Will I regret my decision?

4Tacos

We are cruising to St. Thomas in February. We will be in port from 11am-7pm and I think there are 4 ships in port that day (one of them being the Oasis). I am on Carnival Dream. After a lot of research, I had my heart set on Sapphire Beach but then came the announcement earlier this month that there would be no bathrooms while we were there. (Side note: we have 2 children ages 5 & 8) So I decided to change our plans and make the trek to Trunk Bay. (We have never been to St. Thomas or St. John and we love snorkeling.) After reading lots of forums, I have read so many wonderful comments about Sapphire that I'm worried I will regret not going to it. I think we'd have more time if we went to Sapphire but I don't know if I should risk taking kids to a beach that has no bathrooms. I am really struggling with this decision. I have seen pictures and read forums about Trunk Bay and it sounds beautiful but we will have a limited amount of time there. Any suggestions? Any help? Thanks in advance.

I talked with a co-worker today that has been to St Thomas before. She told me about her excursion to Trunk Bay on St. John and said it was absolutely gorgeous. According to her, if you are a snorkeler, the snorkel trail is a lot of fun. She has me convinced that this is the excursion I should take during my upcoming cruise in April. So while I also think Sapphire Beach would be nice, I think we will go to Trunk Bay. I also think the one thing that I have concluded from researching all the possibilities in St Thomas, is that I need to go back there some day for more than just a cruise ship stopover! Good Luck !!

It looks like Sapphire Beach isn't what it used to be. It was only ok when I was there last. Pretty yes, but there isn't anything there.

What about Magen's bay? It's pretty and has great facilities. Less of a trek than Trunk Bay.

Trunk Bay is beautiful and will be fun for your family.

We are cruising to St. Thomas in February. We will be in port from 11am-7pm and I think there are 4 ships in port that day (one of them being the Oasis). I am on Carnival Dream. After a lot of research, I had my heart set on Sapphire Beach but then came the announcement earlier this month that there would be no bathrooms while we were there. (Side note: we have 2 children ages 5 & 8) So I decided to change our plans and make the trek to Trunk Bay. (We have never been to St. Thomas or St. John and we love snorkeling.) After reading lots of forums, I have read so many wonderful comments about Sapphire that I'm worried I will regret not going to it. I think we'd have more time if we went to Sapphire but I don't know if I should risk taking kids to a beach that has no bathrooms. I am really struggling with this decision. I have seen pictures and read forums about Trunk Bay and it sounds beautiful but we will have a limited amount of time there. Any suggestions? Any help? Thanks in advance.

There is so much advice on these forums, it's difficult to sift through everything. Travelling a long distance with your little guys to Trunk will dominate your day. As a Mom with twins my suggestion is the beaches are gorgeous in St Thomas, don't add the hassle of the commute. Magen's Bay would be great for little guys, and Emerald is just next door to pier. Snorkelling is easily accessible at Coki. The idyllic condo beaches, though lovely do not provide amenities that make travelling with kids more relaxing. Many posters on these forums have been blessed with innumerable visits to awesome beaches, and they have a completely different rating system and expectations. Plan your day closer to the port and avoid the inevitable slow commute that will take away from your snorkelling / beach time with adorable little guys. Maybe head back early to the ship for some quality time at the pool without the crowds. Enjoy your trip!

Sent using the Cruise Critic forums app

• 2 weeks later...

Get out early, catch a taxi to Magen's Bay. With young kids, you'll be glad you kept it simple and stayed on St. Thomas. Take your kids to St. John when they're older and can appreciate it more. Then it will be much more special for all of you.

We just back fr our cruise yesterday and we went to St. John's for the first time and it was wonderful. We went to Trunk Bay and they had bathrooms and showers. You do have to pay 4 dollars pp to get in. They have lockers, chairs and snorkeling equip. For additional fees. The snorkeling and beach were just awesome. The trees provide shade too. I think it is worth going and would be good for kids. We booked the excursion thr the ship that provided the transportation to and fr St. John's only

I personally like Coki better, good snorkeling. Very clean. Magen's is more of a family oriented beach, snorkeling not good there, has picnic tables and I believe has a $4/pp entrance charge. Other cruise critics, am I correct about the charges?:eek:

I personally like Coki better, good snorkeling. Very clean. Magen's is more of a family oriented beach, snorkeling not good there, has picnic tables and I believe has a $4/pp entrance charge. Other cruise critics, am I correct about the charges?:eek:

I agree with you ! Coki & Trunk Bay are my favorite...

The first time, we went directly to Coki Beach... It was absolutely incredible ! What a water... Awesome. After a few hours we went to Magen's Bay to spend the last hour... Oh my gosh.. We regret it ! No comparison !

But, it is my opinion... I understand that people doesn't look for the same thing. :)

Trunk Bay is beautiful. With that said, it costs approximately $50.00 per adult round trip with transport from Havestraw taxi to Red Hook, ferry from Red Hook to Cruz Bay, taxi from Cruz Bay to Trunk Bay and then admission fee. Children may be slightly less.

We had been planning on Sapphire Beach too. After looking at many options, we have decided to ferry over to St John. We are taking the ship's excursion which is basically just transportation, but it is right from the dock. I have made the trip back and forth to Red hook and would not choose to do it that way; too much wasted time.