Solstice Live: Australia/NZ/Hawaii, Many Pix’s, Jan. 20-Feb. 3

TLCOhio

From the London/UK Independent newspaper last month, they had this headline: "48 hours in Melbourne" with these highlights: "Melbourne has long prided itself as Australia’s arts capital. Melbourne is often called Australia’s “Garden City” thanks to its parks, some of which run either side of St Kilda Road, south of the river. St Kilda itself is a hip district located along the beach that lines Port Phillip Bay. The edgy eastern suburbs of Fitzroy, Richmond and Collingwood, and the more upscale southeastern suburbs of South Yarra and Prahan, meanwhile, offer plenty of shops, restaurants and cafés. While known for its fashion, Melbourne is also a great place to shop for accessories. Head to Flinders Lane to coo over the Aladdin’s cave of designer fashion accessories at Christine. Spring in Melbourne signals rooftop boozing, with plenty of options to choose. Melbourne’s restaurants are key to the city’s reputation as one of the world’s most sustainable cities."

From our trip to Australia (other than passing through their airport on the way from Cairns to Adelaide), we did not get to see Melbourne. But look forward to sampling this city during a future visit. Reactions from the experts as to this newspaper writer's suggestions and ideas?

Full story at:

http://www.independent.co.uk/travel/48-hours-in/australia-holidays-melbourne-hotels-restaurants-attractions-flights-new-a7347646.html

THANKS! Enjoy! Terry in Ohio

AFRICA?!!?: Lots of interesting and dramatic pictures can be seen from my latest live/blog at:

http://www.boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2310337

Now at 22,714 views for this reporting and visual sharing that includes Cape Town, all along the South Africa coast, Mozambique, Victoria Falls/Zambia and Botswana's famed Okavango Delta area.

From the Sidney Morning Herald and other Fairfax newspapers in Australia yesterday, they have this headline: "Solstice: cruise ship rated Australia's best gets $11 million makeover".

Here are some of their story highlights: "Celebrity Solstice, has arrived in Sydney following a multimillion-dollar makeover, which includes new outdoor cinema and foodie experience and Australia's first Tiffany & Co. store at sea. Celebrity Solstice was awarded the Best Cruise Ship, and after an $11 million revitalisation, the ship looks to retain its top rating. Boasting a Miami-beach vibe, this cruise ship is nothing like the old-school, rather stuffy sea experience we've come to imagine. There's definitely a US east coast flare and something quite luxe-hip about this ship, from its bars, to restaurants and the touch of subtle neo-lights, which oddly evokes the feeling of summer music festival and parties."

Nice review and details on the Solstice. We enjoyed this ship so much from both a 2011 Med cruises and our 2014 Sydney to Auckland sailing.

This story also shares: "One of the ship's standout new features includes the new lawn club cabanas. The ship has added six new alcove-style cabanas with super comfy cushions to the lawn area on the top deck, which mirror the sails of the Opera House. The cabanas can be adjusted, so when you tire of the views out to sea, it can be rotated to face the outdoor movie screen."

Assume that they have not changed one of my top favorite areas as shown below from this one picture in my visual file. More “Solstice: Visuals, Highlights Shared!” are at:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1803477

Now at 40,785 views for this posting.

Full story at:

http://www.traveller.com.au/celebrity-solstice-cruise-ship-rated-australias-best-gets-11-million-makeover-gspfrt

Did a June 7-19, 2011, cruise from Barcelona that had stops in Villefranche, ports near Pisa and Rome, Naples, Kotor, Venice and Dubrovnik. Dozens of nice visuals with key highlights, tips, comments, etc. We are now at 218,953 views for this live/blog re-cap, including much on wonderful Barcelona. Check these postings and added info at:

http://www.boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1426474

The Solarium was one of our most favorite areas. Food and drinks were nearby and it was very relaxed and sophisticated. Quieter, too, as it is an adults-only area. Two hot tubs here. Not crowded, especially in the evenings. Nice art and design with this facility. Wonderful setting for relaxing and watching the outside water/shore views, enjoying subtle inside action, etc.:

SolsticeSolariumSunnyDay.jpg

• 3 weeks later...

From the New York Times Travel Section coming on Sunday morning, they will have this headline: "36 Hours in Sydney" with this sub-headline: "Venture past Sydney’s Central Business District to where residents live and play, and you’ll discover that the city’s heart is nowhere near the center of town."

There are lots of ideas, pictures, details, suggestions, etc., in this profile story. Many of items focus on the food, drink, etc. Clearly this story is correct that Sydney is much more than the usual and well-known icons in the central harbor area.

Here are a few more of the story highlights: "Sydney is famous for its Opera House, its postcard-perfect beaches and its glorious natural harbor. But these are just small parts of what makes the city one of the world’s great urban centers. Dig into Sydney’s origins as a penal colony. Mingle at every opportunity with Sydneysiders, who may be the friendliest, most laid-back urbanites on the planet. Ask a bartender for a lesson in how to speak Australian. You’re sure to make friends. But to be properly seduced by Sydney and its people, venture past the buttoned-up Central Business District to where residents live and play, and you’ll discover that the city’s heart is nowhere near the center of town."

This story notes this key history factoid: "In the aftermath of America’s victory in the Revolutionary War, the British needed a new place of exile for convicts and found one in Sydney, some 18 years after Capt. James Cook claimed the continent’s east coast for Britain in 1770."

Lots of interesting information in this travel writing piece. It brings back nice memories and makes one want to return there to Australia, again!!

Full story at:

http://www.nytimes.com/interactive/2016/12/08/travel/what-to-do-36-hours-in-sydney-australia.html?rref=collection%2Fsectioncollection%2Ftravel&action=click&contentCollection=travel&region=rank&module=package&version=highlights&contentPlacement=1&pgtype=sectionfront

Super loved Dubrovnik!!! See more details and lots of great visual samples/examples at this link. Have had over 33,874 views on this posting and appreciate those who have tuned-in and dropped by.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1439227

From the Wall Street Journal in late September, they have this headline: "Historic District in Sydney is the City’s Newest Must-Visit Destination" with this sub headline: "Once an industrial enclave, Chippendale is now home to a thriving art and food scene"

Among the story highlights are: "In the ’80's, Chippendale—a neighborhood near Sydney’s midtown business district was considered unsavory. An underground art space and nightclub called Lanfranchi’s Memorial Discotheque sparked an avant-garde movement in the district that has continued to grow ever since. And now, more than a decade after the area’s iconic 19th-century brewery closed its doors, in 2005, the six-acre complex has been restored as a mixed-use urban village called Central Park. Even with its sleek new architectural landmarks, the neighborhood remains a breeding ground for exploratory art. A handful of restaurants and cafes has redefined Chippendale as a new culinary corner in the city. Ester Restaurant and Bar has attracted locals with its innovative menu, including steak marinated in fermented rice and served with grilled shiitakes. Around the corner is the popular barbecue joint LP’s Quality Meats, which has a car-size wood-burning smoker."

Sounds fun and interesting!! One of this publication's readers posted these added ideas and suggestions: "Chippendale is my favourite part of Sydney. It's actually a very green suburb too, with communal gardens that line the streets. Check out Michael Mobbs and his sustainable house. It's home to a lot of creative types including our national treasure, author David Malouf. I've been there since early 2010 and the changes I've witnessed have been immense. For coffee, I still recommend Toby's Estate on City Road. The best Bakery is Brickfield's off Cleveland Street."

Full story at:

http://www.wsj.com/articles/a-historic-district-in-sydney-is-the-citys-newest-must-visit-destination-1475191589

Wonderful Kotor and nearby Montenegro? Check these postings. Have had over 32,894 views on this posting and appreciate those who have tuned-in and commented.:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1439193

I'm looking for a restaurant recommendation in Sydney for my husband's special birthday the Thursday night before we cruise. Steak or fish is preferred. I can take a taxi there but don't want it to be too far from where we might be staying, which might be the downtown area but not sure yet.

I'm looking for a restaurant recommendation in Sydney for my husband's special birthday the Thursday night before we cruise. Steak or fish is preferred. I can take a taxi there but don't want it to be too far from where we might be staying, which might be the downtown area but not sure yet.

Oh to have a crystal ball that allows one to read to mind of another. Are you joining your ship at White bay or the OPT. Where you stay will probably have a bearing on what maybe recommended. The rocks area around the OPT in circular Quay have a plethora of absolutely top restaurants amongst Sydney's finest. Darling Harbour and Kings Wharf also has a plethora of top restaurants covering all manner of food types.

The above two areas will give you plenty to choose from and are within easy reach of the Central City

I'm guessing somebody could give you a good recommendation for a restaurant in Manley. Then you could take the ferry over there and I think you could probably walk to anyplace recommended. What a great evening that would be! If the weather cooperates.

The restaurant Quay right at circular quay is outstanding but expensive.

Sent from my iPod touch using Forums

We ate at Fish At The Rocks when we visited Sydney in 2013, both the food and service were superb. My parents had visited on previous trips and it certainly met with the expectations set. However, there are lots of restaurants offering excellent food and service.

Edited by LPCKG

The restaurant Quay right at circular quay is outstanding but expensive.

Sent from my iPod touch using Forums

Last time I was in Oz, their dollar cost us more than one of ours! Today one of theirs will only cost you about 75cents in US! Supersecdd's dollar is the same as mine (Floridian).

Edited by May B

LPCKG: We ate at Fish At The Rocks when we visited Sydney in 2013' date=' both the food and service were superb. My parents had visited on previous trips and it certainly met with the expectations set. However, there are lots of restaurants offering excellent food and service. [/quote']

May B: Last time I was in Oz' date=' their dollar cost us more than one of ours! Today one of theirs will only cost you about 75cents in US! Supersecdd's dollar is the same as mine (Floridian). [/quote']

Appreciate so much these additional questions, comments, suggestions, sharing, etc.!! Very interesting and helpful. Keep it coming!! For us, our time in Sydney was pretty limited and for one of the evenings, I was busy doing the walk to the top of the Sydney Harbour Bridge. When we go back, we will have to focus more on exploring the various dining options/potentials. For many cities, we will check out the TripAdvisor website, see what places get good ratings that fit our needs and interests for food style, location, pricing, etc.

As of this morning, did check and one Australian Dollar equals 0.74 US Dollar. When we were planning our trip in 2013, one Aussie Dollar cost about $1.10. When there in early 2014, that Aussie Dollar cost about 88 cents. Yes, currency values go up and down!! For those in Australia, traveling internationally might be more expensive.

AFRICA?!!?: Lots of interesting and dramatic pictures can be seen from my latest live/blog at:

Now at 24,065 views for this reporting and visual sharing that includes Cape Town, all along the South Africa coast, Mozambique, Victoria Falls/Zambia and Botswana's famed Okavango Delta area.

• 2 weeks later...

From the Travel+Leisure magazine three days ago, their top editor visited this famed island and they have this headline: "Exploring Kangaroo Island, Off the Southern Coast of Australia".

Here are some of with the story highlights, including calling this unique area: "a hotspot for international travelers" and "an important environmental success story in Australia". Here was a key story summary: "Today K.I. is known throughout Australia for its produce: delicate, floral honey from the famed Ligurian bees; sustainably raised chicken, lamb, beef; sheep’s milk cheeses; wine."

The T+L editor hooked up with and used Craig Wickham of the touring company Exceptional Kangaroo Island. We used this company for our two days there and had a chance to spend some great, interesting time with Craig. The author noted that he "is an expert on all things K.I. (as everyone calls it), with an encyclopedic knowledge that does not prevent him from also being a highly entertaining guide." Yes, Craig and his company were wonderful!! He related this background about this island: "Craig explained to me that, after the Second World War, the Australian government gave land grants on the island to returning soldiers, who came here to raise sheep for wool. Although it took them a while to figure out how to get sheep to thrive on the island, eventually they succeeded, and sheep farming became the dominant industry."

He also noted: "when you stand on the island’s southern shore, there’s nothing between you and Antarctica except the waters of the Southern Ocean. As you might expect, the breezes are bracing."

This article brings back wonderful memories from our time on Kangaroo Island. Below are three pictures in connection with our time with super guide Craig. These pictures were posted earlier on this live/blog, but I wanted to share here since Craig and K.I. got this great media attention.

Full story at:

http://www.travelandleisure.com/trip-ideas/exploring-australia-kangaroo-island

Did a June 7-19, 2011, cruise from Barcelona that had stops in Villefranche, ports near Pisa and Rome, Naples, Kotor, Venice and Dubrovnik. Dozens of nice visuals with key highlights, tips, comments, etc. We are now at 219,647 views for this live/blog re-cap, including much on wonderful Barcelona. Check these postings and added info at:

http://www.boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1426474

This is Craig Wickham, the operator of Exceptional Kangaroo Island, who picked us up on our second day and took us on a "hunt", successfully, to find more Koalas out in the wild. Then, here are a a couple more of my Koala pictures that we enjoyed so much. Aren't they cute? So lovable?:

KangIslandOneA3_zpsd3aa84b1.jpg

KangIslandOneA1_zpsc37fce84.jpg

KangIslandOneA2_zpse4144184.jpg

Edited by TLCOhio

Thank you Terry for this great blog (and now I can catch up on my sleep!). We are planning this Celebrity cruise in November 2019, but going from Auckland to Sydney. Do you (or any of the other helpful posters on this thread) know how the Dunedin-Queenstown overnight excursion works in reverse? I have heard that weather in Milford Sound can be challenging -- what if our bus comes down the mountain but Solstice isn't there or the tenders can't manage? [Next stop -- two days at sea, then Sydney :eek:]

Thank you Terry for this great blog (and now I can catch up on my sleep!). We are planning this Celebrity cruise in November 2019, but going from Auckland to Sydney. Do you (or any of the other helpful posters on this thread) know how the Dunedin-Queenstown overnight excursion works in reverse? I have heard that weather in Milford Sound can be challenging -- what if our bus comes down the mountain but Solstice isn't there or the tenders can't manage? [Next stop -- two days at sea, then Sydney :eek:]

Appreciate this great and kind follow-up/comments, plus your very good question. Sorry for being the cause of your lost sleep!! You've got the holiday weekend to catch-up with your rest!!

In going from Auckland to Sydney, the Queenstown overnight should work smoothly and in a similar manner as it did for us. From the time periods both before and after our cruise, I have never seen or heard of any problems in making those needed timing connections. Why? Just like as when we approached Milford Sound coming from Australia, they stay in touch by radio and let folks on the ground know about their timing so that the "hand-off" is done smoothly and efficiently. Lots of cruise lines, including Celebrity, have done this overnight excursion for many, many years. They have the logistics and details down well and know how to make things work smoothly. That was our experience and part of what our experienced guide shared with me.

Other questions? Happy to share more!! Good luck in planning and preparing for your November 2018 adventure in this great part of the world.

For details and visuals, etc., from our July 1-16, 2010, Norway Coast/Fjords/Arctic Circle cruise experience from Copenhagen on the Silver Cloud, check out this posting. This posting is now at 206,954 views.

http://www.boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1227923

Thanks! I will be back with questions I'm sure -- but 2019 is a long way away [and I haven't really convinced DW that she can manage the long flights from the East Coast :eek:]. It's reassuring to know that you are still monitoring this thread -- it's a really valuable resource.

Thanks! I will be back with questions I'm sure -- but 2019 is a long way away [and I haven't really convinced DW that she can manage the long flights from the East Coast :eek:]. It's reassuring to know that you are still monitoring this thread -- it's a really valuable resource.

Terry´s blog is worth a kingdom! I´ve used it pre-cruise also.

As for the long flight: Overnight stopover might be a great idea. I had a stopover in Singapore and a few days Down Under pre-cruise which worked fine. Auckland is a great location for a pre-cruise stay. May I suggest a relaxing tour on the Auckland Harbour Ferry to Waiheke island and also a guided tour to the Auckland War Memorial Museum. The tour in the Museum includes a Maori cultural performance and gets you into NZ mood quickly.

For Bay of Islands I can recommend Celebrity´s Hokianga excursion which was great.

Terry´s blog is worth a kingdom! I´ve used it pre-cruise also.

As for the long flight: Overnight stopover might be a great idea. I had a stopover in Singapore and a few days Down Under pre-cruise which worked fine. Auckland is a great location for a pre-cruise stay. May I suggest a relaxing tour on the Auckland Harbour Ferry to Waiheke island and also a guided tour to the Auckland War Memorial Museum. The tour in the Museum includes a Maori cultural performance and gets you into NZ mood quickly.

For Bay of Islands I can recommend Celebrity´s Hokianga excursion which was great.

Who did you book the tour with in Auckland?

We are planning this Celebrity cruise in November 2019, but going from Auckland to Sydney. Do you (or any of the other helpful posters on this thread) know how the Dunedin-Queenstown overnight excursion works in reverse? I have heard that weather in Milford Sound can be challenging -- what if our bus comes down the mountain but Solstice isn't there or the tenders can't manage? [Next stop -- two days at sea, then Sydney :eek:]

The cruise line will be VERY conservative regarding that excursion in this direction.

If there is any doubt as to whether they will get into Milford they will simply cancel the excursion before reaching Dunedin.

We were on one cruise (not Celebrity) where we heard they had done this.

As it turned out we did get into Milford.

There may have been a few grizzles from those affected but the cruise line doesn't want a failed pick up.

Assuming the ship can actually enter the sound there should be no problem with the actual shore-ship transfer, as the weather inside is almost always a lot calmer than the entrance.

We have watched the transfers a few times and they seem to use a local tour boat not the ship's tenders for this run.

Who did you book the tour with in Auckland?

The harbour ferries are at the ferry terminal next to the cruise pier. You can buy a ticket at their ticket sales kiosk at the terminal. I took the ferry to Devenport due to limited time and it was nice. On my cruise I met a woman who lives on Waiheke island and highly recommended it.

The museum guided tour was booked with the museum. They have different packages which can be bought at their ticket sales counter. For times and prices see here: http://www.aucklandmuseum.com/

I also loved the view from the Sky Tower: https://www.skycityauckland.co.nz/attractions/sky-tower/

Again I just bought my ticket when I got there. It was a 20 min walk from my hotel. For a city tour I took the HoHo Bus which was very good http://www.explorerbus.co.nz/. For Airport transfer I took SkyBus which has several stops downtown (one is at the ferrry terminal/cruise terminal): https://www.skybus.co.nz/ It was a one hour ride from the ferry terminal to the airport.

Here is a 2.5 minutes photo slideshow of my time in Auckland post-cruise:

Edited by AntjeG

Terry´s blog is worth a kingdom! Here is a 2.5 minutes photo slideshow of my time in Auckland post-cruise:

Opua Kiwi: Assuming the ship can actually enter the sound there should be no problem with the actual shore-ship transfer' date=' as the [b']weather inside is almost always a lot calmer[/b] than the entrance.

Host Jazzbeau: Thanks! I will be back with questions I'm sure -- but 2019 is a long way away [and I haven't really convinced DW that she can manage the long flights from the East Coast ]. It's reassuring to know that you are still monitoring this thread -- it's a really valuable resource.

Appreciate these added' date=' nice follow-up, the video links, etc. [b']Very helpful!![/b] Yes, agree that the weather inside the Sound can be very different from what is out there in the open seas. That weather coming up from Antarctica can create "challenges" in these nearby ocean areas!!

For Host Jazzbeau, push your wife on the idea of using Hawaii, as we did, to break up the long, long flight schedule. Plus, enjoying Hawaii or maybe some other Pacific stop-over points can be fun.

Keep up the great sharing, questions, etc. This live/blog just went over 165,000 views and I am glad that so many have stopped by, are working on their research for upcoming travels to Australia and New Zealand, etc.

From our Jan. 25-Feb. 20, 2015, Amazon River-Caribbean combo sailing over 26 days that started in Barbados, here is the link below to that live/blog. Lots of great visuals from this amazing Brazil river and these various Caribbean Islands (Dutch ABC's, St. Barts, Dominica, Grenada, etc.) that we experienced. Check it out at:

http://www.boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2157696

Now at 46,620 views for these postings.

For those seeking interesting and different locations, this weekend's New York Times Travel Section will have this headline: "52 Places to Go in 2017" with many different ideas for adventures to be considered for the future.

Here is one story option and highlight of special interest to us: "Great Barrier Reef, Australia: A natural wonder is imperiled, but tourists can help. Increased sea temperatures, caused by climate change, El Niño and other factors, have caused extensive coral bleaching, mostly in the northern sections of Australia’s 1,430-mile long Great Barrier Reef. The world’s largest living organism — a mosaic of some 2,900 coral reefs and 900 islands — faces serious threats but conservation efforts are bearing fruit, and visitors can play a role in saving the reef. A turtle rehabilitation center on Fitzroy Island welcomes volunteers, as does the Lizard Island Research Station, and a host of other citizen science groups. And new or recently refurbished resorts on Hayman, Orpheus, Pumpkin and Lizard Islands offer idyllic places to explore this fragile, extraordinary natural wonder." Yes, we super loved our time here and it is great to see this spectacular area getting the attention and praise it deserves.

Among other great places highlighted are: Botswana, Madagascar, Stockholm, Portugal, Puerto Rico, Thailand, Sedona, Athens, Madrid, the Lofoten Island of Norway and Budapest. Some of these locations we have super enjoyed visiting, but there are lots more wonderful places meriting future attention. It's great doing this exploring and considering other interesting locations for the future. Love reading these various stories about nice options to consider!!

Full story at:

http://www.nytimes.com/interactive/2017/travel/places-to-visit.html?rref=collection%2Fsectioncollection%2Ftravel&action=click&contentCollection=travel&region=rank&module=package&version=highlights&contentPlacement=1&pgtype=sectionfront&_r=0

Super loved Dubrovnik!!! See more details and lots of great visual samples/examples at this link. Have had over 34,138 views on this posting and appreciate those who have tuned-in and dropped by.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1439227

• 3 weeks later...

From the Wall Street Journal on Jan. 25, they have this headline: "Australian Wines, Once Down Under, Rise Again" with this sub-head: "After its Yellow Tail moment, Australian wines went from being some of the world’s most sought-after to the hardest to sell. Now, signs of a recovery are emerging. A guide to the best."

Here are some of the story highlights: "Wines regularly slip in and out of fashion, but few have fallen as far as the wines of Australia did over the past decade. Once among the world’s most sought-after bottles, they are now some of the hardest to sell. Recently, however, there have been signs of a small but steady recovery. When Gordon Little launched his New York-based, all-Aussie distribution business, he found dusty old bottles of Australian wine lining retailers’ shelves. At New York restaurants, wine lists included '200 Burgundies and maybe two Australian wines,' he said. It was Shiraz, the red grape synonymous with Australia, that ignited—and later decimated—the American market for Australian wine. Starting in the late 1990s, it dominated for roughly a decade, thanks in part to two landmarks: Wine critic Robert M. Parker, Jr. began awarding high marks to big, rich Australian Shirazes, and Yellow Tail Shiraz made its U.S. debut. A cheap, mass-market brand that was cleverly packaged, Yellow Tail was easy to drink and was even favorably reviewed. Its success inspired other so-called 'critter' wines, which soon crowded the category and diminished the Australian brand. The oceans of cheap, nondistinct Shiraz, coupled with an unfavorable exchange rate following the 2008 financial crisis, helped catapult the Australian wine industry into crisis. World-wide exports fell 41%, from $2.28 billion in 2007 to $1.36 billion in 2013."

This story blamed "bad marketing" and a failure to identify the country’s different wine regions. This profile notes that there has been more interest in the past year. One wine cited was the 2014 Ashbrook Estate Margaret River Chardonnay. They conclude this specific wine "at $20 over-delivers for the price." It was also noted: "The return of small, quality producers has started to change U.S. perceptions of Australian wine yet again."

From the London/UK Guardian this past week, they have this headline: "Australia's wine exports boosted by 40% growth to China" with these highlights: "China’s increasing thirst for premium wines has helped boost the value of Australia’s wine exports by 7% to $2.2bn in 2016. Industry body Wine Australia said there was exceptional growth in exports to China, rising 40% to $520m last year."

There is lots of competition for wine sales around the world. Interesting to get this background on the history and newest trends affecting Aussie wines. When we visited Adelaide before our cruise, we regret that we did have more time to visit some wine location there. There's always the next time!! Look forward to that chance and fun!!

Full stories at:

http://www.wsj.com/articles/australian-wines-once-down-under-rise-again-1485359600

https://www.theguardian.com/australia-news/2017/jan/27/australias-wine-exports-boosted-by-40-growth-to-china-says-report

Now at 29,021 views for this reporting and visual sharing that includes Cape Town, all along the South Africa coast, Mozambique, Victoria Falls/Zambia and Botswana's famed Okavango Delta area.

Can anyone recommend a mid-priced hotel in Auckland in a good location for sightseeing?

I'll go one better - if you want a great Bed & Breakfast do yourself a favour and have a look at Ascot Parnell Bed & Breakfast @ http://www.ascotparnell.com/ - the owners, Bart & Therese, are very hospitable and helpful and the breakfast is divine.

You'll pay the same as you would for a mid priced hotel and get a lot more

Bart will ferry you around in his BMW and they are full of recommendations for sightseeing. Restaurants in Parnell are a short walk

We stayed there in December before our cruise and we're even considering returning to Auckland just to enjoy some more time at this great bed & breakfast :D