the members of our second-day tour group. He and his wife live in one of the larger boroughs of London where is on the town council for their local government. He had his binoculars out to be looking for native birds, wildlife, etc. Did we have success? See more below!!:

KangIslandTwoA14_zps21098498.jpg

KangIslandOneA_zpsa38c0b38.jpg

Here is a wallaby that we saw out in the wild of Kangaroo Island. They blend in their natural backgrounds and are very shy. Had to be very quiet and patience to capture these sights. Second is lizard we saw near a beach area on K.I.:

KangIslandTwoA13_zpsa9b26389.jpg

KangIslandTwoA15_zpsf3776ffd.jpg

Here is what appears to be a Galah. Second are a pair of Australian Ibis. Right>:

KangIslandTwoA21_zps5d6c2f57.jpg

KangIslandTwoA18_zps536ddccd.jpg

Eating? Yes, we had two wonderful lunches while on Kangaroo Island! More details? See below. The tour company has an in-house chef who prepared and organizes this meals (including a "tea" that is served at a later point in the day). Nice touches adding to the fun and enjoyment.

Our Kangaroo Island guide, Jamie, prepared two great lunches in natural, nature-focused areas. Below are some visuals from our second day there when he cooked a mild, white fish out on a grill in a wildlife area. First, our two guides are preparing the fish and other items. Notice the various, unique plants in the background. Second is the completed meal with salad, fresh roll, etc. Third are a couple of the beverage options, including a red wine and local, different drinks such lemon-lime/bitters. Another local favorite was Bundaberg Ginger Beer. Finally, in the fourth picture, Amy and Milt are smiling and providing that we loved this setting, the food, the company, etc.:

KangIslandTwoA7_zps1f2834cc.jpg

KangIslandTwoA8_zps382d17aa.jpg

KangIslandTwoA6_zps753cd9ed.jpg

KangIslandTwoA11_zps5697672f.jpg

Cricket is big in Australia. The game is complicated and takes a long time to play. Here were locals on Kangaroo Island playing. Our guides shared how it's almost impossible to explain the details, rules for this game.:

KangIslandTwoA9_zps9b6ba8bb.jpg

Another bird? It's an Australian Magpie, a medium-sized black and white bird native to this country. Described as one of Australia's most accomplished songbirds, there's an old TV series related to these birds. It was Heckle and Jeckle, a couple of animated cartoon characters! Remember? Lots of these birds were seen around in Australia.:

KangIslandTwoA19_zps2129ed46.jpg

At Kangaroo Island's Seal Bay Conservation Park, we had a chance in our small group of eight to see, with our two guides, up close and personal, the endangered Australian Sea Lions in their natural environment of coastal vegetation, dunes and beach. Below the limestone cliffs and dunes, we walked the beaches to observe the sea-lions surfing the waves, sunning themselves, sleeping on the beach and playing. We super enjoyed the stunning coastal scenery, plus seeing the play and activities involving these seals.

K.I. is home to the third largest Australian Sea Lion colony in Australia. Seal Bay is one of the most popular tourist destinations and it was a great way for us to wrap up our visit to this unique island treasure.

They are one of the rarest species. An estimated of 14,700 exist in the world with 85% living in South Australia. Seal Bay has a population of around 1,000 of these sea lions. The Australian Sea Lion was nearly hunted to extinction in the 19th century. They have a life span of between 17 and 25 years. Male Australian Sea Lions are dark brown with a light yellow mane around their heads. The females are silver in color and do not have the mane. The males are very large (about 550-600 pounds), up to three times bigger than the females (135-220 pounds).

Here is a sampling from my many pictures of these interesting and playful Australian Sea Lions at Kangaroo Island's Seal Bay. Fun!!:

KangIslandTwoA5_zpsed1b4cd4.jpg

KangIslandTwoA_zpse8ca57a4.jpg

KangIslandTwoA2_zpsb9c66257.jpg

KangIslandTwoA4_zps72c4bc74.jpg

KangIslandTwoA3_zps871fcdb5.jpg

KangIslandTwoA1_zpse38bae7f.jpg