Ocho Rios in March, on the Freedom

Sun4Me2Please

So I have been doing my research on this port, but I have some very mixed feelings on what to expect :confused: My DH, DD, and 3 yr old GD will be with, and I am having a hard time figuring what to do at this port. Any suggestions from those that have been here would be most helpful and appreciated. We are doing the Dolphin excursion in Grand Cayman, so won't be doing that here.

We did Dunnd River Falls and the toboggan excursion, I would recommend whatever you do make sure it is an organized excursion, this is one place we wouldn't go off on our own.

Yes, and this is why I have such mixed feelings.... Is there anything when you get into port that is close to the ship? Beach area ? My guess is we will not be able to find an excursion that would work with the 3 yr old, so thought we would stay close to port.

We go off on our own every time we are in Ocho Rios and everywhere else for that matter. There are two beaches within walking distance of the port. One is just to the east and the other is to the west near Margaritaville. There is a lot of shopping around the port area and plenty of fun restaurants to go to. I would have no problem going to Dunn's River with a three year old, however the child would not be old enough to climb the falls, but there is a beach there and could also play in the falls without climbing them. You could always take turns climbing them. Cab to Dunn's River is $10 per person round trip and the cost to enter is $20 for adults and $12 for children. The cab will come back to pick you up at whatever time you ask him to. Whatever you do don't stay on the ship. Vendors will ask you to buy stuff, if you don't want it say no and keep walking. It's like being at the fair and every game you pass the worker tries very hard to get you to play. Just keep walking.

I know that this is a possibility, but would like to at least get off and do something :)

We were there with our kids last week & tried to walk to Margaritaville. We never made it. Never again. The cabbies were relentless & one starting yelling when I said no thanks. It was actually nice on the ship with most of the passengers gone. We did a plantation tour through the ship a few years ago. Towards the end of the ride back a dude with a three foot machete told me I could "tip" him. Whatever you do just be careful.

We go off on our own every time we are in Ocho Rios and everywhere else for that matter. There are two beaches within walking distance of the port. One is just to the east and the other is to the west near Margaritaville. There is a lot of shopping around the port area and plenty of fun restaurants to go to. I would have no problem going to Dunn's River with a three year old, however the child would not be old enough to climb the falls, but there is a beach there and could also play in the falls without climbing them. You could always take turns climbing them. Cab to Dunn's River is $10 per person round trip and the cost to enter is $20 for adults and $12 for children. The cab will come back to pick you up at whatever time you ask him to. Whatever you do don't stay on the ship. Vendors will ask you to buy stuff, if you don't want it say no and keep walking. It's like being at the fair and every game you pass the worker tries very hard to get you to play. Just keep walking.

Freedom docks in Falmouth. The Margarittaville in Falmouth is at the port...

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

Agree, just at Falmouth last month, it is a brand new shopping area at the pier, clean, safe and a lot different than other Jamaica ports.

OP is cruising on CCL Freedom that docks in Ocho Rios not the RCCL Freedom that docks in Falmouth. They should not use the same names for the ships.

Thanks for the advice :) We tend to not get caught up in excursions, this trip we will do one as a group, otherwise we look at private tours or in safe area's we tend to explore on our own. We have been torn with this port area being we will have the 3 yr old. I will certainly look into this as an option.

Book a tour with Mark Morris.

He is Great. Friendly knowledgeable and very protective.

I have booked with him twice, once was a group of 40 and we

had a great time both trips

Will check his tours out:) Would have to be short, not sure how a 3 yr old will do on a longer one.

Thanks for the advice :) We tend to not get caught up in excursions, this trip we will do one as a group, otherwise we look at private tours or in safe area's we tend to explore on our own. We have been torn with this port area being we will have the 3 yr old. I will certainly look into this as an option.

FYI the options I mentioned would not be through an organized tour. The Dunn's River tour through Carnival is $60 vs $30 on your own. Jamaica is out favorite destination and we will be in Ocho Rios on March 10th on our Victory cruise. We are going to go to Dunn's River (again) and head to The Ocho Rios Jerk Center for lunch. Our children are a little older at 12 and 10, but as long as you are smart (like you would be in any major US city) there would be no issues.

FYI the options I mentioned would not be through an organized tour. The Dunn's River tour through Carnival is $60 vs $30 on your own. Jamaica is out favorite destination and we will be in Ocho Rios on March 10th on our Victory cruise. We are going to go to Dunn's River (again) and head to The Ocho Rios Jerk Center for lunch. Our children are a little older at 12 and 10, but as long as you are smart (like you would be in any major US city) there would be no issues.

I see that :) I know as long as we find a reputable cab co. We can manage fine. I think my daughter will be more insecure and more protective than we are simply because we have done quite a bit of traveling, where she has not.

Thanks again:)

My suggestions are do an excursion that takes you out onto the water! I know I've done a number or sailing/catamaran tours from Ocho Rios. They can be a lot of fun for all ages. You could also do a day pass at an all-inclusive resort. The Sunset Grand Ocho Rios is right near the port (you'd need a taxi, but it's a short ride) and you can enjoy the beach, food, drinks, etc. Great idea for family with littles.

Freedom is not going to Ocho Rios any longer I was told

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

So are you saying the currently booked stops will be canceled? The OP is saying they are supposed to stop there in March. So unless that has changed, they would like info about the port.