Partial View?

lindaler

Does anyone have photos showing what a partial view has verses a fully obstructed view? Can anyone talk about windows on the promenade? Do people stand outside the window and block your view? Do they get loud and disturb you inside? Do they try looking in? I know when we have walked the deck on past cruises after dinner you can see into the rooms that don't have their drapes drawn with their lights on, but during the day do people obstruct your view too? We have always had a room on the second deck so were able to keep our curtains open unless in port, but since they have changed the names on the rooms we find ourselves up on the promenade for the first time. Any help would be gratefully appreciated.

I had an HH on the Ryndam Lower Prom Deck. I think they are called "fully obstructed". I could still see the sky and sort-of the ocean (though the ocean was definitely a view from a distance kind of thing). Actually found that cabin to be quieter (under the MDR) than being in a similar location on the next deck down -- no noise from the walkers overhead :) I can't recall ever hearing voices from outside the cabin and when people were standing around, they were at the rail, not in front of my window.

For me the biggest downside was not being able to look down into the water from my cabin window (I can do that for hours :) ).

We've had DD partial view Lower Prom cabins on the Amsterdam (3385), Ryndam (394), Statendam (also 394), and Maasdam (404). The only one I would not book again is the Amsterdam 3385 because we had quite a bit of noise all through the night from heavy carts rolling around above us. In the two 394 cabins we heard some occasional, brief sounds from above, but nothing bad. In 404 we heard nothing from the MDR.

We have never had anyone stand (or even stop) close to the window on any, just over by the railing. No one has ever tried to look in (except me, to our own cabin).

This picture is the view from Maasdam 404 looking slightly aft. Looking straight out from this cabin we did see the solid steel wall of ship superstructure, but in the other DD looking straight out was not blocked at all.

98r0k2.jpg

Partially obstructed are fine cabins, but you you do have a limited view, often sideways.

We've had DDs and Cs on the Lower Prom (walk around deck) on all the R class, on 3 of the 4 S class (old classification system). For serious viewing places like the sail-in to HK and Venice; Glacier Bay, Hubbard Glacier; Panama Canal your view will be blocked by the sheer number of pax out on the deck viewing, sometimes 3 deep! They come and go and walk along.

Washing down the deck in early morning or around 5 pm can cause some noise. Don't really remember hearing people talking, though. If you are near a door to the deck, they sometimes slam shut and you can hear that.

Never had problems with people looking in the window, but at night you do have to close the drapes.

The photo posted is a very good example. Imagine a lot of people standing at the rail and you get the idea of what you would still be able to see.

Edited by SilvertoGold

Washing down the deck in early morning or around 5 pm can cause some noise.

Oh yeah, I forgot about that! Washing the deck itself isn't that bad, but when they've pointed the hose stream at the window to wash it we've been very rudely awakened a few times! :eek: I thought about (but never tried) sticking a sign on the window requesting "PLEASE DON'T WASH EARLY". ;)

Oh yeah, I forgot about that! Washing the deck itself isn't that bad, but when they've pointed the hose stream at the window to wash it we've been very rudely awakened a few times! :eek: I thought about (but never tried) sticking a sign on the window requesting "PLEASE DON'T WASH EARLY". ;)

We were on a 64 day cruise where one couple put a notice on the outside of their window: "No window washing before 9 am!!!!" I guess the crew complied because the notice was not washed away over the course of the cruise!

Hi

I stayed in cabin 3355 on the Amsterdam and never heard any noise. I loved my cabin. I am going back on same deck I could not get same cabin. I am a few cabins down. I hope Its a not completely blocked. Looking at the photo's does anyone know where that blocked area is what cabins do not have the open spaces.

thanks

Mary

Thank you everyone for your comments. And that photo is the best I have seen to explain what a partial view is. I like being close to the walking deck but really loved sitting in our full view window reading and watching views when we had cabins on the lower deck.

I stayed in cabin 3355 on the Amsterdam and never heard any noise. I loved my cabin. I am going back on same deck I could not get same cabin. I am a few cabins down. I hope Its a not completely blocked. Looking at the photo's does anyone know where that blocked area is what cabins do not have the open spaces.

Everything from 3321 back to 3375 have no obstructions. 3377 and 3385 have partial obstruction from the bulkhead as I showed in the pic above. 3379, 3381, and 3383 are directly behind the bulkhead, and so on down the side.