Solstice Live: Australia/NZ/Hawaii, Many Pix’s, Jan. 20-Feb. 3

TLCOhio

Can anyone recommend a mid-priced hotel in Auckland in a good location for sightseeing?

I stayed at a budget hotel: http://www.jucyhotel.com/locations/snooze-auckland/

Great location just around the corner from the cruise terminal, ferry terminal, airport bus stop, HoHo bus stop, etc. and a short walk to the Sky Tower.

Room was clean, bed was comfortable, WiFi available and they stored my luggage after check out so I was able to do some more sightseeing before I had to catch airport bus in the afternoon.

Can anyone recommend a mid-priced hotel in Auckland in a good location for sightseeing?

Appreciate the helpful follow-up posts for this question as to where to stay in Auckland. This NZ city does have many options.

Our hotel was the Skycity Grand, 90 Federal Street. Worked well for our two nights in Auckland. Maybe the best dining for our entire trip down under was at O’Connell Street Bistro in Auckland. We discovered why this small, quaint dining place has gained such high ratings.

In a city like Auckland, much depends on what you consider as "mid-priced". Large, popular cities such as Auckland are not always "cheap". Luck plays a factor as during the period of highest demand, the hotel computers will move pricing up and UP to deal with the number of requests they have versus their inventory. Like in Copenhagen, check various web sources, book something early, see if any bargains pop up, etc. Be ready to adjust based on pricing and location. For us, location is important. There are so many wonderful options in Auckland that you do not want to waste too much time on logistics as you seek to maximize your limited time in this great city.

THANKS! Enjoy! Terry in Ohio

For Athens and nearby, look at this earlier posting for many options and visual samples from this city that is so great for seeing its great history, style and architecture. This posting is now at 16,022 views.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1101008

Fire has ripped through 300 hectares and the Tranz Alpine rail journey is out of action for a while until damage done to rails and bridges can be repaired. It will effect up to 20,000 passengers who will now have to bussed.

http://www.radionz.co.nz/news/nation...alpine-journey]

From this posting and details on another board by Kiwi Kruzer, this is sad news for New Zealand, plus affecting visitors to the scenic area!!

From the NZ Herald, they had this headline on Feb. 8: "17,000 Tranz Alpine bookings affected after fire damage closes Midland Line to West Coast" with these highlights: "KiwiRail says 17,000 Tranz Alpine bookings to the West Coast are affected by the closure of the Midland Line after bridges were badly damaged in a scrub fire at the weekend. KiwiRail confirmed the only railway line to the West Coast will remain closed for at least six weeks. A tentative date of April 3 has been touted for the reopening. The fire covered 300ha in an inaccessible part of the high country, damaging bridges, track and signal systems."

Clearly this means for the current season of cruise ship visitors, that their chances for taking this rail trip will not be possible. Below are some of my pictures from our enjoying of this "adventure" that were posted earlier on this live/blog.

Full story at:

http://www.nzherald.co.nz/business/news/article.cfm?c_id=3&objectid=11796893

If Venice is one of your future desires or past favorites, look at this earlier posting for many options and visual samples this city that is so great for "walking around", personally seeing its great history and architecture. This posting is now at 65,404 views.

Venice: Loving It & Why??!!

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1278226

Here is the one NZ Herald picture that was included with their article to indicate how the damage affected the rail line, bridge, etc.:

DecTravel2016A%20042_zpszknzaeyd.jpg

First is one of my visuals that gives a little sampling for the spectacular Waimakariri River gorge seen from the Tranz Alpine Rail trip. Great "drama" in this aspect of the trip, especially with the blue waters that we would later travel "up-close-and-personal" via a JetBoat trip.:

TranzAlpineA5_zps73e6fb17.jpg

This second picture gives an idea for the view from the outdoor viewing platform near the front of this train. It had a covered roof but open sides to create an ideal location to take photos from the train. No photo glare from trying to shoot through a window. I spent most the time through the mountains in this rail car location.:

TranzAlpineA6_zpsc065166b.jpg

Yes, there was snow on some of the mountain tops in this part of NZ, even during the summer time. The blue water are part of scenic nature for this park and its nearby area. The mix of steep gorges and wide braided rivers straddle the main divide. Below are three more visual samples from here and captured during our late January 2014 trip.:

TranzAlpineA11_zpsb1108dff.jpg

TranzAlpineA8_zps98fbfe9c.jpg

TranzAlpineA9_zps041aeefa.jpg

AUSTRALIA VISITORS TODAY??: Have a small-group luncheon today with a visiting group of young political leaders from Australia touring our State Capitol in Ohio, etc. Always enjoy being and interacting with those fun, interesting people from this country that we loved so much from our early 2014 visit there. It will be great to catch up about the latest in developments for Australia and that part of the world.

Will try to share more as to what I learn that is "new" down under, how they like things from their visiting in the United States, etc. Always stimulating to be learning more about the history and people from other areas, getting ideas for future travels, etc.

From our Jan. 25-Feb. 20, 2015, Amazon River-Caribbean combo sailing over 26 days that started in Barbados, here is the link below to that live/blog. Lots of great visuals from this amazing Brazil river and these various Caribbean Islands (Dutch ABC's, St. Barts, Dominica, Grenada, etc.) that we experienced. Check it out at:

http://www.boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2157696

Now at 47,940 views for these postings.

Edited by TLCOhio

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks as usual Terry for a wonderful and thorough journey through Australia & New Zealand. I have completed my planning for our Scandinavian/Norwegian fjords back to back cruises in August and decided to look ahead to the next trip to plan. So Australia/New Zealand has been on the top of my list for a long time, but my partner Fred LOVES to ski every weekend (we live in Colorado) so he refuses to leave here from December through April. I know that's the best time to go there, but I have decided I want to go regardless of the "best time" so now I am thinking October of 2018. I love cruises but am hesitant about the 2 day Tasman Sea rough seas, plus the loss of 2 sightseeing days there, so we may just go by land and air the whole trip. Next I am going to read about your African journey - my eyes can't see any more tonight ! - because that is probably the next trip I will plan. I am curious about your occupation - I am sure you figured our that I am an attorney with my username - but you see to talk about law occasionally as well as TV, plus you host people from other countries that seem to be here in official capacities, so I was wondering what it is that you do if you care to say. My email is crimlaw@ecentral.com if you prefer to reply to that.

• 3 weeks later...
Thanks as usual Terry for a wonderful and thorough journey through Australia & New Zealand. I have completed my planning for our Scandinavian/Norwegian fjords back to back cruises in August and decided to look ahead to the next trip to plan. So Australia/New Zealand has been on the top of my list for a long time, but my partner Fred LOVES to ski every weekend (we live in Colorado) so he refuses to leave here from December through April. I know that's the best time to go there, but I have decided I want to go regardless of the "best time" so now I am thinking October of 2018. I love cruises but am hesitant about the 2 day Tasman Sea rough seas, plus the loss of 2 sightseeing days there, so we may just go by land and air the whole trip. Next I am going to read about your African journey - my eyes can't see any more tonight ! - because that is probably the next trip I will plan. I am curious about your occupation - I am sure you figured our that I am an attorney with my username - but you see to talk about law occasionally as well as TV, plus you host people from other countries that seem to be here in official capacities, so I was wondering what it is that you do if you care to say. My email is crimlaw@ecentral.com if you prefer to reply to that.

Appreciate your great follow-up and excellent interests/questions. Yes, I am very happy to share more!! Will send an e-mail and we can possibly hook-up by telephone. Typing with our fingers is an option, but nothing beats a "real conversation". Much quicker/easier on the fingers and brain!!

Lots of great travel options and potentials in the world to consider, research, plan and do. As we did in Australia/New Zealand, it was a combination of BOTH sailing and land/air travel that worked so well for us. That's even more important when traveling such a long distance to get to places such as those two countries.

As linked below, we just completed our latest "adventure". Not as dramatic as doing Africa, Amazon River, etc., but we had lots of fun, interesting sights, etc. Plus, a very good added day prior to sailing in Fort Lauderdale and a great three days after the cruise in San Francisco with Alcatraz, the musical Hamilton, wonderful SF food, touring, great architecture, unique history, etc.

Now shifting gears to finish planning for June 2017 in doing Lisbon/Portugal to Rouen/France, including previously-unseen parts of Spain, Bordeaux, Brittany, etc. Then, for late January 2018 to do our first visit to Southeast Asia, including Hong Kong, Vietnam, Cambodia, Laos and Bangkok.

Panama Canal? Just completed Feb. 28-Mar. 15, 2017, Fort Lauderdale to San Francisco adventure through the Panama Canal with our first stops in Colombia, Central America and Mexico, plus added time in the great Golden Gate City. Lots of fun pictures!! See more at:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2465580

Thanks Terry - look forward to hearing from you by email or phone! Your next trips sound great. I think I am trailing around the world behind you as Spain & Portugal are coming up on my list after Australia/NZ & South Africa. Maybe one of these days we will be on the same cruise!

Thanks Terry - look forward to hearing from you by email or phone! Your next trips sound great. I think I am trailing around the world behind you as Spain & Portugal are coming up on my list after Australia/NZ & South Africa. Maybe one of these days we will be on the same cruise!

Terry, I just looked at all your photos. All I can say is WOW!!! They make me feel like I am right next to you. You are an artist with a camera. Thank you so much for sharing your fantastic photos. Tony

Appreciate these great comments and follow-ups. For Maureen, our Colorado criminal law expert, glad that we were able to chat by phone. As we discussed, the big, BIG challenge with doing Australia and New Zealand is that there are so many, many different, great potentials and options. It is not like some towns or countries where there are just two or three excellent "must-do's". Australia is big, BIG, like the size of the main part of the United States. Putting together your logistics and figuring out your priorities can be seriously challenging. It all takes lots of advance thought, research and planning. Not easy or simple to get that "flow" correct or perfect.

Love the great comments from Lucky TGO. Much enjoyed. I have shared with my wife. It's great to be in places such as Australia and New Zealand that make the photographers looked so skilled.

NOW OVER 175,000 Views!!: Glad that this series of postings continues to get strong interest three years after our exciting trip down under. Keep it coming!! Welcome any questions, comments, etc. Always happy to share more and I continue to follow the issues, options and people in these two key countries. Don't know when we will make it back there as right now we are working on other locations where we have not yet had a chance for our first visits there. That's why Portugal, Bordeaux and Brittany are our priorities in less than three months and we have SE Asia on the top target list for early 2018.

AFRICA?!!?: Lots of interesting and dramatic pictures can be seen from my latest live/blog at:

www.boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2310337

Now at 30,613 views for this reporting and visual sharing that includes Cape Town, all along the South Africa coast, Mozambique, Victoria Falls/Zambia and Botswana's famed Okavango Delta area.

From the Wall Street Journal this morning, they have this headline: Sheep Give Way to Grapes in New Zealand Wine Boom with this sub-headline: "vineyards spread as high-quality New Zealand wines gain a following abroad".

Here are some of the story's details and highlights: A growing taste for more expensive wine in the U.S. and elsewhere is encouraging the world’s biggest winemakers to turn New Zealand’s sheep and dairy farms into vineyards. Among major exporters, wine from New Zealand commands the highest prices of any country after France, according to the International Organization of Vine and Wine. The nation’s cooler climate is more suitable to growing smaller volumes of higher-quality grapes. Exports to the U.S. have nearly tripled in volume since 2009. At a time when American drinkers are willing to spend more per bottle, last year U.S. wine imports from New Zealand overtook Australia to rank the third highest by total value, after No. 1 Italy and runner-up France.

Interesting story, background, etc.!! We have always enjoyed the wines we have tried from New Zealand, plus loving our visit there in 2014. Since this newspaper has a paywall, not all can access it. Fortunately, I am a web/daily subscriber. Nice reading!! Congrats to the good folks in NZ!

Full story at:

https://www.wsj.com/articles/sheep-give-way-to-grapes-in-new-zealand-wine-boom-1490693409

For details and visuals, etc., from our July 1-16, 2010, Norway Coast/Fjords/Arctic Circle cruise experience from Copenhagen on the Silver Cloud, check out this posting. This posting is now at 211,282 views.

www.boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1227923

• 3 weeks later...

From the London/UK Guardian today, they have this headline: Kangaroo Island? More like ‘Noah’s Ark on an island’ ”.

Here are some of their travel profile highlights: The island, discovered by British explorer Matthew Flinders in his 1802 circumnavigation of Australia, is a half-hour flight from Adelaide, and a haven for more than kangaroos. Flinders Chase national park has been a sanctuary for endangered animals since the early 20th century. At Admirals Arch – a rock formation just below the lighthouse – seal pups play in the freezing water while their mothers rest on the rocks.

Nice graphics and pictures are a part of this article. It all brought back nice memories!! This author used the same firm and top guide, Craig Wickham, that we were fortunate to be connected with during our time on this amazing island. Love Kangaroo Island!!

Full story at:

https://www.theguardian.com/travel/2017/apr/16/kangaroo-island-south-australia-wildlife-walking-trail

Panama Canal? Just completed Feb. 28-Mar. 15, 2017, Fort Lauderdale to San Francisco adventure through the Panama Canal with our first stops in Colombia, Central America and Mexico, plus added time in the great Golden Gate City. Lots of fun pictures!! Those pictures start on the second page, post #26. See more at:

• 1 month later...

From the News publication in Australia earlier this month, they have this headline: Queenstown, New Zealand, is being loved to death.

Here are some of the story highlights: The big problem facing the tiny town that can arguably lay claim to being the adventure capital of world tourism: It is being loved to death, a soaring popularity completely overwhelming the existing infrastructure Not so long ago, Queenstown was a winter town. The ski season was huge, but restaurants would close for a month or two in summer. Queenstown now is a year-round town. Summer tourists are flying in for glorious bushwalks, or to throw themselves off tall bridges at the end of a bungee cord. New Zealand wines are known around the world. The airport is humming. In 2005, 610,000 people travelled through Queenstown Airport. Last year, that figure had soared to 1.8 million”.

Busy? Busy? Yes, it's a sign of success. We super enjoyed our visit and sampling in Queenstown. BUT, realize those crowds can take away from the fun and excitement.

Full story at:

http://www.news.com.au/travel/travel-advice/travellers-stories/queenstown-new-zealand-is-being-loved-to-death/news-story/7d94a86f94f9eada935cf0cee3d29171

Venice: Loving It & Why??!! Is one of your future desires or past favorites? See these many visual samples for its great history and architecture. This posting is now at 68,142 views.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1278226

Appreciate those who have dropped by this live-blog. It has just gone over 180,000 views and I am glad there is interest. Don't be shy!! Happy to answer any questions and/or learn any updates from those visiting these great areas more recently. Keep up the excellent sharing!!

From our Jan. 25-Feb. 20, 2015, Amazon River-Caribbean adventure that started in Barbados, here is the link for that live/blog. Many visuals from this amazing river and Caribbean Islands (Dutch ABC's, St. Barts, Dominica, Grenada, etc.):

www.boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2157696

Now at 50,959 views for these postings.

• 2 weeks later...

Getting ready in five days to be departing for Lisbon and our first visit to Portugal. Then, we will be seeing NW Spain, Bordeaux and Brittany also for the first time in these charming regions. Will do a live/blog for these "adventures". Join in and feel free to ask any questions as we sail. It will be on the Silversea Cruise Critic board.

After these postings start, I will provide here a direct link and few sample visuals. It's always good to share "eye candy", right? This live/blog is about to go over 181,000 views and I appreciate those who have dropped-by, tuned-in and made comments. Keep up the great sharing!!

Did a June 7-19, 2011, cruise from Barcelona that had stops in Villefranche, ports near Pisa and Rome, Naples, Kotor, Venice and Dubrovnik. Dozens of nice visuals with key highlights, tips, comments, etc. We are now at 225,084 views for this live/blog re-cap, including much on wonderful Barcelona. Check these postings and added info at:

www.boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1426474

• 4 weeks later...

We're back!! Great weather and fun!

LATEST ADVENTURE??!!: Here are the details from three weeks in Europe doing five days in Lisbon, sailing from Portugal, seeing for the first time NW Spain, Bordeaux, Brittany, etc. Great sights and sites! Below are a few "samples" to prove the value for exploring these wonderful areas. For many more pictures and full details, check out this live/blog:

www.boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2511358

AFRICA?!!?: Lots of interesting and dramatic pictures can be seen from this live/blog at:

Now at 32,521 views for this visual sharing including Cape Town, along South Africa’s coast, Mozambique, Victoria Falls/Zambia and Botswana's famed Okavango Delta area.

For Sintra north of Lisbon, here is one small visual sampling. Yes, as we told our grandsons, these are "Real Castles!". Really have learned lots on the unique history of Portugal.:

(Open your screen/viewer wider to see these pictures larger!)

June%202017A%201542_zpsrs25wyvr.jpg

From Porto, during our first trip to Portugal, we loved doing a small-craft sailing along their historic town areas near where Port wines are stored and sold.:

June%202017A%201545_zps0k0xqxq3.jpg

At the Guggenheim in Bilbao, the art is mostly about the building. Lighting and time of day when photo shooting allows for much creativity as to how you can capture this structure, its outdoor art, the inside drama, etc. Not your grandfather's museum! Like?:

June%202017A%201564_zpsjjiq8ype.jpg

Here is one quick visual sample from being in Bordeaux. If you love history and architecture, this is the super place to be!!. Like the little boy enjoying the water experience?: June%202017A%201587_zpsw32y5i9v.jpg

During our Guernsey Island visit off of the French coast, we did our ship's "Powerboat Seascape Expedition". Great fun and sightings! Isn't this puffin cute?? Plus, lots of seal, beach, sea gull, etc., actions and activities.:June%202017A%201627_zpsnz42afom.jpg

After the cruise concluded in Rouen, we finished with in-depth time in Brittany and to finish with a stop at Monet's Giverny before flying out from Paris' de Gaulle airport.:

June%202017A%201625_zpspdjx3z9y.jpg

• 4 weeks later...

Here are a couple of updates regarding New Zealand that might be of interest. First, yesterday the latest edition of Travel+Leisure magazine arrived with their "Best in the World" rankings. These are not always perfect surveys, but they are interesting. Among their list for the 100 best hotels in the world, they had the "Farm at Cape Kidnapper" at Hawke's Bay as 40th on this international listing with an outstanding 96.54 rating. During our 2014 cruise, we had an excellent tour and lunch there. It was fabulous!! It's nice to see this well-deserved recognition for a place that we super loved.

From People Magazine this past week, they have this headline: New Zealand Travel Guide: Her 5 Must-See Destinations from Bryce Dallas Howard, an actress and daughter of well-known director Ron Howard. Her overall summary for NZ is: “It was like stepping into a portal and stepping out into a magical kingdom. The green was shocking, the mountains epic, the water full of what looked to me to be sparkling diamonds. I have been chasing this experience my whole life. New Zealand is truly my ‘happy place.'

Here are two of the key highlights for two different locations that we were able to very much have enjoyed. This included Arrowtown: This charming town is an example of a historic gold mining town. It almost feels like the Wild West out there. Autumn in particular is so beautiful with the leaves falling around you in these little towns — it feels like a movie!”.

And she said this about Bay of Islands as this location: "must be one of the most beautiful and peaceful places that I’ve ever been. Looking outside of my hotel room one day I thought to myself that it looked like Neverland. There are little sandy coves with untouched beaches, dozens of private islands, and pods of hundreds of dolphins diving in and out of the water. Being there is such a serene experience. It’s transformative to see and experience such natural beauty. It’s my favorite place in contrast to Queenstown, which is more mountainous and gets snow in the winter. It’s a perfect example of how everything in New Zealand is so geographically close yet so different."

Nice thoughts and comments that bring back wonderful memories from traveling in New Zealand.

Full story at:

http://people.com/home/bryce-dallas-howard-new-zealand-travel-guide/

AFRICA?!!?: Lots of interesting and dramatic pictures can be seen from this live/blog at:

Now at 33,454 views for this visual sharing including Cape Town, along South Africa’s coast, Mozambique, Victoria Falls/Zambia and Botswana's famed Okavango Delta area.

• 1 month later...

From the BBC Travel Section earlier this summer, they had this broadcast story headline:“Why are Australians so relaxed? with these highlights: Australians have long been known for having a relaxed and casual attitude to life. According to Dr Tanya King, senior lecturer in anthropology from Victoria’s Deakin University, 'it’s Australians’ egalitarianism, sense of humour and informal language that are most commonly cited as examples of this attitude'. An egalitarian spirit was worn as a badge of honour. These traits are nothing new. They were obvious in 1977 when ex-Australian cricketer Dennis Lillee greeted the Queen with a ‘G'day, how ya goin'?’.

This story continues: "According to Dr King, this sense of ‘mateship’ – of everyone being equal – is rooted in the history of the country’s white settlement. People come over here to get a fresh start and to get away from intensely stratified class system in the UK and other parts of the world. The informal way Australians use language, using ‘ockerisms’ (an ocker is an uncultured Australian) and abbreviations, is also believed to stem from convict times. The tough conditions of settler times also played a part in Australians’ dry, self-deprecating and sarcastic sense of humour."

This only a small sampling from this long, detailed profile about Australia, their history, culture, etc. It all adds up to wishing we would be able to get back to Australia sooner. Fun, interesting media profile!! Reactions from those in Australia? What is this story missing?

Full BBC story at:

http://www.bbc.com/travel/story/20170607-why-are-australians-so-laid-back

For details and visuals, etc., from our July 1-16, 2010, Norway Coast/Fjords/Arctic Circle cruise experience from Copenhagen on the Silver Cloud, check out this posting. This posting is now at 219,270 views.

Oops, I should have noted the date of the OP. I had responded re the name Tasmania, but if I trawl through the 34-odd pages I will no doubt come across somebody who has already given a potted history of that.

Edited by Beejay4016
Failed to notice the age of the original post.

TLCOhio, I think that both the Australian and New Zealand tourism authorities should employ - and pay you. You do a wonderful job for enticing people to our lands down under. A joy to read.

YES!! You are very wise and smart with your excellent suggestion. I will go to my mailbox to see if the contract and check arrives this week. Appreciate your very kind comments and this nice follow-ups. It's been enjoyable sharing the "good news" about Australia and New Zealand.

Panama Canal? Completed Feb. 28-Mar. 15, 2017, Fort Lauderdale to San Francisco adventure through the Panama Canal with our first stops in Colombia, Central America and Mexico, plus added time in the great Golden Gate City. Lots of fun, interesting pictures!! Those visuals start on the second page, post #26. See more at:

• 1 month later...

Originally posted by MMDown Under It is
reported to be the No.1 beach on Kangaroo Island
and it is beautiful indeed. However, a local told me about a beach he thought was more beautiful and I had to agree.
KI is blessed with beautiful beaches.

On another thread, the above was posted about beaches on this lovely island off of the coast of Australia. Not sure what location was given this top recognition. YES, Kangaroo Island has some beautiful beaches. Earlier on this live/blog. I posted a few pictures showing a small sampling of these sights that we enjoyed in these locations. Below are a few more of my pictures from there. Love it when their are wild birds and animals on these K.I. beaches.

Lisbon, NWSpain, Bordeaux/Brittany: Just finished June 2017 sailing from Portugal to France along the scenic Atlantic Coast, plus great pre- and post-cruise experiences. Many interesting pictures and details on history, food, culture, etc., from my live/blog at:

Here are a few additional beach-related views that I had not previously posted on this thread from our wonderful experience on Kangaroo Island.:

July%202017A%201616_zps5lrobosx.jpg

July%202017A%201619_zpsd29ywv9m.jpg

July%202017A%201618_zpsc8j5kczf.jpg

July%202017A%201617_zpseotadasj.jpg

• 2 months later...

From the London/UK Independent yesterday, they have this headline: Barossa Valley Becoming Australia Foodie Hub with these highlights: The restaurants of South Australia’s pastoral Barossa Valley post love letters to seasonal vegetables and friendly lectures on the virtues of sustainable eating. An hour’s drive north-east of Adelaide, the area built its reputation as an exceptional wine country long ago, specialising in full-bodied reds. But spurred by a state campaign to emphasise the region’s reputation for heritage breed livestock and 'minimal intervention' produce, the Barossa has been quickly solidifying a magnificent culinary reputation, too. Barossa is now home to Australian chefs and restaurants who are helping shape a broader national culinary project.

While there in early 2014, we did not have time to visit the Barossa Valley. It seems like a very good reason to head back to Australia and do more in and around wonderful Adelaide.

Full story at:

http://www.independent.co.uk/travel/ausandpacific/barossa-valley-wine-wineries-adelaide-accommodation-restaurants-australia-foodie-hub-why-a8095256.html

As an update for our plans in late January 2018, we will be doing our first visit to Southeast Asia. This will feature Hong Kong, Bangkok, Vietnam and Cambodia, including a seven-day Mekong River cruise with Avalon Waterways, seeing Angkor Wat and Hue/Danang, etc. We will be gone a little over one month for this latest “adventure”. Then for late November, 2018, looking to do an Athens to Dubai, 20-day cruise with Oceania, including our first visits to the Holy Lands, Egypt, Middle East, etc. Any tips, ideas and secrets from those who have visited this interesting, historic areas?

For details and visuals, etc., from our July 1-16, 2010, Norway Coast/Fjords/Arctic Circle cruise experience from Copenhagen on the Silver Cloud, check out this posting. This posting is now at 221,110 views.

• 3 weeks later...

From Harper's Bazaar magazine earlier this week, they have this headline: The 18 Places to Travel in 2018 with these highlights about wonderful Sydney: Landing in Sydney for the first time feels a little like walking into a fantasy world. With azulene beaches and green nature parks, friendly locals, and exotic animals making appearances around every corner, Australia's best-known city is an adventure a minute. A stop at the Sydney Opera House is an absolute must, as is taking in the foaming swell of the world-famous Bondi Beach, but there’s much more to Sydney than it’s big-name sights. Learn more about the area’s original inhabitants, the aboriginal Guringai people, at the Ku-ring-gai Chase National Park, where over 800 sites have been preserved. Admire some of Australia’s astounding native animals as well as samplings from all over the world at the Taronga Zoo or the Sea Life Sydney Aquarium, then take an afternoon break at one of the many (many) excellent coffee shops in the city–Australians don’t kid around about coffee. Grab dinner in the city’s revered Chinatown (or Koreatown, Thaitown, or the Singaporean Spice Alley); Sydney is home to some of the most delicious and authentic Asian food outside of the continent.

This is the time of the year when many publications are highlighting the best places to visit for the upcoming year. Nice that Sydney gets lots of these top mentions. Well deserved honors!!

Full story at:

http://www.harpersbazaar.com/culture/travel-dining/a14427100/travel-destinations-2018/

AFRICA?!!?: Lots of interesting, dramatic pictures can be seen from this live/blog at:

Now at 36,297 views for this visual sharing including Cape Town, along South Africa’s coast, Mozambique, Victoria Falls/Zambia and Botswana's famed Okavango Delta area.

Here is the Sydney graphic used in this magazine article. Brings back nice memories for us about the Opera House, Sydney, etc.:

Screen%20Shot%202017-12-25%20at%2010.53.10%20AM_zpszetcmorn.png

From the Travel Section of the London/UK Telegraph this morning, they have this headline: Why Sydney is the greatest city on Earth right nowwith these highlights: “Find culture, couture and cocktails in Australia’s most vibrant metropolis this winter, says Ariela Bard. Sydney’s beaches aren’t the only spots that heat up over summer. The place lights up from Jan 6-28 as the annual Sydney Festival (sydneyfestival.org.au/2018/) transforms pockets of the city into a cultural hub of ideas, theatre, dance, art, music and circus. And if you are in the city tomorrow night, the New Year celebrations are world class.

It would be super fun to be in Sydney for the spectacular fireworks in the harbor area.

Full story at:

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/travel/destinations/oceania/australia/new-south-wales/sydney/articles/why-sydney-is-the-greatest-city-on-earth-right-now/

Lisbon, NWSpain, Bordeaux/Brittany: Just finished June 2017 sailing from Portugal to France along the scenic Atlantic Coast, plus great pre- and post-cruise experiences. Many interesting pictures and details on history, food, culture, etc., from my live/blog at:

Whew! Spent the weekend catching up with this thread. Somehow had missed it.

Australia & New Zealand have always been on my bucket list. Just wasn’t sure about land-only vacation vs cruise. Terry, your informative review and fabulous pictures have convinced me. Solstice cruise it is! :cool: