Pier 66 & Renassance Hotel

JSeals4316

They're both nice hotels but between the two the Renaissance would by my choice. Renaisssance is a great hotel, only a few years old and within easy walking distance of many shops and restaurants. Pier 66 is an older hotel, and you would either need a taxi or have to make the long walk across the 17th Street bridge for any shops or restaurants (other than the hotel's restaurants of course). Pier 66 has balconies, Renaissance does not. I know Renaissance has a pool, but I never really paid any attention to it.

I spent a lot of time exploring the Renaissance, the Marriott Marina and the Hyatt Pier 66. I actually ruled out the Renaissance because it doesn't have balconies and the windows (based on my phone call directly to the hotel) are inoperable . Both the Marina and Hyatt do have balconies (as does Embassy Suites too). The Hyatt Pier 66 is my first choice but I've been unsuccessful getting it on priceline for January. I think I'm trying to early!

Other than the no balconies and inoperable windows, the Renaissance does sound like a very nice hotel with good reviews. I just have a thing for being able to have fresh air when I feel like it. It seems a shame to have a hotel with such a nice location without balconies! (The nice lady I spoke with at the Renaissance said that is probably the #1 questions she gets asked on the phone "Does your hotel have balconies?" )

I concur with Trents, they're both great hotels.

With that said, I prefer the Hyatt Pier 66. The property itself is situated on 22 lush acres of land. Its more of a tropical paradise. When your sitting at the pool if you didn't know any better you'd think you were in a Caribbean resort with the palm trees, tropical gardens, water falls etc. A very tranquil setting.

True, it's not a conveniant walk to the restaurants and shops on 17th Street but they do have four on-site restaurants and the world famous rooftop revolving cocktail lounge offering spectacular views of Port Everglades, the Beach. You cannot miss the spectacular sunsets from this vantage point.

Another advantage is the water taxi stop on site. From there you can go to the many restaurants and shops on the Las Olas Riverfront or Las Olas Boulevard. You can easily get to the beach by way of the water taxi as well.;)

Howdy,

I stayed at the Pier 66 in Ft Lauderdale last summer. I was not too impressed. The room was large but not very clean. There was some construction in the pool area. The room had a small refrigerator. There is a small but reasonable gym. I would stay in the tower. I am going down to Ft Lauderdale next week. I could have saved about $ 45.00 per night by staying at the Pier 66. I decided to go to the Mariott Harbour Beach Resort. Also, the hotel is not on the beach. It's a 30 minute walk or a 20 minute ride on the water shuttle (a lot of fun).

The hotel is ok, but not my first choice.

Bkonner

• 11 months later...
When would you try priceline to get either of these hotels for Dec. 26 & 27. How is the Renassance? Does it have a nice pool, any balconys? I would really like Pier 66.

I stayed at the Pier 66 in January. I got it on priceline. The room was old and not clean. The walk to the room itself was very long. I asked for the towers but, as a priceline customer, was put as far away as is possible. This is the only place that I have stayed at that I was treated poorly because I booked thru priceline.

The walk to anywhere was long. We had planned to take the watertaxi to eat but, it never showed up. We waited for the next one to come, still no taxi. This is not the hotels fault, but it did leave us eating at the hotel as nothing else around. The food was pricey and the service was very poor as the 18% tip was auto even for two people. (Breakfast is a bar with a 20% auto tip to serve your self?)

This is the only FLL hotel I haven't been happy with. We will be staying at the Embassy next week.

I stayed at the Pier 66 in January. I got it on priceline. The room was old and not clean. The walk to the room itself was very long. I asked for the towers but, as a priceline customer, was put as far away as is possible. This is the only place that I have stayed at that I was treated poorly because I booked thru priceline.

The walk to anywhere was long. We had planned to take the watertaxi to eat but, it never showed up. We waited for the next one to come, still no taxi. This is not the hotels fault, but it did leave us eating at the hotel as nothing else around. The food was pricey and the service was very poor as the 18% tip was auto even for two people. (Breakfast is a bar with a 20% auto tip to serve your self?)

This is the only FLL hotel I haven't been happy with. We will be staying at the Embassy next week.

Interesting. Whenever I stay at the Hyatt Pier 66 I always book through Priceline and have always been treated as a valued guest. My last visit was in May. I won it on Priceline, two nights $84 each night. When I checked in I requested a Tower room and they asked what floor I wanted. I requested the 12th floor, they asked ocean view, port or intercoastal. I requested oceanview and 12th floor ocean view it was.

All of the Lanai (garden) rooms have been renovated. New beds, carpets, furniture and flat screen tv's. They're absolutely gourgeous. I was kind of sorry I was in a tower room as they had not renovated the 12th floor yet.

Your absolutely right about the walk. The Hyatt sits on 22 lush acres. It's

all spread out and depending where your room is you could have a bit of a walk. The pool is huge though and regardless where your room is, it's a short walk from any one of them (except the Tower).

Expensive, you bet. A $12 a day resort charge is automatically added to your bill. Parking is #15 a day self park, $20 a day valet. Gratuities are automatically posted to your bill (just like drinks on a cruise ship). This is no differant then at any other resort in SoFla.

Pineview, sorry if you felt you were treated differantly as a PL customer. Had you brought it to the attention of the manager on duty he/she would have done everything possible to make your stay pleasurable. You should try it again now that the renovations have been completed. I think you would be pleasantly surprised. ;)

I think the Pier 66 hotel is the best. We've stayed at others but none were as nice and after having a private balcony, can't imagine staying anywhere without one. We got our room on priceline but don't think this was ever even mentioned when we checked in. I also won a room at the Renaissance on priceline, no balconies. Didn't realize this when I bid on that area.

• 2 weeks later...
They're both nice hotels but between the two the Renaissance would by my choice. Renaisssance is a great hotel, only a few years old and within easy walking distance of many shops and restaurants. Pier 66 is an older hotel, and you would either need a taxi or have to make the long walk across the 17th Street bridge for any shops or restaurants (other than the hotel's restaurants of course). Pier 66 has balconies, Renaissance does not. I know Renaissance has a pool, but I never really paid any attention to it.

Check on Hotwire for a 4* hotel downtown for your dates. I was just awarded the Renaissance for 12/30/06 @ $114/night. I've been bidding for some time without luck and this finally came available.

Loved the Renaissance! Very people oriented, IMHO. The hotel itself is beautiful - the pool is a nice size - the restuarant was great - ate two meals there- plus they have Starbucks for your morning coffee! I would book again in a heartbeat.

mollyanne:)

I just won the Renaissance for $110 for December.

I have stayed at the Renaissance before. It is your typical Marriott hotel. The rooms are clean, the people friendly and it is in a good location. The pool area is disappointing due to the location (right on 17th Street)- you can hear the traffic. I have no complaints about my stay at the Ren.

• 4 weeks later...

we loved the pier 66.. I will definately rebook next time we sail out of Fauderdale.. it was the nicest hotel we ever stayed in an dwe have stayed in alot of very high class places.. the beds were out of this world comfortable,, best ever! I loved the pier top with 360 degree view of the city and the port.. I was laying in bed and at 6:15 I just happened to wake up and look out the balcony to see the enchantment right before my eyes from by bed! WOW we got up immediately and watched it dock... very very sweet.. Loved the hyatt pier 66 very much :)

Archived