Bannister island on HGTV

TeresaJ

Today I saw a show called Island Hunters on HGTV and the couple bought Bannister island in Belize for 2.5M.

We went there on an excursion in Feb. 2012 and had a great day. It was neat to see this on tv. I am curious if they will have cruise excursion visitors there in the future.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Forums mobile app

You bet...in fact their website lists a cruise ship schedule. If I read it correctly, they have an excursion which you book through Carnival and they pick you up from your ship, no need to tender into the Tourism Village and then water taxi to the island. No such mention of Royal Caribbean or any other cruise line, though. I was hoping for it since we are going on Navigator of the Seas the last week of February and still haven't decided what to do there.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
I've sent 2 emails & also got them returned. I wonder if since someone bought the island they are no longer offering it to the public?

I really need to find something for my 8 and 6 year old grandchildren

Is it offered by your cruise ship as an excursion? That's how we did it. We normally don't book ship excursions, but it just made since to book it this time around because of the fact that this is a tender port. We didn't want to have to tender over to the port, then get on another boat to go over to Bannister. When you use the ship excursion, they pick you right up from the ship and take you straight to Bannister (and then back again with the option to get dropped off at the port if you want to do some shopping before returning to the ship). :)

the most recent review of this excursion 'Belizian Beach Break' through Carnival claims they did not go to Banister Island as depicted in the picture (nowhere do I see Carnival stating the excursion goes to Banister Island) so not sure what to think….

Today I saw a show called Island Hunters on HGTV and the couple bought Bannister island in Belize for 2.5M.

We went there on an excursion in Feb. 2012 and had a great day. It was neat to see this on tv. I am curious if they will have cruise excursion visitors there in the future.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Forums mobile app

I was reading my tv listing for hgtv for tonight. There's going to be an episode at 9pm & 12 am about someone wanting to buy an island off Belize & build a resort on it. Not sure if this is the same island that was bought, but I'm going to tape it & some other episodes to watch at a later date.

It's showing now on HGTV in our area. Buildings on Bannister island look like been let to run down previously. But they're putting a lot of work into it. Given the episode is #3 and in 2014, I'd say the filming was done in the fall of 2013. So maybe the island was between owners when others tried to get to here. They also show several scenes at Cucumber Beach which is on the mainland about 20 minutes taxi from the tender pier and where the husband had his charter business.

I got the impression watching the show that they had some very definite plans that didn't include cruise passengers.

You could be correct. It did seem like he wanted to buy an island for their charter guests. And a nice beach would be an attraction.

• 5 weeks later...

Just returned from a cruise on the Norwegian Pearl a few days ago and our snorkel and beach break excursion stopped at Bannister Island. So I guess some tours are still going there. It was amazing but very windy.

• 1 month later...

When we went on our March cruise to Belize, I asked our guides about the sale and the tv show. Although we didn't go to bannister, the boat we were on went past it and he pointed out to me. Apparently, our guide was the guide for the tv show and took them around via boat. He said it was staged, and that couple did not actually buy the island. I think he said it was is for sale though.

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app

Edited bc of autocorrect ;)

Edited by Angela61280