Sunday church

NancyL2

I probably should not say this publicly, but as a rather committed Eastern Orthodox, I feel compelled to say it to YOU, the OP:

Be careful. Not all of these Catholic priests are legit in the sense that some of them have been defrocked, or are not in communion with your Church (i.e. sedevacantists, "Latin Rite" schismatics, etc.) . This was a rather huge scandal a few years ago and to my knowledge it hasn't really changed, and ALL of the cruise lines used to keep it rather hush-hush.

On HAL, these priests ARE legit ---they are screened by an org called Apostleship of the Sea, which is approved by the Vatican .

I don't know if NCL screens them or not....I am EO, so do not attend RC mass either on land or onboard. But I have been cruising a lonnnnngggggggggg time, and I can tell you that such "priests" have been caught out on board RCI and Carnival in the past

You will find more info in this article: be sure to read all the comments, so you will understand the scandals I am talking about.

http://***************/two-recent-developements-in-regards-to-catholics-priests-serving-on-cruise-ships/

God sail with you....I hope you enjoy your cruise and that if there is a priest onboard to serve you, that he serves you well and properly, in accordance with your faith. God bless you.

Edited by artist47

Thank you for that info...never even gave it a second thought it maybe a defrocked priest.

I would have liked to have read the article but the link is bad.

Sorry Nancy..I'm not sure why..maybe cause I have less than a hundred posts or something...in any case, my advice, even though it wasn't asked for (forgive me for being so outspoken but this is important!) --- call NCL and ask them directly. Also ask them if they DO have a priest onboard, if that priest is approved by Apostleship of the Sea...run a google search on them so you can visit their site and understand what I'm talking about...it's important for those of us who are committed to our faith, to be vigilant....

God bless you and I hope it works out well...if nothing else, don't forget you can attend mass at your ports of call at local churches...that's what I have done in the past.

And, since we have this saint in common, may St. Nicholas, patron of all who sail the sea, be with you!!! :)

Thank you for that info...never even gave it a second thought it maybe a defrocked priest.

I would have liked to have read the article but the link is bad.

Google Two Recent developments in regards to Catholic Priests serving on cruise ships and you will find the article. It's on another cruise blog. That's why the name is starred out.

Google Two Recent developments in regards to Catholic Priests serving on cruise ships and you will find the article. It's on another cruise blog. That's why the name is starred out.

Thank you...I'm sorry if I broke a rule....edit feature timed out so I couldn't delete it...so very sorry.

my bad!!!!

Edited by artist47

Just Curious does it really matter who is holding mass As long as they are speaking from the heart and from the bible.. Doesnt really matter to me.. If God chooses to touch someones heart and to speak that all that matters..

Just Curious does it really matter who is holding mass As long as they are speaking from the heart and from the bible.. Doesnt really matter to me.. If God chooses to touch someones heart and to speak that all that matters..

Theologically speaking, for the comitted and devout Catholic, yes, it matters. If it doesn't matter to you, that's not the point. That's between you, your priest and God. But the short answer is: YES. It matters. End of discussion.

Edited by artist47

All that really matters is that the person who is attending the service is devout and sincere in their heart.

Remember many times what others will tell you is "Man's Law" and not God's law.

It would not bother me in least to attend a service conducted by a former priest.

The Jewel has a chapel. NCL does not have priests/preachers or any sponsored church services. If a priest is traveling as a guest and offers to conduct services, NCL will publish the time and location. It is open to all. They will also make the same offer to any other denomination that asks.

I am now officially regretting saying anything. LOL.

I'm not sorry for stating the truth. But I am sorry if this is developing into a debate that was never intended.:rolleyes:

Please don't feel badly for answering my question...your answer has helped me a lot and I appreciate that you took the time to answer.

I love the quote in you signature. :)

We were on board the Jewel over Christmas. Someone in our CC M&G asked if there were going to be a Christmas or Christmas Eve service. The HD said that unless someone volunteered to lead one, no. I volunteered my DH. He's been ordained by a reformed Jewish rabbi (so he could teach at their temple) and we are Christian. So he led a non-denominational service that included communion and the Christmas Story read from Luke.

Theologically speaking, for the comitted and devout Catholic, yes, it matters. If it doesn't matter to you, that's not the point. That's between you, your priest and God. But the short answer is: YES. It matters. End of discussion.

Sorry wasn't trying to start anything

To me it's more about the message than the messenger .. A priest, preacher, minister, rabbi, the pope are all just men or woman

Although I have often heard that a priest will lead Mass if traveling with the ship, I have never actually been on one that had one. (I am not RC, but my traveling companions often are.) We were on the Jewel in 2012 during Holy Week and no priest, but the dailies listed "Pray the rosary with your fellow guests" in the chapel in the morning. My cabin mate attended every morning.

Actually, I take back that I have never heard of an RC priest on board a ship. I am Episcopalian and about 10 years ago, on the Celebrity Mediterranean cruise I think, I was wearing my t-shirt that says "A woman's place is in the House of Bishops". A lady came up to me and said that she was traveling with her brother, an RC priest, and she sincerely hoped he saw my shirt. LOL. But I never saw him!

happy cruising,

el henry