New Excursion - Adults Only La Casa en La Playa - Rocky Shores

lvcruises

This is pretty much exactly what I'm looking for in our Cozumel excursion, but it's a bit out of our price range. You could pay for 2 people all inclusive at a place like Mr. Sanchos or Nachi Cocom for what it costs for 1 person here. :/

I see Carnival just added Adults Only La Casa en La Playa - Rocky Shores in the last couple weeks. Has anyone done this one yet?

Never done it but seems way overpriced. Look on trip advisor for adult only AI's in Cozumel or maybe Playa Del Carmen (15-20 min ferry ride)... I remember reading about one last year I thought. There's also a quieter side on the opposite side of Cozumel very pretty over there, Mezcalito's Restaurant & beach bar & Punta Moreno, are over there we've never done either since we've always had kids with us. They aren't like Sanchos and other beaches on the popular side with beach toys and kid activities. I've heard both of those places were fun from forums & friends who have been. Good luck.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N900A using Tapatalk

Edited by Haley87

I believe that Spaniel Lover did that excursion and covered it in his review. It can be found here

http://cruiseforums.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1961624&highlight=cozumel

From what I recall he liked it a lot.

ETA -

From his review

"One word of caution about this shore excursion...

You absolutely MUST book this months in advance of your cruise. As I said, it's limited to just 16 passengers out of the thousands on the cruise. It's a great shore excursion with excellent word-of-mouth, and it books up fast. We were very lucky, as I booked our tickets for this shore excursion months in advance of our cruise... and I got the last three spots. If you wait until you get onboard the ship to try to book this shore excursion, you will almost certainly not get tickets."

Edited by 1kaper

Cozumel, Mexico

Our final port of call was Cozumel, which is an island off the east coast of Mexico. Like Grand Cayman, Cozumel is a major destination for cruise ships. There were six other cruise ships in Cozumel the day we visited! In fact, there were so many cruise ships in Cozumel that day that I saw something that I've never seen before in all my previous visits... there were more cruise ships than there were piers to handle them! There were seven ships in port that day, and only six places to dock... so one of the ships had to tender her passengers in. I've never seen that before in Cozumel. The unlucky ship on this day was the Norwegian Jewel.

In Cozumel, we were docked at the Puerta Maya pier next to an old friend, the Carnival Magic. I call her that because we had a really nice cruise on her in 2012. You can read about it here. At the adjacent pier, it was a treat to see the largest cruise ship in the world... the Allure of the Seas. I'll probably sail on her, someday, just to see what all the fuss is about.

CarnivalSunshine-IMG_8835.JPG

Our final shore excursion of this cruise was a real treat. It's a relatively new shore excursion known as "La Casa En La Playa". In English, that's "The House On The Beach". La Casa En La Playa is located at Playa Palancar... which is about a fifteen minute ride from where the cruise ships dock in Puerta Maya.

LaCasaEnLaPlaya-IMG_8831.JPG

La Casa En La Playa is basically a little cottage at the beach. What's special about this shore excursion is that it's limited to just 16 people, and everyone is treated like a VIP. There's a private chef to cook for you, and a bar staff to bring you unlimited drinks. You can swim or kayak in the ocean... or enjoy snorkeling at a small reef just a few feet off shore. I wish I had brought my water proof camera on this shore excursion, as there were more fish at this reef than I saw anywhere else during the entire week. I didn't even realize they had a reef, so I left my waterproof camera back on the ship.

All around La Casa are little places for you to relax... pick whatever suits your mood. There are tables to eat lunch at... loungers at the beach for those who want sun... and under the palm trees are day beds, hammocks, and loungers for those who want to stay in the shade.

LaCasaEnLaPlaya-IMG_8822.JPG

I know it doesn't look like much, but believe me... this was paradise!

LaCasaEnLaPlaya-IMG_8806.JPG

It was warm that day, so we stayed under the shade of the palm trees when we weren't in the water

Spaniel Lover reviewed this excursion. Start post #18. I don't know how to link his review. It was his review of the Sunshine. Beautiful pictures. I would like to visit on our next trip to Cozumel.

Spaniel Lover reviewed this excursion. Start post #18. I don't know how to link his review. It was his review of the Sunshine. Beautiful pictures. I would like to visit on our next trip to Cozumel.

Haha, look up, I linked it above. :D

I would also be interested in this excursion but we are not stopping there this time.

I'm thinking that the "adults only" is different than the one Spaniel Lover reviewed. I've done the one that SL did, and it was wonderful, very relaxing. But Carnival calls that "A Select Retreat", and the other one "Rocky Shores", and the pictures are different. Looks like they may be in two different locations.

But to answer the OP, I haven't done the Adults Only version, but I did do the "Select Retreat" one. Yeah, it was more expensive than what I've normally done in Cozumel (Nachi), but it was exactly what I was looking for: a very small gathering of low-key people, my lounge chair was just a few steps from the beach, and I wanted for nothing, food and drinks were brought to me before I even asked. Very relaxing experience.

I'm thinking that the "adults only" is different than the one Spaniel Lover reviewed. I've done the one that SL did, and it was wonderful, very relaxing. But Carnival calls that "A Select Retreat", and the other one "Rocky Shores", and the pictures are different. Looks like they may be in two different locations.

But to answer the OP, I haven't done the Adults Only version, but I did do the "Select Retreat" one. Yeah, it was more expensive than what I've normally done in Cozumel (Nachi), but it was exactly what I was looking for: a very small gathering of low-key people, my lounge chair was just a few steps from the beach, and I wanted for nothing, food and drinks were brought to me before I even asked. Very relaxing experience.

I keep looking at this excursion and this is something I've been confused about. It does look like there are 2 of them and the Adults Only Rocky Shores version must be very new because there is only 1 review for it on Carnival's site (5 star by the way).

I see, I had gone by the link someone else posted in the thread saying it was the same excursion OP is looking at and they sounded the same. I see now that the SL didn't confirm that was the same one.

(love the nickname, I have a similar nickname on another site)

Edited by 1kaper

We are booked for "the select retreat". I agree, it does seem a little pricey but we really wanted to try it because of all the fabulous reviews. "The adult retreat" seems like it is the same excursion but limited to adults only whereas the other allows children. The adults only version must be very new since it was not there a couple months ago when I booked the other. I'm going to watch the reviews than may change to the adult only one. My bet is that everyone will give it rave reviews also.

Reading about this excursion makes me wish I had booked my next cruise on a western itinerary! Even at that price, given the small number of people there, I think that I would make it my one "special treat" of the cruise.

Next time that Carnival takes me to Cozumel, I will plan on this one, but I bet you would have to book early, given the limited number of people.

Looks like a wonderful way to spend the day:)

I keep looking at this excursion and this is something I've been confused about. It does look like there are 2 of them and the Adults Only Rocky Shores version must be very new because there is only 1 review for it on Carnival's site (5 star by the way).

I agree that it must be new, it wasn't available for my December cruise 'cause I sure would have picked it! But I honestly don't remember seeing any kids on the "Select Retreat"; if there were any, they were awfully quiet. But the setup wasn't geared toward kids for sure, no inflatables or anything 'kid-like' for them to do. I agree with the book early, I was torn about spending that much and about a month pre-cruise I went ahead and bit the bullet, and got the very last spot. Looks like the Adult place has a swimming pool if that's important, the Select house did not. But it was a very nice gentle slope into the water, and the sand wasn't as "deep" and hard to walk through like I've experienced at Nachi. Select didn't have wifi, if you're wanting to post pictures on your Facebook to make all your friends jealous. :p

Whatever you do, enjoy yourself!

Thanks everyone.. we are booked on the select retreat one but the adult only version really appeals to us too. Trying to decide if we should cancel the one and do the adult only. Like the idea of the pool even if it is small. Really like the idea of no kids and being able to just relax.

After much deliberation, I decided to book the Select Retreat excursion. I like the idea of the Adults Only option and the pool, but I compared the pictures and it looks a bit more secluded and shady at the Select Retreat. I also asked the tour company some questions on their Facebook page and they said that the Adults Only does have a rockier shoreline (hence the name Rocky Shores) and while you can still comfortably swim in the sea, I prefer a gentler slope. It doesn't sound like many kids go on this excursion anyway and I can swim in the pool on the ship.

Edited by Pyxie

And loved it. There weren't any kids there and they limited it to 30 guests At that time. They mentioned raising the limit in the future but only a few more

We were totally spoiled all day! Brought everything to you! As much as you wanted to drink. Snacks that were yummy. And gave you several choices of meals

They provided snorkel equipment. There is a small grouping of rock/coral to snorkel at. It was great for a beginner like me. No toys. Just total relaxation

One of the ladies watched in the kitchen while her meal was being prepared

We had a couple of ladies that kept ordering shots for the whole group. They definately got their money's worth

I've been trying to find feedback on the adults only version of this excursion but CC's search feature kept coming up as disabled today. I posted a question on the Cozumel board asking for more feedback on this one.

We have friends that did the original version of this excursion and raved about how wonderful it is. Of course that meant it was sold out when I checked into booking it. I did find the adult only version and booked it as a treat for my husbands 50th birthday. From everything I've read about the original excursion this is an incredible day of pampering and being spoiled. I may have to remind dh that this only happens in the Caribbean lol :)