Does QM2 have helipad, etc. for Medical Emergencies?

dtwtraveler

Does anyone know if the QM2 has a helipad, defibrillators, EKG machines, etc., for someone with heart problem symptoms? I've read that some lines have more sophisticated equipment than others. I'm hoping that the QM2 is new enough to have updated equipment. My husband carries a recent EKG with him.

Also, does anyone know where a person on a Caribbean cruise might be sent? Will the patient be able to be flown to the US if they have enough evacuation insurance coverage?

Howard is absolutely correct in that she has a helipad, and I can personally confirm that he walked across it yesterday (I probably even have a photo of him doing it) ;) .

But seriously, while this is straying somewhat from the "medical" topic, QM2 must have one of the very few teak helipads at land or at sea!

Most policies these days cover you for £1,000,000 ($2,000,000?) medical expenses - but you can be sure they don't want to cough up.

Taking out a policy where there is a known risk means that you have to declare that risk - otherwise should they find out that you had reasonable cause to believe that there was a risk and did not declare it, then they will duck the cover.

$2,000,000 buys a heli ride anywhere in the world - plus medical repatriation anywhere.

I *beleive* that modern ships medical facilities carry the usual resus equipment (including drugs), but it'll never be as comprehensive as on land where they can do x-rays, full blood tests, CT scans etc etc.

Contrary to the above answers, QM2 does NOT have a heli-pad. On deck 13 there is a large painted circle around the words "LOW HOVER".

Maybe the deck isn't strong enough to take the weight? Does anyone know the definition of "LOW"? If it means six inches it should have no affect on the patient. If it means twenty feet that would involve winching the patient up to the helicopter.

Contrary to the above answers, QM2 does NOT have a heli-pad. On deck 13 there is a large painted circle around the words "LOW HOVER".

Maybe the deck isn't strong enough to take the weight? Does anyone know the definition of "LOW"? If it means six inches it should have no affect on the patient. If it means twenty feet that would involve winching the patient up to the helicopter.

Take a look at the home page for "cruisecritic". There is a section about available helipads and health facilities on the various cruise lines and ships. The "LOW HOVER" is mentioned there. I think it means that they must "hover" above the ship, and the patient is loaded in some sort of basket, and lifted into the helicopter. I didn't get the impression that it's just a few inches. My inlaws saw this happen on a cruise ship. The sick passenger was unconscious, but the healthy spouse was terrified! Maybe they can knockout out the healthy spouse/friend on the QM2 for the trip in the basket!

Most policies these days cover you for £1,000,000 ($2,000,000?) medical expenses - but you can be sure they don't want to cough up.

Taking out a policy where there is a known risk means that you have to declare that risk - otherwise should they find out that you had reasonable cause to believe that there was a risk and did not declare it, then they will duck the cover.

$2,000,000 buys a heli ride anywhere in the world - plus medical repatriation anywhere.

I *beleive* that modern ships medical facilities carry the usual resus equipment (including drugs), but it'll never be as comprehensive as on land where they can do x-rays, full blood tests, CT scans etc etc.

First, $2,000,000 coverage isn't the norm. In fact many insurance coverages can't be purchased for that many $$. Also, you can purchase a separate coverage just for medical evacuation.

Second, quite a few companies offer a waiver of pre-existing conditions if you purchase them usually within 7-14 days of the first deposit on the cruise. This means that if you find out within a short pre-ordained period before your trip that you should not travel, because of your new medical condition, that you will be insured irregardless of your decision to travel against a doctor's orders. Irregardless of the pre-existing medical condition coverage, if you have a condition that was controlled by medicine, etc. when you signed up for the insurance, they will cover you on your trip. There's a site that lets you compare insurance coverages and prices from many available companies. It might be called "insuremytrip.com". I think that the best coverage is the one that allows for a large lump sum to be used for medical, dental, and evacuation. This is better than three separate amounts, because you might need more for one category than the others.

Third, check out the "cruisecritic" article on the medical facilities on the ships. Many of the ships do not have defibrillators, etc., listed as being available. Also, some have access to sharing actual x-rays, blood tests, etc. with land doctors by sophisticated imaging equipment capabilities. The medical facilities have important variations in services offered according to this article.

Does anyone have any more information on the QM2's health facilities?

Thanks Colin - I stand corrected.

I feel rather silly for having walked across the thing and not bothered to read the words!

QE2 has a real helipad, right?

First, $2,000,000 coverage isn't the norm. In fact many insurance coverages can't be purchased for that many $$. Also, you can purchase a separate coverage just for medical evacuation.

Second, quite a few companies offer a waiver of pre-existing conditions if you purchase them usually within 7-14 days of the first deposit on the cruise. This means that if you find out within a short pre-ordained period before your trip that you should not travel, because of your new medical condition, that you will be insured irregardless of your decision to travel against a doctor's orders. Irregardless of the pre-existing medical condition coverage, if you have a condition that was controlled by medicine, etc. when you signed up for the insurance, they will cover you on your trip. There's a site that lets you compare insurance coverages and prices from many available companies. It might be called "insuremytrip.com". I think that the best coverage is the one that allows for a large lump sum to be used for medical, dental, and evacuation. This is better than three separate amounts, because you might need more for one category than the others.

Third, check out the "cruisecritic" article on the medical facilities on the ships. Many of the ships do not have defibrillators, etc., listed as being available. Also, some have access to sharing actual x-rays, blood tests, etc. with land doctors by sophisticated imaging equipment capabilities. The medical facilities have important variations in services offered according to this article.

Does anyone have any more information on the QM2's health facilities?

Looks to me as if there is a (massive) difference between US and UK insurance practice.

Certainly in the UK it's £1,000,000 - I bought one the other day for a 5 day trip..... and that has £10,000,000.

http://www.norwichunion.com/single-trip-travel-insurance/summary-of-cover.htm

In the UK - as you get a MINIMUM of £1,000,00 for medical - then evac is included by default.

Regarding new conditions developing - indeed, any insurance will cover you once you have taken out a policy. It would be totally unfair to say 'Oops, now that you've developed something, we won't cover you!!!'. Imagine private health cover reneggin at that point!!!

It's mandatory (in the UK) that you declare any pre-existing conditions, as failure to do so may invalidate your insurance. Often, the insurance company asks you to call them and tell them what you are taking, for what, for how long etc etc. Eg. An applicant takes Epilim (Sodium Volproate - used to control Epilepsy). The insurers will ask when you last had an attack and for how long you have been on the treatment. You can be sure that if you say that you have been taking it for 2 years and your last attack was last week - they'll run a mile, but if you said you were diagnosed four years ago and have been on Epilim since without further attack - you're actually a pretty safe person to insure (in that respect).

Regarding a doctor advising a patient not to travel - UK insurance companies would run a mile from providing cover (or as would more likely be the case - payment) if they found out that a person travelled against a doctor's advice. And, in the case of Cunard, where a person is pregnant they must provide written proof that their doctor considers them safe to travel.

In the NU policy I just bought it says:-

------------

The policy excludes:

Medical Expenses claims

-- if you travel against medical advice

-- for a serious, chronic or recurring illness, injury or disease which you have received advice, medication or treatment for in the last 12 months unless disclosed to and accepted by us

-------------------------

With UK insurance companies, in the event that you have to cancel your trip owing to ill health, then the insurance company pays (up to the policy limit) the cost of your trip.

Based on what dtwtraveler says above, there appears to be a lot of difference between US and European policies.

As ever, read the small print before you buy. You can be sure that they'll be reading through the small print to find a way not to cover you (when you come to claim).

> QE2 has a real helipad, right?

On Sun Deck. It tends not to be used as a helipad because it is not suitable for the big helicopeters that tend to be used out at sea (Seaking?). So on QE2 it tends to be a low hover and a winch too. A plane is also used to locate the ship and guide the helicopter. Often the helicopter will be operating at the very edge of its fuel range so needs to complete the rescue and get away quickly. I have never seen it done on QE2 but on QM2 it was interesting to watch.

Best wishes, Stephen.

Hi, guys

To answer your questions re the helipad go to the following link!

http://community.webshots.com/album/147449781OFpXDu

Told you I was obsessed. Three weeks today till I get on the plane from Oz to London and then Southampton!!!!!

Thanks for the pictures of the medevac from the QM2. I hope I'll be unconscious if I'm ever being lifted up to the helicopter!

People on ships don't like helicopters landing on them, most Navy helicopters don't want to put down on hard bits in an emergency. Too much weight, too hard!

Coupled with that, too much highly inflamable fuel.

The usual practice is for the helo to come in and drop a crew member, move clear of the ship, and wait for the crew member to advise them on what is needed. Then it is usually a quick lift in a stretcher.

Good fun by the way!

People on ships don't like helicopters landing on them, most Navy helicopters don't want to put down on hard bits in an emergency. Too much weight, too hard!

Coupled with that, too much highly inflamable fuel.

The usual practice is for the helo to come in and drop a crew member, move clear of the ship, and wait for the crew member to advise them on what is needed. Then it is usually a quick lift in a stretcher.

Good fun by the way!

But not fun if you're afraid of heights! I hope that they'll knock me out if I'm ever in that unhealthy position.:(

HI I just saw this link and it is to our Webshots album. Glad you liked the photos. The details of the rescue are, it was a member of the ships band on one of the last sea days on the 8 day RT out of New York to the Eastern Caribbean. We were about 100 miles off the coast of Norfolk VA. There was a USCG fixed wing plane and the USCG Helicopter. The Helicopter moved over the ship and dropped the medic and basket, than moved off to wait. I am sure the Pilot did not like to be between the forward mast and funnel. The ship did not stop we were doing about 10-15 knots. The Helicopter would than come back over to pick up the patient and move off again while they got the patent secure in the helicopter. They would than move back over the ship and pick up the medic, and were off the ship again even before the medic was back in the helicopter (going from 40 feet above the deck to over 200 feet over the ocean. Not my idea of fun. It was kinda cool to see our tax dollars at work.

Thanks for finding our pictures.

Jack and Craig.

Hi, guys

To answer your questions re the helipad go to the following link!

http://community.webshots.com/album/147449781OFpXDu

Told you I was obsessed. Three weeks today till I get on the plane from Oz to London and then Southampton!!!!!

Not that I am THAT old:eek: , but many years ago, when I was still a kid, I remember seeing a helicopter pick up a sick passenger on the QE2. I would be willing to bet that the helicopter actually landed on deck.....waited a while....then took off again. But maybe that's my mind playing tricks on me.......maybe it just hover. :rolleyes:

Hi, Craig and Jack

Really, really hope that you didn't think that I was taking credit for someone else's pictures. I had the address as a favourite, but could not remember where I had found it. Glad you were able to take credit.

Martin

Hi, Craig and Jack

Really, really hope that you didn't think that I was taking credit for someone else's pictures. I had the address as a favourite, but could not remember where I had found it. Glad you were able to take credit.

Martin

Zipper25, No, we did not think you were taking credit. We just love the internet for stuff like this. I clicked on the link to see what pictures they were, not knowing, and was suprised to recognize the pictures. You are half a world away and find our pictures and reference them. That is really cool. Glad you have the our album as a favorite and we will be adding pictures of our up coming cruise of the Dawn Princess in October so be sure to check those out.

Jack & Craig

FYI - my husband is a cardiologist who toured the medical facilities on board the QM2 during our crossing. It can meet many needs, but there are two days during a transatlantic crossing when the ship is too far from land for folks to be evacuated. Hope this helps!

FYI - my husband is a cardiologist who toured the medical facilities on board the QM2 during our crossing. It can meet many needs, but there are two days during a transatlantic crossing when the ship is too far from land for folks to be evacuated. Hope this helps!

Thanks for your input and info! We'll be on the 12/8 Caribbean Cruise, so hopefully, if we need the services, we won't be too far to return to San Juan or Florida where we'll be able to access a US medical facility. I never thought of this when we went on a transatlantic crossing in 2003! We usually fly & then drive in Europe, so our possible emergency needs are different.

Archived