Solstice Live: Australia/NZ/Hawaii, Many Pix’s, Jan. 20-Feb. 3

TLCOhio

Terry: We are taking the Solstice in Jan/15, and I have some questions for you.

A Tranz Alpine Jetboat tour (KQ12)---Your review was great, along with the pictures. I have a couple more questions. How long was the actual train ride? How long was the bus ride? Which way did you do them? I read they do 1/2 the people tranz out, and bus back, OR bus out, and tranz back. Also, how far away is the Jetboat ride, and it is about 25 minutes in the boat on the water, is that right?

We are thinking also of doing the Queensland overnight. Did you feel you missed anything on the ship, or in Dunedin? I had wanted to do the Taieri Gorge train ride there, but would not be able to if we do the overnight. I know you said the Queensland was well worth the money.

I am sure we will be having more questions as we plan out our "Down Under" adventure!

Terry: We are taking the Solstice in Jan/15, and I have some questions for you. A Tranz Alpine Jetboat tour (KQ12)---Your review was great, along with the pictures. I have a couple more questions. How long was the actual train ride? How long was the bus ride? Which way did you do them? I read they do 1/2 the people tranz out, and bus back, OR bus out, and tranz back. Also, how far away is the Jetboat ride, and it is about 25 minutes in the boat on the water, is that right? We are thinking also of doing the Queensland overnight. Did you feel you missed anything on the ship, or in Dunedin? I had wanted to do the Taieri Gorge train ride there, but would not be able to if we do the overnight. I know you said the Queensland was well worth the money. I am sure we will be having more questions as we plan out our "Down Under" adventure!

Appreciate the good follow-up questions from our NE Ohio neighbor. Glad you are booked for the Jan. 2015 sailing. You'll have a great time. Now to your specific questions.

1. That Tranz Alpine rail trip was about two hours. That was my rough memory/guess. BUT, I went back this morning to check the exact times when I took a video for our grandsons right before starting this trip and then doing pictures when we ended the rail trip. Yes, two hours was the timing. I spent about hour of that time period being in the open, front observation car that allowed lots of picture-taking of the mountain sections on both sides. That was fun for me. The others in our group enjoyed the relaxing time in the passenger car seating areas with large windows.

2. Most of the groups from our ship did the rail trip first (before either the sheep/farm or the JetBoat). But due to a logistics mix-up, one group did the sheep stop first and then was taken by bus to the end rail point to get on the train to do the ride back. After we did the Jet/Boat, it was a little under a two-hour trip back by bus/coach from there (near Springfield, NZ) after doing the river/boat adventure to where we took the tender boat back to the ship.

3. For time on the water/river for the JetBoat, that was about 45 minutes. Went back to check the detailed time data recorded on each of my digital pictures. Great way to check and confirm one's rough timing memory. From when we got off of the train to reaching the JetBoat location was about a 30-45 minutes bus ride. Not long. Plus, nice and scenic sights for when doing this drive.

4. By doing the Queenstown two-day, overnight excursion, did we miss anything? Yes, is the quick and honest answer. We would have like to have seen more of the other two sounds or fjords that those who stayed on the ship did. The weather improved for those who stayed on the ship and what they got to see in these areas. There are things to do in and around Dunedin. Fortunately, we got see some of Dunedin, its downtown, key buildings and have a nice amount of time at its famed rail station, etc. Trade-offs??!! There are good options either way. BUT, weather can be iffy for sights in sailing these three sounds/fjords with their historic huge amounts of rain hitting these regions. A large bit of a gamble for how good the sights will be if you stay on the ship. We super loved the various, different options when experiencing the great interior of the South Island of NZ. Just from the first stop off of the ship at the rainforest was awesome. Then, with all of the other stops and options, it worked out super well for all of us doing this trip. It was not cheap, but those who did this excursion believed it to be very well worth it. It was a good choice and great fun.

If you do the Tranz Alpine rail trip, then missing the Taieri Gorge train ride out of Dunedin would not be as major of a "loss". Different rides and areas, but still somewhat similar in certain ways.

Is this helping? More info needs, interests?? Keep up the good questions.

Sorry I have been slow in responding this week. Had lots of work duties, meetings and travel, including being up in Deb's nearby territories of Cleveland and Akron yesterday. Now trying to catch up today and this weekend, plus getting our IRS tax filings completed. And enjoy the nice, sunny, 70's weather today in Central Ohio. More to come!!

THANKS! Enjoy! Terry in Ohio

For details and visuals, etc., from our July 1-16, 2010, Norway Coast/Fjords/Arctic Circle cruise experience from Copenhagen on the Silver Cloud, check out this posting. This live/blog is now at 140,050 views. Nice to be hitting this high of a level for viewership. Appreciate the interest!!

http://www.boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1227923

From the front page of the New York Times Sunday morning travel section, they will have this headline: "In Sydney, Lively Culture Amid Natural Beauty". Nice story with lots of pictures and details bringing back great, charming memories from being there in January.

Here are some of the highlights from this fun story: "The late, great Australian art critic Robert Hughes once complained that 'Crocodile Dundee' is still regarded by many Americans as a work of social realism. A rhetorical exaggeration, but he had a point. As an Australian living in New York, I’ve long been puzzled at the dominance of charming clichés about the country as a sun-dappled frontier. Advertising campaigns still promote the image, depicting beer-swilling, happy-go-lucky folk barbecuing steak at the beach. I protest to friends in vain that Australia has a lot more to offer than rampant hedonism and cuddly koalas. Its cities are wildly cosmopolitan. Its museums are packed, its cultural life raucous, and endless arts festivals clutter the social calendar. The gulf between image and reality is most extreme in Sydney, my hometown, which is renowned for its Rio-like natural beauty. It’s also known for the Sydney Opera House, an instantly recognizable piece of architecture — though few Americans seem to consider that opera is actually performed there."

Lots of interesting details, items in this long profile that focuses more on the arts and cultural treats in and around Sydney. Ready to go back!!

Full story at:

http://www.nytimes.com/2014/04/13/travel/in-sydney-lively-culture-amid-natural-beauty.html?hpw&rref=travel

Did a June 7-19, 2011, Celebrity Solstice cruise from Barcelona that had stops in Villefranche, ports near Pisa and Rome, Naples, Kotor, Venice and Dubrovnik. Enjoyed great weather and a wonderful trip. Dozens of nice visuals with key highlights, tips, comments, etc., on these postings. We are now at 167,221 views for this live/blog re-cap on our first sailing with Celebrity and much on wonderful Barcelona. Check these postings and added info at:

http://www.boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1426474

Terry: Thank you for all the information. Just what we were looking for. Now, another question. I think you had a private tour in Hobart, through a private tourguide. I was looking through this thread, and cannot find the name and contact of the private guide you used while in Hobart. There will be 4 adults. We would like to go to Bonorong Sanctuary, and not sure yet what other stops we would like to do. Could you give me the name and contact number of the tour guide. Thanks again soooo much!!

Terry: Thank you for all the information. Just what we were looking for. Now, another question. I think you had a private tour in Hobart, through a private tourguide. I was looking through this thread, and cannot find the name and contact of the private guide you used while in Hobart. There will be 4 adults. We would like to go to Bonorong Sanctuary, and not sure yet what other stops we would like to do. Could you give me the name and contact number of the tour guide. Thanks again soooo much!!

Appreciate the follow-up from our NE Ohio neighbor. Yes, I still need to do a full listing for all of the contacts and connections with what we did in each port, etc. For Hobart, we worked with the wonderful Judy Livingston of Eye See Personalised Tours. It was a long day, but doing BOTH the historic Port Arthur prison site with its scenic waterside location and Bonorong Sanctuary worked well for our group of 14. We also had several nice, added stops as I detailed earlier in my live/blog. Judy's e-mail is:

eyesee@netspace.net.au

Tell her that Terry from Ohio said "HI!"

Did you see the coverage today about what Prince William and Kate had for their activities in and around Queenstown? YES, their adventure included an exciting JetBoat ride. Their "adventure" was done at the Shotover River near Queenstown on the NZ South Island. Fun!! Below are some pictures from the UK Daily Mail on their activities. Plus below, is one of my pictures from near Queenstown of this river and added ones from our JetBoat excitement on the scenic river near Christchurch. The JetBoat trip was one of the super highlights during our trip. As Nike advertises . . . "Just Do It!".

From this below link to the Daily Mail, you can see many more pictures of Kate and William doing the JetBoat ride, visiting a nearby winery, etc. During our Queenstown overnight trip, we also visited a winery (not the same one done by the Royals). This great coverage and the pictures brings back nice New Zealand memories. See more at:

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2603524/Kate-crushes-pregnancy-rumours-rides-jet-boat-takes-wine-tasting.html

Keep the good questions rolling along. Happy to share more!

Super loved Dubrovnik!!! See more details and lots of great visual samples/examples at this link. Have had over 21,303 views on this posting and appreciate those who have tuned-in and dropped by.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1439227

From the Daily Mail in London, here are a couple of their pictures for the Duke and Duchess of Cambridge enjoying the JetBoat ride on the Shotover River near Queenstown.:

JetBoat4A1_zps522f01c6.jpg

JetBoat4A_zpsaa0802bd.jpg

While we were traveling from Arrowtown to Queenstown during our Celebrity Solstice two-day, overnight, we crossed the bridge shown above and looked down below to the same Shotover River that the future King and his wife traveled. You can see in my picture that the river was very high and at the right is one of their red JetBoats parked nearby. This day, the river was too full or high to do such JetBoat rides. Glad we got our JetBoat experience done after doing the Tranz Alpine rail trip to the famed mountains on the South Island.:

ShotoverRiverA_zps3fa98b01.jpg

Here are some added views from my pictures that I did not post earlier showing our fun and excitement when we did our Jet Boat ride nearby to Christchurch. Seem like great fun? It was!! Notice how close our boat was traveling nearby to the solid and strait-up stone walls/cliffs next to and overlooking this scenic river.:

JetBoat3A_zps81e5fcf6.jpg

JetBoat2A_zps1afd43ba.jpg

JetBoat2A1_zpsd9c2cef5.jpg

Edited by TLCOhio

Thank you again Terry! Appreciate it very much!!

Appreciate this nice feed-back from our "neighbor" in NE Ohio. Keep up the good advance planning, smart questions, etc. Always happy to share more with you and others.

Sorry for not being on the CC Boards much lately. Been busy finalizing taxes (IRS already cashed the check I sent in late Tuesday afternoon. That's fast!!). Plus, various work projects, etc. Looking more closely at some Spring 2015 options for Africa. Adventure??!! This would include Kenya safari time, a 13-day cruise from Mombasa/Kenya with stops in Zanzibar/Tanzania, Madagascar, three ports in South Africa and a finish in Cape Town. Then, some more safari excitement in and around South Africa and maybe Botswana. Not cheap and challenging. BUT, we need to get these "things" done while we are young, health and active in our mid 60's.

For Australia, the Wall Street Journal this week had a nice story on Tasmania. Not Tanzania, but the one down under. The headline was: "Tasmania, the Next Foodie Destination". The sub-head included: "Australian island produces flavorful fruits and heritage. And now it has chefs who make local ingredients shine".

Among the WSJ story highlights were: "Australia's only island state is often overlooked in favor of splashy sights like Sydney or the outback. Tasmania is countrified and slow-paced; accepted wisdom likens it to Britain in the 1950s. Certainly, it has a throwbackish charm, with low buildings and wide-open spaces. One facet of life here, though, is a distinct departure from ration-strapped postwar England: the food. Imagine slabs of perfectly marbled steak from traditional cattle breeds, stone fruits picked from local orchards, sweet wild scallops plucked out of clean, ice-cold waters. Tony Scherer, who raises heirloom vegetables in Tasmania, sees stronger parallels between the island today and California in the 1970s. The focus is generally on quality rather than quantity."

WINE?: "The island's 200 vineyards produced less than 1% of Australia's total wine output by volume in 2013; Tasmanian vintages, however, comprised at least a quarter of the country's 'A' grade wines. In the seafood industry adheres to the Japanese practice of ike jime. The point is to catch and kill fish as quickly and painlessly as possible, thereby preventing stress hormones from tainting the flesh. It was challenging to lure even the most die-hard foodies to this garden of eating. 'Tasmania was widely known for having the best produce in the nation, but the worst chefs,' explained local food writer Matthew Evans. That changed with the establishment of new farm-to-table restaurants and cooking schools around the state."

Our time during our cruise stop in Hobart was limited, but we got a small sample of food there. Very good. Need to go back. Not sure all can check this article as the Journal has a pay wall on some stories. I'm a regular subscriber. Let me know if you need more details on this story from the WSJ.

Full story at:

http://online.wsj.com/news/articles/SB10001424052702304441304579480040563522048?mg=reno64-wsj

Continue to enjoy the Duke and Duchess touring in Australia. Plus, the cute young prince. HAPPY EASTER!!

For details and visuals, etc., from our July 1-16, 2010, Norway Coast/Fjords/Arctic Circle cruise experience from Copenhagen on the Silver Cloud, check out this posting. This posting is now at 140,856 views. Nice to be hitting this high of a level for viewership. Appreciate the interest!!

• 2 weeks later...

From the Daily Mail in London on April 29, they have this headline: "Royal seal of approval: New Zealand voted dream destination if money was no object" with these highlights: "New Zealand has been voted Brits' number one dream holiday destination if money was no object. The top bucket list country was unveiled at part of a major survey – less than a week after the Duke and Duchess of Cambridge finished their royal tour Down Under. It was followed closely by Australia, named as the second most desirable location in the world, according to TripAdvisor."

The article also notes: "James Kay, TripAdvisor spokesman, said: 'If money was no object, it seems we Brits would like to travel as far afield as possible. 'Our most popular dream destination is New Zealand, but across the top ten the Far East and Americas are very popular too. 'The rest of the world have their eyes on a trip Down Under though, with Australia named the dream destination for travellers around the world.' The findings come just days after Kate and William finished their three-week tour in Australia and New Zealand with Prince George – which is expected to result in a huge tourism boost. Hotel search website Trivago has already reported a 70 per cent increase in searches for New Zealand – and 32 per cent for Australia."

We super enjoyed our visit down under earlier this year. Clearly we are not the only folks in the world with such interests and travel desires.

Full story at:

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/travel/article-2615950/Royal-seal-approval-New-Zealand-voted-dream-destination-money-no-object-TripAdvisor-survey.html

Did a June 7-19, 2011, Celebrity Solstice cruise from Barcelona that had stops in Villefranche, ports near Pisa and Rome, Naples, Kotor, Venice and Dubrovnik. Enjoyed great weather and a wonderful trip. Dozens of nice visuals with key highlights, tips, comments, etc., on these postings. We are now at nearly 170,000 views for this live/blog re-cap on our first sailing with Celebrity and much on wonderful Barcelona. Check these postings and added info at:

We enjoyed following the details and visuals from the visit by the Brit Royals to Australia and New Zealand. Here are three pictures from the Daily Mail showing that fun. This includes in Sydney with the famed bridge in the background. Second are the Prince and Princess with one of the super cute Aussie Koalas. Finally, the future King captures the love from all who see this charming baby.:

article-2608748-1D366F9200000578-452_964x651_zpsf38b5bd1.jpg

article-2608748-1D367F3300000578-560_964x933_zps1e27912d.jpg

article-2608748-1D367C2500000578-506_964x657_zps60a4e8a5.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Terry, We are taking this cruise in January. I was curious to know if this excursion can only be done through the Celebrity excursions. We usually plan private excursions, but it doesn't seem that this is possible for this overnight. What other suggestions would you make? What did you do in Hobart? We've been before and would not want to go to the wildlife sanctuary again.

Terry, We are taking this cruise in January. I was curious to know if this excursion can only be done through the Celebrity excursions. We usually plan private excursions, but it doesn't seem that this is possible for this overnight. What other suggestions would you make? What did you do in Hobart? We've been before and would not want to go to the wildlife sanctuary again.

Appreciate this follow-up from Sheila and Jeff! Sorry for my delay in responding. It's been very busy week with work, etc. Those work projects, however, help pull together the dollars/funding for our planned March-April 2015 Africa (Kenya-Zanzibar-Madagascar-South Africa-Boswana) adventure.

Assuming you are asking about the Queenstown overnight excursion. Right? Yes, as best as I can figure and understand that trip where you depart the ship in the middle of Milford Sound, can only be done through the ship. It's not like you are docked while in Milford Sound. For Hobart, we did Port Arthur, the old prison site along the water. That worked well for us. It is at some distance from Hobart, but there were interesting sites and sights to experience in traveling there, etc. I would contact Judy with the firm we used there, tell her of your personal interests, travel desires, etc. For around Hobart, doing nature/scenery and/or food/shopping options in this town seem among the top options there.

Keep the good questions rolling along. I'll try to be quick to respond in the future.

Did a June 7-19, 2011, Celebrity Solstice cruise from Barcelona that had stops in Villefranche, ports near Pisa and Rome, Naples, Kotor, Venice and Dubrovnik. Enjoyed great weather and a wonderful trip. Dozens of nice visuals with key highlights, tips, comments, etc., on these postings. We are now at 171,555 views for this live/blog re-cap on our first sailing with Celebrity and much on wonderful Barcelona. Check these postings and added info at:

Terry: On the Overnight Queenstown excursion through Celebrity, someone in our group is asking if the motorcoach buses used for transportation have a restroom on them? I would think they all do, but knew I could ask you about this!! Our cruise plans are coming together nicely. We are booked with Judy for her tour in Hobart, Tasmania. We are going to the waterfalls, Bonorang, and a stop at a winery. We are then doing the overnight in Queenstown, on your recommendation!! In Akaora, we plan to do the Tranz Alpine/Jet boat tour. This is what we have so far. Much more planning to do yet!! Thank you again for all your help and guidance. I am still referring back to your live blog from your trip on the Solstice!!

Here is the above question from Debbie that came up on our roll call. Thought I would share this info here.

On the bus option, to be honest, I don't remember exactly whether our specific bus on this trip had a restroom on board or not. BUT, here's the bigger factor!! This southern part of NZ is not big in population and has limits with its tourism infrastructure. Resources can be more narrow and/or might vary at the time for the available number and types of transportation equipment they might have. So whether our bus had a restroom on it or not, does not always guarantee what you might have.

Of the four buses for the roughly 180-190 people doing this overnight excisions, the quality and equipment were each a little different. Each bus was fine or OK, but some were newer, some a little older. There were frequent stops and nobody seemed to have problems getting their bathroom needs taken care of on this excursion. I would not worry on this aspect.

For details and visuals, etc., from our July 1-16, 2010, Norway Coast/Fjords/Arctic Circle cruise experience from Copenhagen on the Silver Cloud, check out this posting. This posting is now at 143,327 views. Nice to be hitting this high of a level for viewership. Appreciate the interest!!

Coming tomorrow from the New York Times in their Sunday Travel Section, they have this headline: "52 Places to Go in 2014" with Christchurch, New Zealand, listed as their number two, best to visit location.

Among the highlights was this heading: "The rebirth of a quake-ravaged city." Here are more highlights: "Three years after two large earthquakes devastated central Christchurch, the city is experiencing a rebirth with creativity and wit — thanks to the ingenuity of its hardy residents — and is welcoming tourists back again. Though much of the central city has yet to be rebuilt, entrepreneurs and volunteers are finding surprising ways to make temporary use of empty lots and bring life back to the downtown. The Gap Filler program, begun a couple of months after the first quake in September 2010 and expanded after a more destructive second quake in February 2011, has created an open-air performance space made of blue pallets, a dance floor with coin-operated music and lights, and even a nine-hole mini-golf course in vacant lots across the city. To replace the badly damaged 19th-century ChristChurch Cathedral, a magnificent transitional church by the Japanese architect Shigeru Ban opened in August with sturdy cardboard tubes for the roof. Businesses are also trickling back downtown." Earlier this year, we did not visit Christchurch, doing from that nearby port stop the great sights and fun with the Tranz Alpine rail and JetBoat options. Maybe, Christchurch can be a future stop for us after more re-building is done there.

This story also has details on their number 9 choice: Perth, Australia. Among the highlights: "For Australian panache, go west. Perth, the capital of western Australia, has long been feted for its beaches, laid-back vibe and Aboriginal heritage, but lately Australia’s fourth-largest city is exhibiting the signs of a trendy transformation. Regional wine lists? Check. Modish new restaurants in repurposed spaces like stables (the Stables Bar), cottages (the Old Crow) or a printing press building (the Print Hall)? Check. International celebrity chefs including Jamie Oliver, whose Italian spot Jamie’s Italian recently opened? Up-and-coming neighborhoods like Mount Lawley and Northbridge, chockablock with cafes and vintage shops? Check and check."

Lots of interesting highlights and options for many great locations all over the World!!

We are now working on pulling together the details for our planned late March-April 2015 Africa (Kenya-Zanzibar-Madagascar-South Africa-Botswana) adventure. That includes a 13-day Kenya to South Africa cruise, plus safari options before in Kenya and after in Botswana. Cape Town, South Africa, was listed as their number one, top location to visit for 2014.

Full story at:

http://www.nytimes.com/interactive/2014/01/10/travel/2014-places-to-go.html?ref=travel

If Venice is one of your future desires or past favorites, you might look at this earlier posting that I did on the Italy board that shows many options and visual potentials for this city that is so great for "walking around", personally sampling the great history and architecture. This posting is now at 37,334 views and I appreciate those who have dropped by and tuned in.

Venice: Loving It & Why??!!

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1278226

----Earlier this year, we did not visit Christchurch, doing from that nearby port stop the great sights and fun with the Tranz Alpine rail and JetBoat options. Maybe, Christchurch can be a future stop for us after more re-building is done there.

Most bus tours via Celebrity went from Littleton ( the industrial port of Christchurch) via the city to the Tranz Alpine Railway.

Most bus tours via Celebrity went from Littleton (the industrial port of Christchurch) via the city to the Tranz Alpine Railway.

Appreciate the above follow-up from Jackie & Adrian! In the nearly two years before our cruise down under, it appeared that most all of the cruises stopping near Christchurch were using Akaroa, New Zealand, as their planned location. Checking this morning on the Celebrity website for cruises scheduled ahead through as late as Feb. 2016, they all list Akaroa as the port where the Solstice will be tendering for the future.

Is Akaroa best or ideal? It is a super scenic location, but at some distances from Christchurch and other locations, such as what we did for the Tranz Alpine and JetBoat. Prior to the earthquake damage, the Christchurch suburb of Lyttelton was where cruise ships docked. As has been described on the BBC Web site, however, Lyttleton was "unlivable" following the earthquakes. Telecommunications, water supplies and power were heavily damaged. Others described Lyttelton harbor as being close to the epicenter and being badly damaged.

From the Fairfax newspaper in Wellington last summer, they had this headline: "Lyttelton impasse keeps cruise ships out" with these highlights: "Lyttelton may not welcome cruise ships again for several years with the potential loss of millions of dollars of tourist revenue. Cruise companies representatives and tourism operators told The Press they understood the port would not reopen to cruise ships before as late as 2017. The port lost the cruise ship business mainly to Akaroa harbour after the 2011 earthquakes. More than three years on, it is still at loggerheads with insurers. Managing director of Renaissance Tours Tony Petrie represents Royal Caribbean Cruiseline, the second-biggest cruise company in the world. One of their ships, Voyager of the Sea, cannot berth in Akaroa because it does not have small boats to carry their passengers to the shore. The ship would not need tenders to berth in Lyttelton Port, which had a wharf. To speed up Lyttelton repairs, cruise liners are willing to help the port via a 'recovery levy' their passengers would pay directly to the port when tourism operators collect them onshore. Insurance issues needed to be resolved before the port could commit to any date for the repairs to start. One official noted 'If you'd asked me a year ago when the repairs would start, I would have said this year but now I am not sure.' Given that about 500 port assets, including the head office building in Lyttelton, wharves and piles have been damaged, there is one rough estimate of a $500m damage total. High Country Explorer Tours director Rod Bennett leads a group of 38 unhappy tourism operators and activity providers who are calling Lyttelton to speed up repairs to welcome cruise ships again. He said several sources confirmed the port would not host cruise ships again before 2017. Until then, cruises would have to berth in Akaroa. Bennett said transport costs for tourism operators to pick up and drop off passengers from Akaroa had forced many smaller companies out of business. Fewer passengers were interested in booking an excursion that would require more than an hour travelling, he said."

Our stop in Akaroa worked super well, especially with what we did from this location. But, it is sad to learn more for how long it is taking to get things restored in both Christchurch and their nearby docking port of Lyttelton. Lots of hopes, but little for specifics and concrete time-tables, budgets and completion schedules.

Full story at:

http://www.stuff.co.nz/business/industries/9250502/Lyttelton-impasse-keeps-cruise-ships-out

Did a June 7-19, 2011, Celebrity Solstice cruise from Barcelona that had stops in Villefranche, ports near Pisa and Rome, Naples, Kotor, Venice and Dubrovnik. Enjoyed great weather and a wonderful trip. Dozens of nice visuals with key highlights, tips, comments, etc., on these postings. We are now at 172,223 views for this live/blog re-cap on our first sailing with Celebrity and much on wonderful Barcelona. Check these postings and added info at:

Appreciate the above follow-up from Jackie & Adrian! In the nearly two years before our cruise down under, it appeared that most all of the cruises stopping near Christchurch were using Akaroa, New Zealand, as their planned location. Checking this morning on the Celebrity website for cruises scheduled ahead through as late as Feb. 2016, they all list Akaroa as the port where the Solstice will be tendering for the future.

Is Akaroa best or ideal? It is a super scenic location, but at some distances from Christchurch and other locations, such as what we did for the Tranz Alpine and JetBoat. Prior to the earthquake damage, the Christchurch suburb of Lyttelton was where cruise ships docked. As has been described on the BBC Web site, however, Lyttleton was "unlivable" following the earthquakes. Telecommunications, water supplies and power were heavily damaged. Others described Lyttelton harbor as being close to the epicenter and being badly damaged.

From the Fairfax newspaper in Wellington last summer, they had this headline: "Lyttelton impasse keeps cruise ships out" with these highlights: "Lyttelton may not welcome cruise ships again for several years with the potential loss of millions of dollars of tourist revenue. Cruise companies representatives and tourism operators told The Press they understood the port would not reopen to cruise ships before as late as 2017. The port lost the cruise ship business mainly to Akaroa harbour after the 2011 earthquakes. More than three years on, it is still at loggerheads with insurers. Managing director of Renaissance Tours Tony Petrie represents Royal Caribbean Cruiseline, the second-biggest cruise company in the world. One of their ships, Voyager of the Sea, cannot berth in Akaroa because it does not have small boats to carry their passengers to the shore. The ship would not need tenders to berth in Lyttelton Port, which had a wharf. To speed up Lyttelton repairs, cruise liners are willing to help the port via a 'recovery levy' their passengers would pay directly to the port when tourism operators collect them onshore. Insurance issues needed to be resolved before the port could commit to any date for the repairs to start. One official noted 'If you'd asked me a year ago when the repairs would start, I would have said this year but now I am not sure.' Given that about 500 port assets, including the head office building in Lyttelton, wharves and piles have been damaged, there is one rough estimate of a $500m damage total. High Country Explorer Tours director Rod Bennett leads a group of 38 unhappy tourism operators and activity providers who are calling Lyttelton to speed up repairs to welcome cruise ships again. He said several sources confirmed the port would not host cruise ships again before 2017. Until then, cruises would have to berth in Akaroa. Bennett said transport costs for tourism operators to pick up and drop off passengers from Akaroa had forced many smaller companies out of business. Fewer passengers were interested in booking an excursion that would require more than an hour travelling, he said."

Our stop in Akaroa worked super well, especially with what we did from this location. But, it is sad to learn more for how long it is taking to get things restored in both Christchurch and their nearby docking port of Lyttelton. Lots of hopes, but little for specifics and concrete time-tables, budgets and completion schedules.

Full story at:

http://www.stuff.co.nz/business/industries/9250502/Lyttelton-impasse-keeps-cruise-ships-out

Did a June 7-19, 2011, Celebrity Solstice cruise from Barcelona that had stops in Villefranche, ports near Pisa and Rome, Naples, Kotor, Venice and Dubrovnik. Enjoyed great weather and a wonderful trip. Dozens of nice visuals with key highlights, tips, comments, etc., on these postings. We are now at 172,223 views for this live/blog re-cap on our first sailing with Celebrity and much on wonderful Barcelona. Check these postings and added info at:

I think one must look at priorities when looking at a cruise port in Christchurch. Families are still waiting for their homes to be repaired some three years after the earthquakes and city infrastructure is in some parts of the city in chaos. One part of the city has had land drop in some place over half a metre in height from pre earthquake times. This means that the 1 in 100 year flood occurs every three weeks when it rains and houses are flooded out out. It is estimated that it could be up to two years before this issue alone is resolved. Finding a cruise port that makes life easier for cruisers is definitely not on the priority list for the city fathers, nor should it be. I think it is going to be a long time post 2017 before we see cruise ships tied up alongside in Lytlleton. Sure Akaroa may created some issues for cruise lines but I have yet to hear of any significant complaints about it as a cruise port. If going to Akaroa instead of Lytlleton is the only issue on a cruise then things aint too bad

I think one must look at priorities when looking at a cruise port in Christchurch. Families are still waiting for their homes to be repaired some three years after the earthquakes and city infrastructure is in some parts of the city in chaos. One part of the city has had land drop in some place over half a metre in height from pre earthquake times. This means that the 1 in 100 year flood occurs every three weeks when it rains and houses are flooded out out. It is estimated that it could be up to two years before this issue alone is resolved. Finding a cruise port that makes life easier for cruisers is definitely not on the priority list for the city fathers, nor should it be. I think it is going to be a long time post 2017 before we see cruise ships tied up alongside in Lytlleton. Sure Akaroa may created some issues for cruise lines but I have yet to hear of any significant complaints about it as a cruise port. If going to Akaroa instead of Lytlleton is the only issue on a cruise then things aint too bad

Appreciate these added insights and background for our Wellington friend. YES!! Agree that things, from what I have read, have been very challenging for those living and working Christchurch. Your comments and details give added perspective and background.

Below is an article that I just pulled up from the Dominion Post in Wellington. In this editorial in tomorrow's newspaper, they have this heading: "Have insurers blown their cover?". Here are some of the details from this opinion piece: "Home insurance used to mean 'total replacement'. If your house got blown over, you'd get a new one, as close as possible to the original, no matter the cost. In the wake of the Christchurch earthquakes, with their mammoth reconstruction bill, insurers have moved to put a cap on how much they will pay out homeowners. That's defensible - they, and their international reinsurers, have been badly burned by the quakes, and they need a better idea of their liabilities. The onus has fallen on homeowners to determine exactly how much cover they need. If they get it wrong, they could be in real trouble, caught hundreds of thousands of dollars short of rebuilding the house they once owned. To be fair, insurance companies do send out a rough suggestion for a figure. But what's most alarming is that these 'default sums' are consistently too low. One surveyor says the suggested sums will leave many people with a 'garden shed' instead of their house if an earthquake hits. Costs such as demolition, retaining walls, driveways and patios, GST and inflation will apparently eat up much of the cover. It's hard to argue with a company that's looked at 30,000 houses and found they're typically 25 to 50 per cent under-insured. Some industry figures suggest that people, especially older people in large houses, might deliberately under-insure themselves, and accept a smaller house if disaster strikes."

We did not complain about Akaroa. Loved this location and what we did here. BUT, I know that this location change and distance away has hurt many service/tour providers for this part of NZ. Their revenues, staffing and economics are down in a major way, adding to the negative economic impact. Clearly, it's a sad situation. From everything we had heard, the pre-quake Christchurch was very beautiful, inspiring and architecturally loved. Tough situation all around.

Full story at:

http://www.stuff.co.nz/dominion-post/comment/editorials/10082645/Editorial-Have-insurers-blown-their-cover

THANKS for the added information! Terry in Ohio

For details and visuals, etc., from our July 1-16, 2010, Norway Coast/Fjords/Arctic Circle cruise experience from Copenhagen on the Silver Cloud, check out this posting. This posting is now at 143,921 views. Nice to be hitting this high of a level for viewership. Appreciate the interest!!

Appreciate these added insights and background for our Wellington friend. YES!! Agree that things, from what I have read, have been very challenging for those living and working Christchurch. Your comments and details give added perspective and background.

Below is an article that I just pulled up from the Dominion Post in Wellington. In this editorial in tomorrow's newspaper, they have this heading: "Have insurers blown their cover?". Here are some of the details from this opinion piece: "Home insurance used to mean 'total replacement'. If your house got blown over, you'd get a new one, as close as possible to the original, no matter the cost. In the wake of the Christchurch earthquakes, with their mammoth reconstruction bill, insurers have moved to put a cap on how much they will pay out homeowners. That's defensible - they, and their international reinsurers, have been badly burned by the quakes, and they need a better idea of their liabilities. The onus has fallen on homeowners to determine exactly how much cover they need. If they get it wrong, they could be in real trouble, caught hundreds of thousands of dollars short of rebuilding the house they once owned. To be fair, insurance companies do send out a rough suggestion for a figure. But what's most alarming is that these 'default sums' are consistently too low. One surveyor says the suggested sums will leave many people with a 'garden shed' instead of their house if an earthquake hits. Costs such as demolition, retaining walls, driveways and patios, GST and inflation will apparently eat up much of the cover. It's hard to argue with a company that's looked at 30,000 houses and found they're typically 25 to 50 per cent under-insured. Some industry figures suggest that people, especially older people in large houses, might deliberately under-insure themselves, and accept a smaller house if disaster strikes."

We did not complain about Akaroa. Loved this location and what we did here. BUT, I know that this location change and distance away has hurt many service/tour providers for this part of NZ. Their revenues, staffing and economics are down in a major way, adding to the negative economic impact. Clearly, it's a sad situation. From everything we had heard, the pre-quake Christchurch was very beautiful, inspiring and architecturally loved. Tough situation all around.

Full story at:

http://www.stuff.co.nz/dominion-post/comment/editorials/10082645/Editorial-Have-insurers-blown-their-cover

THANKS for the added information! Terry in Ohio

For details and visuals, etc., from our July 1-16, 2010, Norway Coast/Fjords/Arctic Circle cruise experience from Copenhagen on the Silver Cloud, check out this posting. This posting is now at 143,921 views. Nice to be hitting this high of a level for viewership. Appreciate the interest!!

Terry what has been a loss for the Lyttleton operators has been a boon for the Akaroa operators. I guess one can call it a boom and bust situation. The Akaroa operators are realistic to acknowledge that one day the goose with the golden egg will disappear, that said cruise liners may still use Akaroa because of port charges or lack thereof. But that is for another day and discussion.

Regarding the insurance of properties - Residential NZ have lived in a somewhat insurance Utopia for years pre CHCH earthquakes. For a relative small price residential properties were insured for full replacement value irrespective of condition, types of terrain etc. It was an across the board balancing act. After the CHCH quakes insurance companies after years of significant profits over nearly 100 years took a big hit and some haven't survived being bailed out by the government. What has happened now is that residential property owners must now determine the value of insurance they want to pay for, but if they over insure the companies will only pay out up to the reinstatement costs and if they under insure and repairs are greater than sum assured they will only get a payout to the lower sum. The insurance companies provide an initial figure they believe the insurance value should be and it is up to the home owner to accept of increase / decrease the amount. All the insurance companies provide calculators on their respective websites to assist in making a calculation or one can get a Quantity surveyor in to provide an estimate. This will cost between $400 - $1000 depending upon the size and type of dwelling. This is the first renewal of policies under the new system and indications are that the insurance companies are around 100% light on their estimations. AS these revised policies are bedded in a truer realisation of insurance values will emerge. Commercial properties have always had a sum assured policy so it is not a new concept to NZ.

Hope that clarifies a few points.

Have really appreciated your reports on your trip around NZ. We are on the Solstice doing the AKL - Perth leg next year. Pinched a couple of your fabulous photos as well

Regards

Mike

• 2 weeks later...
Terry what has been a loss for the Lyttleton operators has been a boon for the Akaroa operators. I guess one can call it a boom and bust situation. The Akaroa operators are realistic to acknowledge that one day the goose with the golden egg will disappear, that said cruise liners may still use Akaroa because of port charges or lack thereof. But that is for another day and discussion. Regarding the insurance of properties - Residential NZ have lived in a somewhat insurance Utopia for years pre CHCH earthquakes. For a relative small price residential properties were insured for full replacement value irrespective of condition, types of terrain etc. It was an across the board balancing act. After the CHCH quakes insurance companies after years of significant profits over nearly 100 years took a big hit and some haven't survived being bailed out by the government. What has happened now is that residential property owners must now determine the value of insurance they want to pay for, but if they over insure the companies will only pay out up to the reinstatement costs and if they under insure and repairs are greater than sum assured they will only get a payout to the lower sum. The insurance companies provide an initial figure they believe the insurance value should be and it is up to the home owner to accept of increase / decrease the amount. All the insurance companies provide calculators on their respective websites to assist in making a calculation or one can get a Quantity surveyor in to provide an estimate. This will cost between $400 - $1000 depending upon the size and type of dwelling. This is the first renewal of policies under the new system and indications are that the insurance companies are around 100% light on their estimations. AS these revised policies are bedded in a truer realisation of insurance values will emerge. Commercial properties have always had a sum assured policy so it is not a new concept to NZ.

Hope that clarifies a few points. Have really appreciated your reports on your trip around NZ. We are on the Solstice doing the AKL - Perth leg next year. Pinched a couple of your fabulous photos as well. Regards Mike

Appreciate this added background/info from Bob. Very interesting!!! Glad that you were able to "pinch" a couple of my visuals. Good luck on your AKL-Perth adventure for next year. It's nice when you use terms like "fabulous photos". Shows you are "smart and savvy"!!

This live/blog is now over 60,000 views. Glad so many have "tuned in", made comments, asked questions, shared info. Keep it up. Happy to provide more, etc. Still have more details and an index to put together from my end.

Have been busy with lots of work, family and home projects, but the work efforts are helping pull together the dollars for our planned mid March-mid April 2015 Africa (Kenya-Zanzibar-Madagascar-South Africa-Botswana) combo trip with safaris and a 13-day cruise.

Did a June 7-19, 2011, Celebrity Solstice cruise from Barcelona that had stops in Villefranche, ports near Pisa and Rome, Naples, Kotor, Venice and Dubrovnik. Enjoyed great weather and a wonderful trip. Dozens of nice visuals with key highlights, tips, comments, etc., on these postings. We are now at 173,468 views for this live/blog re-cap on our first sailing with Celebrity and much on wonderful Barcelona. Check these postings and added info at:

From the New York Times Sunday travel section today, they have this headline: "36 Hours in Canberra, Australia" with these highlights: "To stand atop a Canberra hilltop is to contemplate the stark charm of the Australian bush: vast grassy fields, swaths of eucalyptus forest and Instagram-worthy sunsets. This outpost is Australia’s national capital — not, as is commonly thought, the glitzier city of Sydney, three hours’ drive north. In Canberra, there are no beaches or iconic opera houses, and European chic is best sought an hour’s flight away in Melbourne. But what the “bush capital” lacks in big-city tousle, it makes up for in big-sky beauty, breezy civic pride and a decidedly hipster underbelly. Set on an artificial lake and spread across a valley between mountain ranges, Canberra is the Brasilia of Australia, designed by the American architects Walter Burley Griffin and Marion Mahony Griffin, who won a competition in 1911 to create the country’s political heart because Sydney and Melbourne couldn’t stop bickering about their own fabulousness. A year after the city’s centennial celebrations and with a steady influx of artists and gastronomes, Canberra is best appreciated with deep intakes of mountain air and an ear tuned to the calls of sulphur-crested cockatoos and crimson rosellas."

Interesting article with many options and potentials to consider. We loved what we did in visiting our four different areas of that great country. BUT, maybe Canberra would be an option to consider for a follow-up visit.

Full story at:

http://www.nytimes.com/2014/06/08/travel/36-hours-in-canberra-australia.html?ref=travel&_r=0

For details and visuals, etc., from our July 1-16, 2010, Norway Coast/Fjords/Arctic Circle cruise experience from Copenhagen on the Silver Cloud, check out this posting. This posting is now at 145,058 views. Nice to be hitting this high of a level for viewership. Appreciate the interest!!

Thank you for this really great travel review and the many additional facts! You make me looking forward to my similar cruise in Jan 2015 even more.

Appreciate this nice follow-up from our friend in Germany. Glad that you are following in our footsteps for Jan. 2015, in going "down under". Don't be shy!! Let us know any added questions, info needs, etc.

Did a June 7-19, 2011, Celebrity Solstice cruise from Barcelona that had stops in Villefranche, ports near Pisa and Rome, Naples, Kotor, Venice and Dubrovnik. Enjoyed great weather and a wonderful trip. Dozens of nice visuals with key highlights, tips, comments, etc., on these postings. We are now at 174, 507 views for this live/blog re-cap on our first sailing with Celebrity and much on wonderful Barcelona. Check these postings and added info at:

From the CBS-TV Morning News Tuesday, they have this headline: "Sydney Harbor Bridge obsession paves way for tourism business" on a wonderfully-interesting news segment done by their reporter about how the BridgeClimb came together to be a great activity in this wonderful Aussie city.

The story highlights Paul Cave, including his extensive -- and expensive -- collection of 4,000 bridge-related memorabilia and his work to make it come together for the Sydney Harbor Bridge Climb. This is an attraction Lonely Planet called one of the world's biggest adrenaline rushes. YES, it's great, having done this "adventure" earlier this year right before commencing our Sydney to Auckland cruise. This tour took Paul Cave ten years to figure out the environmental, historical and safety issues for being able to do this Bridge Climb.

Among other story highlights "Harnesses were specifically designed for the bridge climb. Even the protective suit was specially made to blend in with the bridge, so as not to distract drivers as you climb through its iron underbelly. Paul essentially leases the bridge from the Australian government. In exchange, he promised to use the tourist dollars to help pay for its upkeep. He gets about 200,000 climbers a year for a trip to the top. You get there by climbing more than 1,400 steps and ladders -- the same ones used by bridge workers themselves. Surprisingly, it's not strenuous unless you're afraid of heights. As we climb about 40 stories above the water, we reach what everyone comes for, and we're told everyone says about the same thing: 'Wow.' The view is unsurpassed. Add in the wind and the sound of the cars far below, you've got the making of a memory."

Great story and background. Loved the video highlights that brought back alive this great experience for me personally. I rate this climb a can't miss experience!! So glad that I did it.

Full CBS-TV story and video at:

http://www.cbsnews.com/news/paul-caves-sydney-harbor-bridge-climb/

If Venice is one of your future desires or past favorites, you might look at this earlier posting that I did on the Italy board that shows many options and visual potentials for this city that is so great for "walking around", personally sampling the great history and architecture. This posting is now at 38,289 views and I appreciate those who have dropped by and tuned in.

• 3 weeks later...

This has been an amazing blog/journal. We are taking an 11 day cruise from Sydney to Auckland and all of your suggestions will be so helpful in planning our time. We will spending 6 additional days in the North Island area.Thank you so much for all the wonderful information and pictures.

Now at the Auckland airport awaiting our flight in about an hour to Brisbane. Three and a half hour flight. Two-hour lay-over there, then a nine-hour and 20-minute flight to Honolulu covering, 4690 miles. Finally, today, a 43-minute flight from Honolulu to Kona. Lots of flying today as we cross the International Dateline and gain a previously-lost day back.

Late morning to finish in Auckland, we did a visit to their Art Gallery with its excellent NZ collection and many interesting pieces featuring their native population. Much of that history featuring the Maori was not accurate, but looked good. The portraits done of historic Maori chiefs and leaders was super fascinating. This building had several contemporary pieces by NZ artists that we had seen outdoors yesterday at Connells Bay Sculpture Park. This gallery has had some very nice, new additions that are works of art in their own right. Good stop and sampling late this morning and early afternoon.

Glad to be so close to where Waihekean lives on your wonderful island.

Correction: It was Man O' War Winery, not Man of War. Their website is:

http://www.manowarvineyards.co.nz

If Venice is one of your future desires or past favorites, you might look at this earlier posting that I did on the Italy board that shows many options and visual potentials for this city that is so great for "walking around", personally sampling the great history and architecture. This posting has now had 33,177 views and I appreciate those who have dropped by and tuned in.

This has been an amazing blog/journal. We are taking an 11 day cruise from Sydney to Auckland and all of your suggestions will be so helpful in planning our time. We will spending 6 additional days in the North Island area.Thank you so much for all the wonderful information and pictures.

Appreciate so much the kind comments from Sheila and Jeff in wonderful San Diego. Keep up your good research and planning in connection with your Jan. 2015 adventure down under. Let me know any added questions, info needs, etc. Happy to share more with you and any others. Don't be shy!! The only bad question is the one you don't ask.

This live/blog just passed over the 65,000 views level in less than a six months period of time. This series of postings and pictures has a chance to catch the nearly 177,000 views from our 2011 Med cruise and the nearly 148,000 views with our 2010 Norway coast/fjords adventure. Keep up the good involvement and interest.

Now in Colorado, enjoying a "Rocky Mountain High", with long-time friends, John and Susan, who were along on this down under adventure with us. But, we are doing without any of that Mary Jane stuff in Colorado. Great sights and sites here. Most of our time in Colorado Springs, but visits to Boulder, Denver, Crested Butte and Breckenridge, etc. Now working on our planned late March-April 2015 Africa (Kenya-Zanzibar-Madagascar-South Africa-Botswana) adventure.

For details and visuals, etc., from our July 1-16, 2010, Norway Coast/Fjords/Arctic Circle cruise experience from Copenhagen on the Silver Cloud, check out this posting. This posting is now at 147,607 views. Nice to be hitting this high of a level for viewership. Appreciate the interest and follow-up questions/comments!!