Been on a sky suite on the century?

ozziebound

We're going to be in 1077 on an Alaska cruise in July. I'm trying to read positive reviews to reassure myself that the recent negative century reviews are not a concern.

Also, it's our first suite and while I realise sky suites in century are nothing like suites on other ships and are really just a bigger stateroom, I have heard that the tub/shower is nice and that the balconies on some are huge and wonderful. I THINK we got one of the huge balconies... If someone could confirm I'd be very happy.

Really, just say "Adam, don't worry, you'll love the sky suite, butler, premium beverage package, and the century while seeing Alaska for the first time, and it's all money well spent!"

(And I hope someone joins our lonely July 6 roll call!)

Thanks!

Adam

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk 2

Well Adam, I also hope for positive feed back, as we are booked in a C.C cabin, 1082.

I think it might be more hopeful after the dry dock, but I'm not sure how much will be achieved in 10 days ( she arrives in FLl on Sat Feb 1st and the 3 day cruise after dry dock is starting on Feb 12th. I'm not sure where the dry dock is taking place, but I have read that it won't be major- structure etc.

Host Andy is on the cruise starting Feb 15 as well, so maybe we will get a report when he returns.

"Adam, don't worry, you'll love the sky suite, butler, premium beverage package, and the century while seeing Alaska for the first time, and it's all money well spent!":D

We were in skysuite 1069 last summer. We loved it. We are fairly new to cruising though so it may be that our expectations weren't that high. But we loved the crew and the suite was nice and the bed was soooo comfortable. We loved our balcony. There were two lounge chairs as well as a table and two chairs. I thought it was pretty big. If you are looking for it you will find signs of wear around the ship. We were prepared to love it and have a great time and we did. Even though we have been on another cruise since and are leaving for yet another one soon, I am so jealous.:) She's a lovely ship with a lovely crew. You will have a great time.

We did the Alaska cruise in 2013 in a SS but on 12 instead of 10. Also had the premium drink package. We thoroughly enjoyed it. Check in was a breeze, room and balcony great. Enjoyed the butler. Had breakfast in the room most days. Liked the drink package, we found it enjoyable not to think about the cost of a drink. Since this was our first X cruise can't compare the Century to other ships. We had no problems nor issues with it.

Hi,

Your balcony will be big....but the ones on skysuites on deck #12 are

huge.

We've been in SS on Century ( and close sibling MERCURY) 3 times. They're fantastic.

The soot problem another poster referred to would affect the deck #12 SS....although this has never been much of a published problem, ( Never affected us ).

Location of your SS is just about mid-ship as it gets.; quiet.

GREAT views from the balcony.

You'll love it.

Cheers

Edited by c-legs

Yeah... We can get an SS On deck 12 and even save some money but we have friends in an inside right across the hall on deck 10 and you're right about midship... It seems like we're in a perfect location, right below buffet and sushi and sunset bar and not under the pool deck!

Yeah... We can get an SS On deck 12 and even save some money but we have friends in an inside right across the hall on deck 10 and you're right about midship... It seems like we're in a perfect location, right below buffet and sushi and sunset bar and not under the pool deck!

Well, the problem with the Sky Suites on Deck 12 is the folks who think your roof is a jogging track, despite the posted signs that say it isn't. Don't know how big the balconies on Deck 10 are, but at least you'll be able to enjoy them without the pitter-patter of not-so-little feet overhead.:eek:

And, yes, we complained -- and it stopped -- well, for a day anyway. :rolleyes:

Ozziebound, you will enjoy your suite. October 2013 R/T Hawaiian cruise, we were in suite 1072. The previous photos of an SS suite on 12 are identical to the suite we had on 10.

Balcony is huge, as depicted, with 2 lounge chairs and a table and chairs. We ate breakfast and lunch on the balcony numerous times. While the room was not huge, it was large

enough to not feel claustrophobic whatsoever! We enjoyed every minute spent in our suite and I know you will too! Enjoy!

Love your big review, Mike and Carol! I'm planning to read the whole thing...

Thanks for the reassurance, frakkles, that ours on ten will have the same huge balcony.

Did any of you use the jacuzzi tub?

Here's another question, and I'm debating starting it as a new thread...

I read a lot about suites having an expanded room service menu, or being able to ask the butler to bring almost anything food-wise (from MDR, etc.), and set up parties for friends...

So here's the question: if the butler sets up a party with food and non alcoholic drinks, is there an extra charge?

And, if we ask the butler to bring breakfast to our balcony, and want enough food for our friends (a couple in the inside room across the hall) to join us, is that ok?

Thanks again!

Ozziebound, you will enjoy your suite. October 2013 R/T Hawaiian cruise, we were in suite 1072. The previous photos of an SS suite on 12 are identical to the suite we had on 10.

Balcony is huge, as depicted, with 2 lounge chairs and a table and chairs. We ate breakfast and lunch on the balcony numerous times. While the room was not huge, it was large

enough to not feel claustrophobic whatsoever! We enjoyed every minute spent in our suite and I know you will too! Enjoy!

We will be in suite 1072 in Sept 2014. I am glad to hear that you enjoyed the cabin and finally to know what it looks like. The Century was the first ship I ever cruised on and I am so excited about this trip.

Did you have a good butler and how was the service overall, food, etc. I hoped to have a couple of breakfasts on the balcony too! Thanks for sharing.

Debbie

Love your big review, Mike and Carol! I'm planning to read the whole thing...

Thanks for the reassurance, frakkles, that ours on ten will have the same huge balcony.

Did any of you use the jacuzzi tub?

Here's another question, and I'm debating starting it as a new thread...

I read a lot about suites having an expanded room service menu, or being able to ask the butler to bring almost anything food-wise (from MDR, etc.), and set up parties for friends...

So here's the question: if the butler sets up a party with food and non alcoholic drinks, is there an extra charge?

And, if we ask the butler to bring breakfast to our balcony, and want enough food for our friends (a couple in the inside room across the hall) to join us, is that ok?

Thanks again!

Our first cruise was in a SS on the Century on Deck 10, it was amazing!!!

As far as your question above, if he sets up a little party for you the food will be included, but you may have to pay for a drink set up, even if non-alcoholic beverages are served. Since you have to pay for soft drinks and bottled water and things on board, it's likely you would be charged for whatever you ask for.

Breakfast is a little trickier. The butler will of course bring you (and friends joining you) whatever you put on your room service ticket. I am of the general mindset that when I ask my Butler to serve others not included in his room assignments I tip him extra accordingly. Our butler happily served friends of ours on our last cruise, and I will likely ask the butler on an upcoming cruise to deliver breakfast for my parents staying next door to us. Not saying you have to tip extra, I just feel like since it's not his job to begin with it's nice to do.

I presume you saw the set up that butlers did for the dinner we had while sailing out of Hilo. There was no charge for that and we had our own wine, so there was no additional charge. We did take care of the butlers for their service. It was a wonderful evening.

Debbie/Claymour:

Our butler was named Herman. He was the very best butler we have ever had on a cruise - he was professional and gracious at all times. We truly liked the man!

Yes, do eat your breakfasts out on the balcony. It is such a lovely way to start the day and Herman made our breakfasts quite an event. The flick and snap of his placing

the crisp linen tablecloth on the table, to arranging the dishes and glasses just so, made our breakfasts a memorable experience. Okay, so we are easily entertained!

The food in general was quite good in the MDR and meals on the balcony were delicious! You will enjoy your cruise. Where are you going? We have rebooked the Century

for the 8/24 Alaskan cruise but decided on reserving a back of the ship suite, so as to get the panoramic views. We are hopeful our view will not be of the other ships, but of the scenery!

Have a wonderful cruise!

Denise

Just off the Century yesterday with a Sky Suite on 12. Love the location, loved a quick hop down the stairs to buffet and pool and bar. Room quite roomy and LOTS of space on the balcony. We lived there! Near the aft elevators meant we got on the empty elevator on 12 to head to dinner and by the time we got to 8 it was packed with people waiting to try to squeeze in. Enjoy it!

Sent using the Cruise Critic forums app

We're doing a one week Alaska in July, Denise

Thanks for the report, grandbistro! Love to hear more... Are you doing a review? Curious about martini bar and Michael's club... Craft beers?

Good wines by the glass for premium drink package?

Thanks!

Debbie/Claymour:

Our butler was named Herman. He was the very best butler we have ever had on a cruise - he was professional and gracious at all times. We truly liked the man!

Yes, do eat your breakfasts out on the balcony. It is such a lovely way to start the day and Herman made our breakfasts quite an event. The flick and snap of his placing

the crisp linen tablecloth on the table, to arranging the dishes and glasses just so, made our breakfasts a memorable experience. Okay, so we are easily entertained!

The food in general was quite good in the MDR and meals on the balcony were delicious! You will enjoy your cruise. Where are you going? We have rebooked the Century

for the 8/24 Alaskan cruise but decided on reserving a back of the ship suite, so as to get the panoramic views. We are hopeful our view will not be of the other ships, but of the scenery!

Have a wonderful cruise!

Denise

Denise,

We are going to Alaska, round trip out of San Francisco. We live in Northern Californa so it's so easy to sail out of SF. Hoping it will be warm again like the one I did in 2004. we only had a couple rainy days and we are going at the same time of year again. When we went in 2008 in May it was cooler and rained more.

I am looking forward to breakfast on the balacony....I can hardly wait..booked this last April so the time seems to be moving along quicker now ;-) It is also great to read the good things about the Century, I have such great memories from the first time in 1996.

It looks like you will be getting of the ship when we are getting on as I believe your trip is ending in SF right? Have a great time on your trip too.

Debbie