table for 2 at traditional dining

surrocruiser

Rachel,

I can't answer specifically for the Caribbean Princess, but on our recent Royal Princess cruise, the requests for a table for 2 were processed strictly on a first-come basis. We were told by the Maitre D' that the cutoff was 15 months prior to our cruise (ours were in long before that). There was a couple in front of us trying to get changed to a table for two. "But we're Elite members....". It didn't work.

The farther in advance you are, the better your chances.

Jim

Put in your request now. A week or two leter, call the 800 number and confirm with customer service that your request is submitted.

When you board the ship, go right away to teh restaurant maitre'd and ask very nicely for a table for two, explaining that you are really looking forward to all the time together to spend alone and connect (even if it's not true ;-).

They will probably comply. If they can't comply at the time, as the maitre'd if it would be okay to check with him again the next day to see if anything has changed so you can be acccommodated.

Good luck.

We are booked on the Caribbean Princess and were told there was no way to guarantee a table for 2 but they would put in the request. Any one have any insight as to how likely I am to receive my request?

Rachel,

If you are unable to get a table for two in traditional, you might feel better about doing "anytime" dining. DH and I have been on four Princess cruises, have always done "anytime." We've always been seated promptly at a table for two at just about any time we arrived in the dining room. On some occasions we have made reservations at the same time each night, sometimes same waitstaff/table. More often than not, we wing it and get a nice, romantic table for two.

We enjoy meeting others at breakfast in the dining room or afternoon tea, but we prefer to dine just the two of us.

Bon Voyage!

Chris

If you don't get a table for 2 then I think a table for 8 would be better than a table for 4. More than likely you will be seated with other couples, or at least with more than one group. With a table for eight you have a better chance of find something in common with at least one of the groups and the "workload" of making entertaining conversation can be share among more groups. If it is just you and one other couple at a 4 top, it can become uncomfortable if you don't have much in common with the other couple.

Just back from the Grand and there are no tables for 2 in traditional dining. We were told if you want a table for 2 to go to Pc dining. We were on an OS and they actually found us a table for 2 (actually 4) once they saw the cabin we had

Tom

I agree with the others that are saying the earlier the request for a table for 2 the better. We have reservations for 2 cruises coming up and have requested a table for 2. In both cases we were booking early and were told the exact number of people in front of us that had also requested tables for two ( we book with Princess). My only fear is another table for 4.....that was a disaster for us. I would prefer a table for 8 or 10 over another table for 4 any day. I was told by princess that passengers in premium suites ( not mini-suites) will get their first choices in dining.

We have been on 24 Princess cruises; never not had a table for two. Yes, on the Grand Class ships, traditional dining does not have tables for two. However, go to the Maitre D' and ask for a Table for 2 in PC. Have never been denied no matter what cabin we have booked. Granted, sometimes they go through the motions of "I'm not sure we can accomodate you", but it has always worked out!! (Plus the tip is at the end...never up front!) Good Luck!!!

I have always requested a late sitting table for 2 in main dining room. Only had a problem once when we went to special DR on the first night and they reassigned the table. The second night I was firm w/ maitre D and after a short wait they found us a table for 2.

Often they put the 2's near kitchen entrances of in busy corridors.

I have always requested a late sitting table for 2 in main dining room. Only had a problem once when we went to special DR on the first night and they reassigned the table. The second night I was firm w/ maitre D and after a short wait they found us a table for 2.

Often they put the 2's near kitchen entrances or in busy corridors.

We have been on 24 Princess cruises; never not had a table for two. Yes, on the Grand Class ships, traditional dining does not have tables for two. However, go to the Maitre D' and ask for a Table for 2 in PC. Have never been denied no matter what cabin we have booked. Granted, sometimes they go through the motions of "I'm not sure we can accomodate you", but it has always worked out!! (Plus the tip is at the end...never up front!) Good Luck!!!

I forgot to add that in when we have to go to PC, we always get the same table/same waiters for the entire cruise. Sometimes we find that that table is set for 2 for the whole evening and that we can wander in any time we want!!

Like others have mentioned, I recommend Personal Choice dining...

My DH and I have always been able to get a table for 2, with hardly any wait at all!

I agree. It is very easy to get tables for 2 in the PC dining room. My BF and I do it all the time

Before Personal Choice, we always requested a table for two in traditional but never received it. There are very few tables for two in traditional dining. We were always seated at a table for four and when you have nothing in common with the other couple, it can be difficult. We jumped at Personal Choice Dining for this very reason. We always dine at a table for two in PC. Make sure you specify that you want a table for two ONLY or they might try to seat you with another couple.

We have cruised many times before and have shared tables for 4, 8, and 10. Although we have enjoyed meeting other people, we really cherish our one-on-one dining time. Princess cruises affords us that opportunity through their PC dining option. We are so spoiled by this feature, it makes it hard to consider other lines. Whatever you decide, have a wonderful cruise.

Personally, I think tables for 8 or 10 make intelligent conversation difficult.

We prefer round tables for six - you can carry on good discussions without shouting, and all can participate in said discussion. If you swap seats nightly or every other night, you really get to know your tablemates.

• 4 weeks later...

We were on the Royal to Scandinavia several years ago. We had a table for 4, but right next to us was a couple who had rerquested a table for 2. There might, at a stretch, have been 6 inches seperating them from our table, so, to all intents and purposes, we were a table for 6. Fine with me, but they were disgruntled, to say the least.

Archived