NCL Insurance question

gooch47

We buy our trip insurance through NCL but book our own flights.

If we would have flight delays and it ended up costing us additional airfare or other expenses, would the NCL insurance cover it?

The question to ask, how can someone insure something they know nothing about? Heck, you could have $5,000 air tickets. Insurance is often tied to the actual expense, as known upfront.

Here's the policy:

http://www.ncl.com/sites/default/files/BookSafe-Travel-Protection-Plan_090513.pdf

Best to read and interpret yourself.

If the OP hasn't already purchased the NCL insurance, I would recommend that they shop around. Compare the coverage you are getting with NCL vs. that which you could obtain through other companies.

You might find helpful information here:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/forumdisplay.php?f=635

The question to ask, how can someone insure something they know nothing about? Heck, you could have $5,000 air tickets. Insurance is often tied to the actual expense, as known upfront.

My travel insurance just places a cap on the amount they will cover. For example trip cancellation or trip interruption is $$$/person.

Good point. When we buy other non-cruiseline insurance we've had to give $$$ amounts to determine the premium.

When I asked about insurance from NCL they told me it would about $170 pp. I can get it on my own for about $220 for both of us and that includes the total trip, not just the NCL portion.

And it is affected by both your age and the cost of your cruise. Last trip most were about triple the cost of NCL's insurance. You have to shop for each individual trip.

We travel so much I keep thinking we should look into some kind of yearly full coverage policy.

That's what I have with a specialized credit card and the reason. One yearly rate and it covers the basics of what I will need for most vacations. Then I just have to "top it up" if I think I might require more for a certain vacation. It has a cap to each category but it works for us.

We travel so much I keep thinking we should look into some kind of yearly full coverage policy.

Great idea... first off though, you should review what you REALLY want to cover. Some portions of travel are better off "self insured". Say you travel a dozen times a year and pay for travel interruption every single time. Weight the cost of that vs. just covering it yourself.

If medical evacuation is your concern, then just buy that.

Personally, we have taken the stance that we will deal with our issues ourselves. If you look at all our cruises below, I think we bought insurance once.

Would you consider that risky? Probably

Look at how much money we now have instead of the insurance company though.

This is not for everyone. If you have limited funds, have medical issues, seem to walk in a dark cloud, etc.... then buy the insurance for sure. Or, just for peace of mind. I know all the risks, but opt not to spend my money on it.

Edited by garycarla

Great idea... first off though, you should review what you REALLY want to cover. Some portions of travel are better off "self insured". Say you travel a dozen times a year and pay for travel interruption every single time. Weight the cost of that vs. just covering it yourself.

It also depends on where you are going.

For example, I bought insurance when we went on a cruise in Australia, since if we had a medical problem, it could have run into serious costs to get back to the US.

However, I don't think I'll bother with the Alaska cruise I'm planning. We live in California, but we are going to be close to the port several days before the ship leaves. We could walk from the hotel to the ship in a couple hours if we really needed to :D

Since we'll be in the US most the time and don't plan on any crazy excursions (just easy ones), the likelyhood of any significant costs is limited.

CC has provided me a wealth of information about all sorts of things related to cruising and travel. One thing it got me looking into was insurance. Up to this point, we've always purchased one-time policies through insuremytrip dot com. However, I've discovered that a credit card I already hold (an airline club credit card) comes with some pretty decent travel coverage. It also includes med-evac, but only to the closest available hospital.

Now I'm thinking I'll just rely on the card's coverage and self insure for anything over that, and then get one of the annual med-evac policies that allow you to be transported to the hospital of your choice.