Urgent Question Re: Fantasy for Special Needs!!! Pls Read!

JustCruzinSC

Is there anyone out there whom is handicapped that has sailed on the Fantasy out of Charleston?? I would love to get info on the cabins or even pictures if possible??? We have been offered either Cabin M298 or U243??? Any experience with either of these, which one is better? Hubby is a stroke patient with moderate disability and uses a scooter??? We will be on the Valentines weekend sailing??

Thanks so much for any help as we are pretty new to your boards. We have sailed Carnival many times but this is our first since his stroke?:confused::confused::confused::o

I sail the Fantasy somewhat regularly and have stayed in all 4 handicapped cabins that she offers. Out of those two choices definitely take U243. There is a pretty strong mechanical drone that comes from the dead area around M298 & R298. It is a strong continuous noise that may annoy you.

Sorry but I didn't take ant pictures on the Fantasy but in my mind all of the handicapped cabins were pretty much identical. I am in a large powerchair and had adequate room to enter and maneuver in the room. Also had enough space in the bath to roll in and take care of business. The auto opener on the doors was a big help.

The Fantasy is my favorite handicapped transport vehicle. The crew and especially the passengers have always gone out of their way to make my trip an enjoyable one. The passengers who sail out of Charleston have always been very nice to me and I cant think of any bad experiences associated with lines, shows, or elevators. The crazies who sail out of NYC.....now they're another story.

Here's a link to a short review of my Last Fantasy trip in a powerchair http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1883959

Edited by hn7609

MDR seems easiest for those in power chairs when their group is seated near the door, avoiding the obstacle course through the middle of the room.

One gentleman on our last cruise crashed through like a bull in a china closet, loudly complaining that he had the right of way. He bumped into chairs, waiters, guests and service islands with no regard for anyone else's safety. Sigh. People were trying to be gracious...

A call to the hostess station an hour or so before dinner (rather than in the middle of the rush) is more likely to ensure a table where you can safely glide into position and still enjoy the view. I'd also recommend a set dining time rather than my time... so that you and your chair are expected.

My dad sailed with us in July aboard the Fantasy and he did quite well with the rental scooter we got him from Herbert's Mobility there in Charleston. They delivered, then picked up the scooter. The only issue we had was that he HAD to keep the scooter inside his cabin. He could not leave it outside the cabin at night. But this wasn't a problem at all. He said the scooter was a life saver, as the walking would have been very difficult for him.

:cool: Bill