CARIBBEAN PRINCESS Jan 11 2014-Photo and video review

Bimmer09

I think I can have this wrapped up by then! I wish I could just blast away with a deluge of photos but the "story" (ha!) has to be told as it happened, as it unfolded.

I will explain the 3 cameras as I go along.

Norris

Looking forward to hearing about the cameras. My Sony CX430 should be here tomorrow. Picked up a Nikon 510 for our cruise last July.

RM275

As I sat by the pool I logged into CC on my phone and saw a post about Norovirus on the CB and reference to an e mail from Princess. I opened my e mail and there was an advisory telling me not to board until 2 pm. Bummer!!

I had to tell Carol of course and she took it on the chin. However her oldest friend Cindy had decided after seeing a Facebook post from Carol re the cruise that she would love to take her first cruise with us as her guides and she booked the CB 3 weeks from sailing. I recommended E 733 as she wanted a suite. She had had an awful year including the passing of both parents. We immediately thought of her and how this might impact her perception of cruising. She was flying down the day of sailing-tomorrow.

Being January night had fallen around 5 pm.

Jesse dropped us off at Perry's at 8 and we were seated in a booth in a room that was alive with happy diners.

IMAGE_2.jpg

The waiter was the bright eyed and bushy-tailed (some squirrel ancestry perhaps) Marcus who was on his game. A Mohito was summoned from the bar and was soon dispatched...

IMAGE_3.jpg

We ordered some seared meats and appetizers. Carol was excited when a patron came in wearing a stetson (first sighting). Checked shirt, clean jeans and yes-beautiful leather boots. Yee-haw! We were in Texas for sure dadgummit!

Even in casual clothes these folks dress well.

I was excited (and curious) when this thing appeared on the table. I had ordered the crab cakes...

IMG_0971.JPG

The bird's nest thing was amazingly thinly sliced deep-friend onion straws. Under it were crab cakes. I gave Carol a sampling. That's the best crab cake ever! she said. I took a bite. Agreed, no doubt, said I. No filler! Just big chunks of delicious crab. I should have ordered 3 of them. I will next time as I will drive out of my way to eat here, noisy room or no.

The Mohito was gone and a glass of Malbec red wine was procured for me. I sip wine but I guzzle Mohitos and things like Guinness as I am from N. Ireland.

More food came...

Filet o beef (medium) and a lobster tail (King of Crustaceans but the crab ain't far behind) with grilled asparagus for me.

IMAGE_4.jpg

Carol had a filet and lump crab with creamed spinach. It appears in the video portion of our meal but not in a photo- I am juggling multi-media and eating like a starved jackal....it's all too much!

We were drooling and wiping our mouths with the napkins and then sucking the stains from the napkins as the food was DEEE-LISHUS!!

Care for a dessert?? Hell yeah Einstein!

For madame-the deconstructed lemon meringue pie.

IMAGE_6.jpg

And for messieur...a favorite of mine....Bananas Foster! Yay! Cooked table side! Yippee! I videotaped the presentation just before the restaurant caught fire.

I licked the bowl...

IMAGE_7.jpg

The meal was outstanding as was the service and we were picked up at the front door by Jesse and were soon in the Hilton, sleeping like babes.

In the morning we would check out of the Hilton Hotel and into the Caribbean Princess Hotel, 2 hours later than expected.

Norris, hungry for crab

I woke at 7 a.m and looking out the window saw some fog but by the time I had showered and dressed it had lifted. At 7.30 I was by the pool with a coffee and cigarette enjoying the newly arrived sun.

IMAGE_8.jpg

IMG_0973.JPG

IMG_0974.JPG

Checking the Cruisecam app on my phone to see if the CB was docked I saw that she was still en route to Houston. She usually docks by 7 a.m

Carol joined me

IMG_0975.JPG

and after sitting in the sun for a while we decided to take advantage of the buffet breakfast coupons the hotel had given us. Carol is not a buffet fan so after looking at the offerings decided we should order off the menu.

When we went back up to the room I looked out the window and saw in the distance a huge white shape. I got my binoculars to confirm it was the CB. Moving slowly. It would be an hour before she stopped. It was about 11 a.m

and we had to go drop off the rental car at an HLE (Hertz Local Edition) which closed at noon.

IMG_0976.JPG

The ship docked at Bayport Terminal, taken from our hotel.

2 p.m boarding seemed very unlikely....

Norris

Norris,

DW and I always enjoy your reviews and photos. Was the picture of the CB taken from your hotel room taken as you see it or was it taken with a special setting on your camera? We live in the area and did not realize you can see the Bayport terminal that closely when you are above ground level.

Glad you enjoyed your dinner at Perry's. It is one of favorite restaurants. Did you know they now have a Chicago location?

Carol was excited when a patron came in wearing a stetson (first sighting). Checked shirt, clean jeans and yes-beautiful leather boots. Yee-haw! We were in Texas for sure dadgummit!

Even in casual clothes these folks dress well.

That, my friend, was one of the Russian Cosmonauts in training at NASA.

The Cowboy was the gent in a polo shirt and an AC/DC baseball cap, which he removed upon coming indoors.

Rick

Enjoying your very thoughtful and well documented review, thanks! I am also glad that the Texans you met so far in the story have represented us well and that you made such a fine choice for dining at Perry's.

Looking forward to hearing the story continue to unfold as we approach our cruise on CB in about 3 weeks.

<<DW and I always enjoy your reviews and photos. Was the picture of the CB taken from your hotel room taken as you see it or was it taken with a special setting on your camera? We live in the area and did not realize you can see the Bayport terminal that closely when you are above ground level.>>

Photo of ship in Bayport was taken with the zoom lens. I think I took it from the hotel window 12 floors up. It was about 8 miles away, I think, by road-but as the crow (pelican) flies somewhat less.

Yes-Perry's was a good experience for us. Cost was $200 incl. a good tip for great service. Jazz trio was also a nice touch. We hadn't eaten in 10 hours so the plates were licked clean. Next time we will stay downtown in Houston as we loved that experience after the cruise but Perry's would be worth the drive if the roads were clear.

Norris

Yes I know that Perry's now have a "Chicago" location but it is Oakbrook about 20 miles west of the city. If they had a downtown location they would have a lot of competition from the many famous steakhouses here.

Norris, Ruth's Chris fan as I like a steak that comes to the table spitting hot butter in my face.

Man, I am going to be onboard the CB before you even get onboard the CB in your review which is a bit disappointing because I would love to see you pictures and read the rest of your review. Been cracking up as I read.

Of course, it's not disappointing enough for me to postpone my departure! I'll just have look forward to reading the rest of your review when I get back!

We left the Hilton to return the car to Hertz at their HLE office on Gulf Freeway in League City and while there the cab that the hotel had arranged for us pulled up and we were off to the ship! Exciting.

We had to stop at a Walgreens for some Clorox wipes (Carol) to wipe down the cabin surfaces (especially the phone) and I needed sunglasses.

Getting closer....

IMAGE_12.jpg

Meantime I had got another e mail from Princess telling us that because of the Norovirus scrub-down AND the late arrival due to fog that Embarkation would happen at 5.30 pm (in the dark)

There was a Police checkpoint at a fork in the road out in Industrial wasteland.

At this fork they could allow taxis and buses through but detour private cars to a holding area until later-to help minimize crowding at the Terminal building.

We were let through and our luggage was taken (gave $5 tip to insure against accidental dropping in the harbor) and we entered the building through the Preferred Line (we were now Platinum and sailing in a suite). We went through the security scanners (removing all metal incl belts and jackets) and found our way to one of two Preferred lounges. There weren't any refreshments as we usually find in Port Everglades but there were vending machines.

IMAGE_13.jpg

People were still coming off the ship and this would continue until 3.30 pm. None of them were particularly tanned as they had some poor weather on their sailing.

There were a number of blind passengers I noticed, being helped by caring staff or family and friends-very heartwarming to see that they were being helped. One gentleman even had a seeing-eye dog but I don't know if that could have sailed with him.

They announced inside, when we were getting our cruise cards that buses would be running to Kemah for those that didn't want to sit and wait. Lines formed outside to take advantage of this but I later spoke to a lady who gave up after standing in line for two hours to get on a bus. Next time Princess -have some more buses standing by. I salute PCL for trying but this unplanned expenditure (plus free glasses of wine on board on the first night-which I wasn't offered by the way in Sabatini's...not complaining, just observing) all eats into the bottom line profits for this cruise)

We were happy to wait in big comfy chairs rather than trek to Kemah only to have to line up for a bus back plus we had our carry-on luggage with us. No one could leave their bags behind as there is nowhere to secure them. Carol found a power outlet and we had wi-fi so she was happy with her Kindle and i Phone. I spent most of my time outside in the sunshine admiring the ship.

IMAGE_14.jpg

IMG_0978.JPG

The most important part of the ship for us, where we live-the ass, or aft to be nautical. Security fences prevented me from getting right behind the ship for a better look.

IMG_0979.JPG

I had gone outside after having to scold a man who was watching an Episode of Downton Abbey (which I enjoy) on his iPad with the speakers still turned on, thus ruining the restful peace of the waiting room. I was a bit aggressive with him which I regret now. Then a few minutes later some guy pulled out a ukelele

and began vigorously strumming some hula-skirt music. Really people? Isn't there a time and place (concrete bunker 30 ft underground or on a beach in Hawaii) for that sort of thing? I left the room in disgust and spared us all an incident of ukelele smashing.

Outside all was calm. The clock was ticking by steadily until at 5.15 Priority Boarding began. The general boarding group had many people sitting on the floor as all the seats had been taken. Latecomers had been ushered to a huge tent on the dock.

We stopped for the boarding photo and then were on the escalators up to the gangway. Photo taken by security and we were on board and free to roam!

We sprang into action with our plan. Carol's mission was to go to Passenger services to put my name on the UST sign-up (Ultimate Ship's Tour) while I ran hotfoot( via the forward elevators away from the masses) and bounded up the stairs to sign up for a week in the Sanctuary. I was first one there only to find that the staff had gone for the day. Really? You board me late and don't keep one person there to sign-up people willing to spend $210 for two loungers for the week? Others arrived behind me and expressed similar surprise. Oh, well. I would come back in the morning. Carol had got my name first on the list for the UST so that was a consolation.

I immediately got my cruise under way with a stop at the Tradewinds bar as it was on the way down from the Sanctuary, therefore forcing me to have a refreshing Beck's beer. I picked up my first Clean Sweeps card which might have my bar bill paid by Princess on the last sea day. You've got to be in it to win it!

The beer had a 50 cents port tax added by the way,

This is the smoking corner of the Tradewinds where I spent some quality time meeting new friends during the week. It is sheltered from the wind of which there was a good supply on this voyage, especially in the mornings.

IMG_0984.JPG

Now it was time to go to the cabin and unpack. On the way there I stopped at Sabatini's to make a booking for 5: Carol and I, Cindy and her son Daniel (26) and daughter Alice(22) who were along for their first cruise experience. Alice shared the suite with her mom and Daniel had an OV on Emerald, looking out on a lifeboat.

Muster drill was announced for 8p.m so I figured 9.30 would be a good time to dine, after the drill and sail away.

Next up...sailaway!

Norris

Just wanted to chime in here about Texans. Naturally when you travel most of the people you encounter are in the hospitality or tourism business and are, in a sense, "paid" to be nice to you. But on this trip the ship was full of " regular" Texans because it is a "drive to" port and I found them to be uniformly cheerful, agreeable, positive, helpful, good natured, and eager to have a good time without being rowdy. In addition, the Houston opera audience (you will hear about this much later) with only a couple of exceptions was quiet and attentive throughout a lengthy, difficult, unfamiliar modern opera and clearly are accustomed to and worthy of the high standards of the HGO. After this first visit I am now a fan of The Lone Star State.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

This was the line of cars that were released from the holding area so that they could finally join the ship.

IMG_0983.JPG

We met up with Cindy and Alice in Club Fusion for our Muster drill and afterwards went our separate ways for sail away. We were going to enjoy that from our aft balcony. They had had fun at the airport as the airline had lost their luggage-oh no-wait! We've found it ma'am! It will be on the next plane from Chicago...

Rough start to their first cruise.

Lines were cast off. Thrusters hummed. Our room steward Miguel, from Goa, India brought us two small bottles of Korbel champagne and we toasted to a happy cruise. Slowly we moved away from the quay....

IMG_0987.JPG

Close behind us was some shallow water and tall posts sticking up to show the safe boundaries. It was tight so we were aided by Lemar, a friendly tug who helped push us out of harm's way. He was right under our balcony.

IMG_0990.JPG

Lamar was lashed to us as an extra set of brakes and was able to stay right with us to give us a push to one side when needed.

IMG_0992.JPG

IMG_0993.JPG

IMG_0996.JPG

I have to say that when I heard we would leave late I lamented the fact that I wouldn't get the ship shots of all the many vessels docked in Houston along our exit path to the open sea. Boat nerd. Unashamedly. Maybe some other day as I have no qualms about sailing from Houston again.

We are sailing. The ship is alive with people. Open seating was the order of the day in the MDRs. We had Sabatini's to look forward to and 5 of us sat down to dinner at 9.30. As suite passengers we and Cindy/Alice had dinner on the House while Daniel had to pay the $25 surcharge. Wine was ordered, toasts were drank and amid the excited babble choices were made and mouths were allowed to water. Carol and I hadn't eaten since about 9.am - unless you count the bag of Doritos I had in the waiting room. I took some food shots with the Canon DSLR.

Alice (L) and Carol

IMG_0998.JPG

Daniel and Cindy

IMG_1008.JPG

My appetizer-Vitello di Tonnato...veal carpaccio with seared Ahi Tuna.

IMG_0999.JPG

The Princess wine list has changed as I ordered my usual bottle of Santa Margherita Pinot Grigio only to find it is off the list and the waiter suggested a bottle of Danzante which he told me was cheaper. I bought it anyway but missed the silky smoothness of my erstwhile choice.

Two orders of Branzino (Salt-baked striped Sea Bass) were next brought to the table and each had a waiter to release the fish from it's salty tomb.

IMG_1003.JPG

For dessert I had the Semi-freddo thing I usually have

IMG_1006.JPG

while others had the delicious Espresso Creme Brûlée.

IMG_1007.JPG

As always, a delicious start to our week at sea. We were finished by 11 p.m

After dinner it was stroll the Promenade deck time and enjoy a cigarette there.

It's a narrow deck, unlike my favorite ship the Diamond (Coral too) but it was a popular place day and night for strolling and leaning over the rail as close to the sea as you can get on such a tall ship.

The evening was rounded off with a beer and some canapés on our balcony.

I set the automatic phone alarm to 5 a.m so I could be up before the sun and take his picture. I like being up early as a rule.

We turned the lights out at midnight so I had 5 great hours of deep deep sleep lulled there by the dinner and the sound of the rushing wake...

Next up- daylight! Our first sea day. Sunday January 12th.

Due to the delays in Bayport the Captain had juggled our schedule somewhat so that instead of Coz, Bel and Roa it was now Roatan, Belize and Cozumel with the two sea days at the beginning rather than the end. Fine by me Cap'n!

The phone alarm went off at 5.00 a.m. I answered and hung up.

It rang again at 5.01, 02 and 03 unit I finally figured how to silence it by dialing 9999. Pulling it from the wall and tossing it over the balcony works too.

With a suite you have a curtain to separate the living room from the bedroom, this way one can dress in one with the lights on while the other sleeps in crypt-like darkness. The bathroom also has an entrance from each room so I can easily shower and dress without disturbing "the One who must NOT be disturbed" and within 20 minutes am out the door with a bag of cameras to greet the day.

This is the long corridor on Caribe deck.

IMG_1009.JPG

Blue-border carpet = Starboard (the side nearest the stars) on ships clever enough to have this. Red border carpet means you are on Port side (nearest to the next port). I think I have explained that pretty well.

IMG_1010.JPG

My normal route is to the aft elevators and up to Horizon Court buffet on deck 15 where I usually have breakfast number 1 of the day but on this voyage with Noro a concern more than usual the buffet had servers to dole out the number of slices of bacon (for instance) that you require (in my case 24 usually) and that didn't sit well with my improvisatory nature so I just got coffee there each morning. I couldn't help myself as the coffee had to be served by crew but at least it was a one minute transaction not requiring a lot of chat. It's coffee syrup I know but at 5 a.m it tastes good enough. Vishnu from India soon knew exactly how I like my coffee (best described as "tasting something like real coffee") The Viennese among you should know what I mean when I say "coffee".

Coffee and a cigarette up by Tradewinds or aft under Skywalkers was my usual start to the day. I was ready for any sun rises. I also met many early risers who would stop for a chat.

IMG_1012.JPG

IMG_1014.JPG

IMG_1017.JPG

Thanks for the great review so far, what time did you finish your meal @ Sabatini's? You had a long first day

Meal lasted from 9.30 to 11pm. I think it had been a long day for the waiters too as they were involved in the scrub down. When I spoke to my steward Miguel at 9 pm he hadn't had "lunch" yet and his shift was about to end. Very hard on the crew who need a rest, especially on Turnaround day. My steward had 18 cabins, 2 of which were suites which are really two cabins each but including bathtubs too.

Norris

We had company out at sea...

IMG_1018.JPG

IMG_1020.JPG

IMG_1022.JPG

The deck crew in their blue overalls are up and squeegying the decks and cleaning the pools. Pop music is playing over the speakers on deck at 5.30 am but no one is dancing. The deck lights are still on until sunrise. After the deck crew comes the deck staff in their khaki shorts and white tee shirts. They use dollies to move the stacks of blue and white chairs to the appropriate sun-worshipping positions. Passengers start to show up after 6 a.m with coffees in hand or plates of food. I go back into the buffet for a refill of Jo. Servers are putting pats of butter on waffles that a customer is holding before moving on to meet the syrup guy. Purell is at all entrances.

On Dr. Carol's orders I soap my hands with Zylast a proven germ fighter before leaving the room. It lasts for 6 hours apparently.

The public bathroom doors had signs advising you to open them as you leave with a paper towel and there were bins by the door for the used towels. The bathrooms are cleaned hourly.

Sea air that early in the morning is invigorating, like breathing champagne. 100 million seagulls can't be wrong!

At 7.50 a.m I was at the Sanctuary choosing 2 prime loungers for the week. First name on the list. Port side # 35 and 36 and thenceforth they were waiting for us from 8 a.m to 5.30 p.m.

IMG_1030.JPG

IMG_1031.JPG

IMG_1033.JPG

I went back to the cabin and pulled together a bag of laundry (free to suites)-just the things I wore on Friday and Saturday.

One of the best suite perks is exclusive use of Sabatini's for breakfast. The MDR serves up fine breakfasts but if you have a quieter option like Sabatini's with it's own menu but an ability to order anything from any kitchen on the ship it's unbeatable as a soothing way to start your day.

IMG_1348.JPG

IMG_1353.JPG

IMG_1354.JPG

On this ship, as on the Diamond, there are only a couple of windows in Sab's as she is on deck 7, unlike the expanse of windows on the Crown and Ruby where it is on deck 16 if I recall. There is also no fountain outside the window as it would soak the Promenaders.

IMG_1355.JPG

Carol and I met up at Sabatini's for breakfast which always starts with something made by this beautiful piece of machinery...

IMG_1356.JPG

This is what makes our double cappuccinos

IMG_1036.JPG

Carol and I usually start with this Granola Parfait

IMG_1037.JPG

For her the waffles

IMG_1038.JPG

And me-bacon and eggs

IMG_1039.JPG

Hmmm...making my self hungry here. I am going to take a break for a while to look at the video I shot-as yet unseen, to see what I should upload for a future post.

Back later!

Norris

Thank you for posting this. My mom and I are going for spring break. Is it easy to get to the terminal? How is parking and embarkation? Also, do they have coffee makers in the room?

No coffee makers in the room.

Easy to get to the terminal by taxi. No public transportation option. Parking is ample as the lot is huge. It's a flat outdoor lot as you'll see in the photos.

I've only experienced one embarkation which I have explained here.

I would sail from Bayport again and take my chances. I was inconvenienced but then I am fit and healthy and carry plenty to amuse me. It was 5 hours of waiting but hardly an ordeal or a "nightmare" and far from "the cruise from hell".

Keeping things in perspective I had a really enjoyable week, worth every dollar spent.

But that will all become apparent as you read on....