Big changes to Cruise Directors???

backnine05

Does anyone know what John Heald might be referring to???

Here is the excerpt from his blog today

"

A lot of you have been asking for an updated version of the cruise director schedule and so I wanted to address a few things about that if I may. We are making changes and certainly the CD schedule is very fluid at the moment with lots of changes and movement happening. This means that I do not want to publish a new schedule until it is all set. And while I will, as planned, be the CD for the Alaska season on the Carnival Miracle there will be lots of other movement.

There are reasons for this and these reasons will be discussed with all my colleagues when we meet for our conference in Miami on March 31 – April 4. We certainly have lots to talk about and for reasons I will explain to you after we have spoken with the CDs, this will be one of the most important conferences we have had in a long time. Big changes ahead that I have no doubt you, the guest, will appreciate very much.

So if you have questions as to who your cruise director will be please let me know and I will do my best to confirm. The schedule will remain the same until March and then some of the changes will start. Obviously while the CD conference is on, there will be a chance for some of our assistant cruise directors to shine and I wonder if you have sailed with any that you would like to see in the big chair?

Anyway, more on the CD’s as the days progress and I still maintain that a great CD can make a great cruise a brilliant one."

Any clue anyone?

I don't care enough about Carnival to hang on every word when they announce that they will soon be making an announcement about a future announcement. But if you do, I wouldn't hold my breath. Based on past experience, there often seems to be a lot of hype without much substance.

As a matter of full disclosure, I should say that I really don't care who the cruise director is on a particular ship, other than that I prefer someone who isn't constantly in my face with loud annoying announcements. I'm as interested in knowing who the cruise director of a ship is as I am in knowing who the manager of the hotel I stay at is.

I don't care enough about Carnival to hang on every word when they announce that they will soon be making an announcement about a future announcement. But if you do, I wouldn't hold my breath. Based on past experience, there often seems to be a lot of hype without much substance.

As a matter of full disclosure, I should say that I really don't care who the cruise director is on a particular ship, other than that I prefer someone who isn't constantly in my face with loud annoying announcements. I'm as interested in knowing who the cruise director of a ship is as I am in knowing who the manager of the hotel I stay at is.

Agreed. Sounds like they're trying to induce hysteria though brilliant hype.

Never saw anyone jumping through hoops trying to get to know Julie McCoy either.

Some CDs exude excitement and are very personable. Others, not so much. There are some guests who "Oooooo" and "Ahhhhhh" and cling to the CD throughout the cruise. There are those who couldn't care any less.

Steve Cassel was humorous and witty and we saw him alot on the ship. If we called his name, he would stop and talk--very likable guy. James Charlton was not like that at all and we only saw him we was on stage for show. Jen Baxter was sorta fun--sometimes you didn't know exactly how to react to her wit, but she did her best to keep the excitement up.

Here's hoping you get the kind of CD you like--or maybe you just don't care. Anyway, Bon Voyage!

I sailed twice when Steve Cassell was cruise director, knew his name but was not until I cruised on Paradise that I knew he was also a excellent Fiddle player.

Normally we never know who the CD is and normally do not care. I have to agree the less chatter I hear from a CD on the PS system the happier I am.

Could also done without all the hype last week on the Splendor from the salesman peddling the value of bracelets and watches that you can find anywhere on land for same price.

"

A lot of you have been asking for an updated version of the cruise director schedule and so I wanted to address a few things about that if I may. We are making changes and certainly the CD schedule is very fluid at the moment with lots of changes and movement happening. This means that I do not want to publish a new schedule until it is all set. And while I will, as planned, be the CD for the Alaska season on the Carnival Miracle there will be lots of other movement.

There are reasons for this and these reasons will be discussed with all my colleagues when we meet for our conference in Miami on March 31 – April 4. We certainly have lots to talk about and for reasons I will explain to you after we have spoken with the CDs, this will be one of the most important conferences we have had in a long time. Big changes ahead that I have no doubt you, the guest, will appreciate very much.

So if you have questions as to who your cruise director will be please let me know and I will do my best to confirm. The schedule will remain the same until March and then some of the changes will start. Obviously while the CD conference is on, there will be a chance for some of our assistant cruise directors to shine and I wonder if you have sailed with any that you would like to see in the big chair?

Anyway, more on the CD’s as the days progress and I still maintain that a great CD can make a great cruise a brilliant one."

Any clue anyone?

I do like having a fun CD--I have had Butch 3 times now--was just on his last sailing of the Breeze on Jan 12--he is switching over to the Sunshine I guess. While I wouldnt choose a cruise totally on a CD, I do like having someone who is fun and outgoing. I like to see the shows and go to the parties and a good CD can really make the difference.

"

Any clue anyone?

CD doesnt make or break our cruise.

Just off the Splendor yesterday and our CD was Eli Sharplin - none existent for the most part. Never saw him once off of a stage and he spent wayyyyyy too much time on the PA.

The CD was supposed to be Malcolm Burns, but he extended his vacation for another week.

The ACD was Donkey a spanish guy from australia, he was nice, personable, but still not ready to be a CD yet in my opinion.

March 31 to April 4 is prime spring break season. Why are they having a CD conference then? We are in the Legend at that time. I guess it will be an assistant CD for us. Oh well!

My thoughts exactly! Why during PRIME TIME?! That's when we sail too....3/29....spring break primetime.

As long as we don't get a "mumbler" (aka someone you can't understand because they're either a low talker or of too rich of an accent that you can't understand them) I'm fine with an assistant or whoever wants to take the reigns. I'm not too particular in who it is either but I would like to understand them when I see them on the screen or on stage, know what I mean?:cool:

I do like having a fun CD--I have had Butch 3 times now--was just on his last sailing of the Breeze on Jan 12--he is switching over to the Sunshine I guess. While I wouldnt choose a cruise totally on a CD, I do like having someone who is fun and outgoing. I like to see the shows and go to the parties and a good CD can really make the difference.

Agree totally with you. If the CD isn't great, it won't ruin my cruise, but love having people with energy like Butch....especially when cruising with our kids.

Cruise Directors are in charge of boarding the ship

and getting off of the ship.

Get one really bad one......and it matters to us all who is the C.D. Most are excellent. In over 20 cruises we have had one bad one..and that was fill in..and YES. the effect was in everything. Activities. The chaos on getting off.

They are involved in a lot behind the scenes that we never see.

BEST ONE I have ever seen is a C.D. on Princess. He is on the Royal now. his first name is Ron. I was on that ship for a week. he must have shaken my hand half a dozen times. he seemed to genuinely like people. Like talking to them. he was not loud...actually sort of soft spoken. He just seemed happy to be there. Happy you were there. I was there. and it was contagious. Everything on the ship that he was involved with ran very smoothly too.

They matter!!

When does Butch start on the Sunshine? On the 2013-2014 schedule it says he is still on the Breeze....wondering if this is one of the changes JH was talking about

But this isn't an announcement about any anything. JH was asked about who would be CD on certian cruisses and could not answer, and was infroming readders of his blog why. It sounds like they are going to making some kind of personal moves and don't want to tell the general public untill after the CD conference where they will be letting the effected personal know.

Sent from IPhone