Mardi Gras on Carnival

muffinbaby

Hey guys,

Me and my family are cruising the Elation the week of Mardi Gras. Leaving on Lundi Gras day. Does Carnival do any thing special to celebrate Mardi Gras on the ship? Just wondering if we should bring along some beads and Mardi Gras attire and what to expect.

Thanks!

They throw beads, you just have to catch them. There's music, dancing and fun interaction with the crowd. We also had a mardi gras parade with musicians leading the way. I had a blast.

You can dress for the occasion if you like, but I didn't see anyone other the band dressed in mardi gras style clothing.

Edited by dmarie1623

If you can, come to New Orleans on Friday and take in all the big parades and activities over the weekend...when you board the Elation on Monday you will have been Mardi Gras out, and will enjoy the rest of your cruise

We sailed over mardi gras a few years ago. We actually brought our own beads, and loved tossing them to people in the promenade on our way to dinner. We also gave some to our waiters. They loved them! I thank they had a party on deck too.

We sailed the Elation during Mardi Gras in 2011 and were disappointed that there was nothing special going on during the cruise. No beads, no parades, no special shows. It was a short 4 day cruise to Cozumel. However, Cozumel was having it's main Carnival celebration and parade that evening. The streets were lined with the most colorful floats and the costumes of those riding the floats were amazing. We had hoped that MAYBE we could have stayed in port for a couple more hours to see the parade but that was not the case either. I have to say, we were expecting a little more excitement from that cruise but it was still a good cruise. Just nothing special during Mardi Gras. :(

Bring face makeup and paint a mask around your eyes. It's easy to do a simple mask and add 3 lines of color down the side of each cheek. Squiggle the lines like ribbon.You'll look festive without carrying costumes. Just remember the makeup remover.

Edited by Smiling Cruiser

2012 on the Liberty, they had mask making, and they supplied all the craft supplies, then they later they invited you to the atrium where there was music and dancing. They threw out beads and noise makers, masks etc., and then paraded down the hall to the lounge. Once in the lounge they invited those on stage that made a mask earlier in the day (maybe 20 people) up on stage and judged the masks based on round of applause, and gave out a ship on a stick or two.

So, if you do not participate in the mask making, and if you did not go to the atrium within that hour time period, you would not have even known they had done anything at all on the ship for mardi gras.

We sailed the Elation during Mardi Gras in 2011 and were disappointed that there was nothing special going on during the cruise. No beads, no parades, no special shows. It was a short 4 day cruise to Cozumel. However, Cozumel was having it's main Carnival celebration and parade that evening. The streets were lined with the most colorful floats and the costumes of those riding the floats were amazing. We had hoped that MAYBE we could have stayed in port for a couple more hours to see the parade but that was not the case either. I have to say, we were expecting a little more excitement from that cruise but it was still a good cruise. Just nothing special during Mardi Gras. :(

Carnival in Cozumel? That sounds interesting. Do you remember what day this fell on?

Carnaval in Cozumel is essentially the same as Mardi Gras. They have all kinds of celebrations and parades throughout the time, just like we do in the States. I think this year is it is March 2nd. Cozumel Insider has a schedule of activities on their website.

If you can, come to New Orleans on Friday and take in all the big parades and activities over the weekend...when you board the Elation on Monday you will have been Mardi Gras out, and will enjoy the rest of your cruise

I'm from southern LA and we will be parading all the way up to the cruise. Hopefully we make it on board ;)

Carnaval in Cozumel is essentially the same as Mardi Gras. They have all kinds of celebrations and parades throughout the time, just like we do in the States. I think this year is it is March 2nd. Cozumel Insider has a schedule of activities on their website.

Thanks!

• 3 years later...

We had a Mardi Gras party on the Conquest many years ago. My sister taught me how to do the face mask with face paint. Buy it now with all your Halloween supplies. You should be able to find plenty of "how-to's" on the internet this time of year. It was so much fun and make up remover took it all off before bedtime. Have a great time-Happy Sails!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums