What age did you book your kids in their own cabin?

krispykreme97

I'm single for now but if I wasn't I would probably want my kids in a separate cabin! Just wondering what age you put your kids out of your cabin lol

Sent using the Cruise Critic forums app

First time DD was 13 and DS was 16 on the Carnival Destiny....never again will we have 4 in a room :). Destiny was 2 insides right next to each other. Glory was a Balcony with an inside across the hall. Epic was 2 insides right next to each other. Freedom we had DD's friend so we had adjoining balcony rooms with the 3 kids in one and us in the other. Jewel and upcoming Princess were/are adult only.

Edited by Warm Breezes

This year will be our first. After cruising on Disney a couple years ago all 5 in one room it was just too crowded. We even had one of the large family suites. So this year we have a balcony for mom and dad and the twins 13 and their big brother 14 will have their own room about 7 doors down the hall. We'll have keys to their rooms and they'll have keys to ours. They love the balcony just as much as we do, but they'll also love their freedom and we'll love our peace and quiet:)

You know your children.....while I wouldn't leave little ones <10 down the hall; you'll know if your 10 and 12 year old are responsible enough to be across the hall....with all the "rules and responsibilities" that go along with safe and responsible cruising. (i.e. never open the door to strangers; hang the Do Not Disturb sign at night.....so even the room steward doesn't come in; act responsibly (i.e. be quiet, take care of your stuff, no guests).

Personally, by the time we had little ones (and actually required a second room) the older kids were well into their teens and I was confident in their sense of responsibility toward the little ones. This cruise they're all down the hall (although we'll probably move the baby back in with us to actually sleep).

The first time we took kids we took all 4 - one college age, one high school and two 11 yr olds. They had a room across the hall.

Cruised with our twins in an adjoining room - when checking prices, it was only $50.00 more for the 2nd room so totally worth it.

Recently cruised with all 4 of us in the room - pretty tight since they are full size adult people now (high school seniors).

Completely agree!!! :D

I'd rather spend that money (that one would spend on two rooms) to have one nice room on Lido and spend that extra money elsewhere....if I had the extra money anyway. Way too pricey for us and we live in an upscale part of town for the most part. It's too much for us to get two rooms. I don't see how so many others can do it. :confused: But if we did have it, I think I'd enjoy using that extra in other areas instead of more space to get ready for dinner and sleep.

We only have 1 child but if we had 2 I agree with you. I like my balcony on the Lido and we sail at Christmas now so it is really expensive.

That's what the Nightowl program is for, LOL. Our son had his first room at 19, although we did book him with his grandfather once so we could have more privacy (the twins were 25 months and in with us). I think 12 would be okay depending on individual maturity level, but only within a few cabins of mine, not on another floor or even in different section (everyone midship, forward or aft).

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app

I am not sure how old I would let me my kids have their own cabin as ours never had that luxury, but next door to our outside cabin on our last cruise was 3 boys ages 12-15 who had their parents down the hall. We heard wrestling, yelling and laughing until 2pm or later nightly. Asked them to keep it down and that helped for an hour, so later in the week finally caught the parents coming by and informed them of the nightly activities. This helped so we at least did not have to call security, so privacy I'm sure was great for the parents and their peace and quiet down the hall, but not so much for us.

I'm single for now but if I wasn't I would probably want my kids in a separate cabin! Just wondering what age you put your kids out of your cabin lol

Sent using the Cruise Critic forums app

She was 6 going on 7. It was an adjoining room, and our max capacity was 2.

Never did - that's why some staterooms sleep 4

Mine will be 20 in March and she has always been in with us because she is an only child. We never had the need for more than one cabin. Just my daughter, her best friend and me all in one cabin in May. She can have her own cabin when she can pay for it herself. :p

Our daughters were 15 and 13 and had an inside cabin across the hall from our balcony room. The first year we were extremely strict with them but in subsequent years we have become more lenient (only check up on them one or two nights to ensure compliance with our rules). This has worked on each of our last three yearly cruises without any issues.

Unfortunately we also have a son a year younger than our younger daughter who stays in the cabin with my DW and I. Putting him in the girl's cabin would surely result in W.W.III. breaking out.

We started putting kids in separate cabins when they were about 9 years old. Not necessarily across the hall either, but on the same floor. As they got older with the oldest being 15/16, they could even be on different floors. You have to know the responsibility level of your kids before you do something like that though. My kids are seasoned cruisers now, with over 15 sailings now. :)