Juneau: Mt. Roberts hike down after tramway

DLKC

What's the hike like back down the mountain? I'm assuming it would be better to hike down... or is it better to hike up?

I find hiking uphill to be better for getting good footing. If the trail is at all wet, it's extremely slippery in many places. After a few a dry days, it's a great hike. I think that the tram down is still half price for anyone who hiked up - so $16pp instead of $32.

It used to be $10 to ride the tram back down if you hiked up although prices have been increasing it appears. Also, in the past, if you bought something at the gift shop at the top you could ride back down for free.

If you're more interested in the hiking portion, there is an exceptional trail near Mendenhall called the West Glacier Trail. Since it's on the other side of the glacier you would need transportation to get there. Neat view looking down on the glacier where the helicopters land.