Insuring flights and cruise 15 months out

KyleClark

Hi all - I am about to book a cruise for April 2015. I want to purchase trip insurance right away for the pre-existing condition waiver. I cannot book my flights this early as it is to far out. How do I go about getting the flights insured once I book them?

Thanks,

Kyle.

Hi all - I am about to book a cruise for April 2015. I want to purchase trip insurance right away for the pre-existing condition waiver. I cannot book my flights this early as it is to far out. How do I go about getting the flights insured once I book them?

Thanks,

Kyle.

When you buy the insurance ask if you can increase the amount at a later date . I have done this on a few trips.

Thanks,

Kyle.

I just booked flights with USAirways/American, and they offered insurance. $17 per person, not bad. And it's through Allianz, which is a good company.

I just booked flights with USAirways/American, and they offered insurance. $17 per person, not bad. And it's through Allianz, which is a good company.

That may or may not be a good choice depending on the plan chosen. For example, this is from Travel guard's most popular plan:

"PRE-EXISTING MEDICAL CONDITION EXCLUSION WAIVER

The Insurer will waive the pre-existing medical condition exclusion up to a maximum of the first $30,000 of Trip Cost per person if the following conditions are met:

1. This plan is purchased within 15 days of making the Initial Trip Payment;

2. The amount of coverage purchased equals all prepaid, non-refundable payments or deposits applicable to the Trip at the time of purchase, and the cost of any subsequent arrangement(s) added to the same Trip are insured within 15 days of the date of payment or deposit for any subsequent Trip arrangement(s);

3. All Insured’s are medically able to travel when plan cost is paid."

So with this plan if the OP chooses to insure the air tickets with another company (such as Allianz) he/she could be voiding the pre-existing medical condition waiver on the cost of the cruise also.