Summit Review from a First Time Cruiser

carolslc

We received the regular canapés on Saturday, but had the cheese plate every day after that, which was wonderful. They left it in the room even if we weren’t there.

Hi. Thanks for the review. Could you possibly elaborate on what the regular canapés were? Thanks!

The regular canapes were 2-3 limp tortilla chips (they plate the food ahead of time with a metal cover), about a tablespoon of hummus, some nice olives, and I can't remember if there was something else? The only thing I remember liking was the olives. I like hummus but didn't like the chips and there wasn't enough of the hummus or the chips.

Hi. We're going on Summit, same itinerary, in a few weeks, so enjoyed your review. We cruised on Summit last year (loved the Barbados/St. Lucia itinerary and so now trying the other one) so I'm familiar with the ship. Not crazy about it, but found it OK.

I'm doing the Bumpiing tour. I'm unsure what to do in St. Thomas, but I think I want to go to St. John. I was thinking of using the shipboard credit to go there and wondering about the two trips they offer. You didn't happen to hear of any feedback on the one that goes on a little scenic tour of the outside of the island before dropping on the island, did you? They sound similar. I'm not a huge beach lover, so I suspect either one will do, but I was curious about the differences between the 2 excursions.

Thanks for the review!

I was surprised to hear that Mazy was back on the Summit. He left for the Reflection to trouble-shoot Blu. He often moves to new launches to open Blu and get everything up and running. We first met him on the Galaxy in 2000 when he was our waiter. He claimed he recognized us but I doubt it. He is just a natural charmer. We found pictures of him from our cruise in 2000 and will send them to him. It was great seeing him again.

Was there ever live music at the Sunset Bar?

We didn't see any but we could have just missed it. I don't remember if it mentioned any in the daily. They did have live music in the pool area in the late afternoon - I think for sail away. They had it sometime in the afternoon on sea day at the pool area too.

We loved the Sunset Bar area though - it was actually quieter and less crowded than I thought it would be, and very pleasant. I would have liked to spend more time there.

Hi. We're going on Summit, same itinerary, in a few weeks, so enjoyed your review. We cruised on Summit last year (loved the Barbados/St. Lucia itinerary and so now trying the other one) so I'm familiar with the ship. Not crazy about it, but found it OK.

I'm doing the Bumpiing tour. I'm unsure what to do in St. Thomas, but I think I want to go to St. John. I was thinking of using the shipboard credit to go there and wondering about the two trips they offer. You didn't happen to hear of any feedback on the one that goes on a little scenic tour of the outside of the island before dropping on the island, did you? They sound similar. I'm not a huge beach lover, so I suspect either one will do, but I was curious about the differences between the 2 excursions.

Thanks for the review!

You will enjoy the Bumpiing Tour I'm sure - it was great. As far as St. John, I didn't hear any feedback on the scenic tour - sorry. They let us out at Cruz Bay but some people stayed on the boat - I assume they were either doing the scenic tour, or the snorkel tour, or some combination.

I was surprised to hear that Mazy was back on the Summit. He left for the Reflection to trouble-shoot Blu. He often moves to new launches to open Blu and get everything up and running. We first met him on the Galaxy in 2000 when he was our waiter. He claimed he recognized us but I doubt it. He is just a natural charmer. We found pictures of him from our cruise in 2000 and will send them to him. It was great seeing him again.

Oh, he certainly is a charmer! Very personable. If he's the one that makes sure everything's in top shape in Blu, then that explains why our service in Blu was so impeccable on the Summit when we were there.

I'm unsure what to do in St. Thomas, but I think I want to go to St. John. I was thinking of using the shipboard credit to go there and wondering about the two trips they offer. You didn't happen to hear of any feedback on the one that goes on a little scenic tour of the outside of the island before dropping on the island, did you? They sound similar. I'm not a huge beach lover, so I suspect either one will do, but I was curious about the differences between the 2 excursions.

Thanks for the review!

I took the STL2 (on RCCL but they even have the same number for it), in fact I had booked a different one with a walking tour of Cruz and I planned to skip the walking tour and just go to the beach. Once on the boat they asked if I would switch and do the coastal tour that way we could skip the stop to drop me off and go straight to following the coastline.

I really enjoyed both the trip over to St John and the tour along the coastline. Once in St. John I took a taxi to Trunk and did some good snorkeling.

There was some pretty good rum punch included on the trip back :D.

My only complaint was the trip was not 6.5 hours as advertised, the ferry captain insisted we meet back at 3pm and we got back to the ship at 3h40, making the total trip time of making a total trip time 5 hours and 40 minutes.

When I queried this I was told that it is because most days there are lots of people who are late getting back to the ferry and they 'build' this into the schedule to make sure they aren't late for the ship.

My only complaint was the trip was not 6.5 hours as advertised, the ferry captain insisted we meet back at 3pm and we got back to the ship at 3h40, making the total trip time of making a total trip time 5 hours and 40 minutes.

When I queried this I was told that it is because most days there are lots of people who are late getting back to the ferry and they 'build' this into the schedule to make sure they aren't late for the ship.

I had the same complaint about ST03. The ferry captain told us to be back at the ship at 2:45. We left the ship a little after 10 and we were back to the ship by 4 - not a 6.5 hour excursion. I questioned the captain and he said they contracted with Celebrity to provide a 6 hour excursion, not 6.5 hours. I did note this on my review of Celebrity excursions on the guest survey at the end of the cruise. That, and the fact that they leave for St. John so late even though the ship is in port by 8, is why if I want to just go to St. John on my own next time, I'll probably do it myself even though it's more of a hassle.