Princess -Yellow Fever Vaccination

davereen

Travelling from Rio to Santiago on Golden Princess departing 3 January 2015.Calling into Montevideo after Rio and Buenos Aires.Need for Yellow Fever Vaccination for Uruguay if travelling from an infected country ie Brazil?Any advice from others who may have done this trip .

Princess will typically post this requirement in the "Important Notices" section of the Cruise Personalizer. If it's there, you'll need proof of having the shot, typically within the last ten years.

The proof is in the form of an internationally recognized yellow card, the "International Certificate of Vaccination or Prophylaxis". If Princess requires it, you won't be allowed on the ship without it.

We just got the shot for our trip to Africa. Not cheap either. For us was $185 USD each. You also must go to a clinic authorized to provide these shots. Not all clinics do these, they aren't like tetanus or flu shots.

All that said, some older folk cannot get this shot due to some possible serious side-effects. You can get a medical waiver letter if this is the case. Princess will let you board with this letter but you may not be allowed off the ship in the countries that require the YF vaccination.

We were on the Golden earlier this month and we did not need the shots. If you go to the cdc website as my doctor recommended, you can research it yourself because there are caveats. But since we stuck to just the main city tours, we did not need to get any extra shots.

If you go to the jungle you should get the shot.

Edited by Duane T

We were on the Golden earlier this month and we did not need the shots. If you go to the cdc website as my doctor recommended, you can research it yourself because there are caveats. But since we stuck to just the main city tours, we did not need to get any extra shots.

If you go to the jungle you should get the shot.

It is unlikely that someone from the UK will know what the "cdc website" is. :)

Travelling from Rio to Santiago on Golden Princess departing 3 January 2015.Calling into Montevideo after Rio and Buenos Aires.Need for Yellow Fever Vaccination for Uruguay if travelling from an infected country ie Brazil?Any advice from others who may have done this trip .

You should be able to get a yellow fever vaccination from your GP or a Travel Medicine Clinic and for further info you might want to look at http://www.nathnac.org (a UK Government funded website) I hope this helps.

We just got the shot for our trip to Africa. Not cheap either. For us was $185 USD each. You also must go to a clinic authorized to provide these shots. Not all clinics do these, they aren't like tetanus or flu shots.

Here in Texas we were able to get this for $99 each by going to a county health clinic.

Here in Texas we were able to get this for $99 each by going to a county health clinic.

Here in Florida they are charging $105 for the serum and $45 for the "Exam." And this is through the county health department. Other authorized clinics are much more costly.

When we last got the shots (in 2001), we paid $126, so at the current $150,. inflation hasn't made it go up too much.

Edited by Pia1913

Our Princess tale of Yellow Fever woe :(. A few years ago we did a 3 Continent cruise on the Grand and one of our ports of call was Devil's Island. Although there has never been any Yellow Fever on Devil's Island it is owned by a country (French Guiana) that has some cases. So the country of Senegal (another stop on our cruise) requires that anyone who has been in French Guiana must have a current Yellow Fever Vaccine. So over 3000 passengers spent more then $100 per person (in some cases it can cost about $300) to get their Yellow Fever vaccinations. And yes (you probably guessed) when we got to Devil's Island it was too rough to tender so we missed the port. Such is the life of a cruiser.

Hank

Our Princess tale of Yellow Fever woe :(. A few years ago we did a 3 Continent cruise on the Grand and one of our ports of call was Devil's Island. Although there has never been any Yellow Fever on Devil's Island it is owned by a country (French Guiana) that has some cases. So the country of Senegal (another stop on our cruise) requires that anyone who has been in French Guiana must have a current Yellow Fever Vaccine.

Brasil also requires the vaccine if you have stopped at Devil's Island before reaching Brazil.

Next time I'll check out the Arizona county health clinics. The $185 USD included the shot and its administration and was from a Travel Clinic. I hope I remember this tip ten-plus years from now!

Edited by beg3yrs

Thanks for all the advice.I shall certainly be taking it up with the medics as both my wife and I are over 60(can be complications apparently)and I had a heart operation last year.Interestingly cost for vac in UK is £55(approx.$88)

This is for our upcoming cruise through Africa:

YELLOW FEVER VACCINATION REQUIRED

A yellow fever vaccination is required for all passengers. This is a requirement of the governments of Togo, Ghana and Senegal based on the ports of call. The ORIGINAL International Certificate of Vaccination for Yellow Fever must be brought to the ship. Note that while yellow fever vaccination is required for this cruise, you may contact your doctor or local health authority if you have any questions regarding other vaccinations, prophylactic medications and preventative health measures. Please note that *ONLY* if there is a medical contraindication to the vaccine, then an original, signed and dated statement detailing the contraindication on a physician's letterhead stationery should be brought to the ship and presented at embarkation. During the cruise, upon arrival to the specified port, this letter will be presented to local officials who will make a decision on issuing a vaccine waiver.

**IMPORTANT** Yellow fever vaccinations may only be administered by authorized clinics, and are not available onboard. Updated information regarding traveler's health is available at the U.S. CDC website at www.cdc.gov.

Edited by beg3yrs