Beaches Near Sorrento

susietb

We have been to this area several times and last year outside of

Sorrento (coming from Naples) there were stops on the Circumvesuviana Line that were on the water next to several beach/restaurants. Does anyone know the name of these "station stops"? We just want to have a easy beach day without going to Capri.

I have not personally looked for beaches (there are few on the Sorrentine peninsula), but after a week of going back and forth from Sorrento on the Circumvesuviana train, I believe the stops where you can see some beach facilities are "Piano di Sorrento" and "Meta".

If you look up those areas, you may be able to find some information on any public beaches. Just keep in mind they probably won't be sandy and you'll likely have to pay for use of a sunbed.

I just read a thread on Trip Advisor by someone who stayed in Meta that said it has "the only decent beach in this area". More from the post:

Nowadays we prefer to stay in apartments which gives us flexibility and more space compared to hiring two hotel rooms. I really wanted to stay in a small town not overrun with tourists, but not too far from attractions. I felt Meta fitted my bill perfectly and after spending couple of afternoons in Sorrento I was glad that I stayed in Meta.

I honestly did not hear a single word of English being spoken in Meta and I loved the windy, narrow streets, family restaurants, bakeries and the church bell ringing. The other advantage was Meta had the only decent beach in this area if we wanted to spend some time, which we did. Apartment choice was limited and eventually I settled on Senor Luigi's house Villino Castalleno.

This is not luxurious in any stretch of imagination, no lift: so clearly not suitable for less able people or if you are not keen to carry your bags to 3rd floor, furnishings were a bit old. Senor Luigi turned out to be a really nice and helpful person. He had a very good deal with local restaurant Ninuccio and even had negotiated some discount for Lido Marinella. In Italy you often have to pay the full rent in cash on arrival and that was not a problem with me. The house was 5 minutes walk from the station. I felt very safe in Meta and tried my best to throw my Italian everywhere !! The locals were amused but mostly very helpful.

Here's a link to the thread: http://www.tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g187785-i421-k7146041-My_thanks_to_all_the_regular_contributors_and_a_Trip_Report-Naples_Province_of_Naples_Campan.html

We stayed in Sorrento a few years ago and went to Peters Beach - it was just north of the Sorrento shopping district and easy to walk to from either sorrento port or main shopping square- although heading back up to main square is all uphill so take the little town bus! We stayed in Sorrento as our base and went to Peters beach a few days. They had an amazing restaurant and paid lounger and umbrella usage. It was very reasonable both lunch and use of facilities.

Sent from my Kindle Fire using Forums mobile app

We stayed in Meta a few years ago and swam at the beach. Meta did have a public beach beside the private ones. It was very crowded on the weekend but almost empty during the week( in May). I don't think that this was the beach area you saw, I don't think you can see it from the train and the stop is at least a half kilometer from the beach, also it was a pebble rather than a sand beach. There are beaches in Castellamare that are visible from the train but I don't know if they are public or not.

There are public swimming areas in Naples and also a wonderful beach at Baia.