Disney Wonder Panama Canal cruise

ilovedaisies

Has anyone done the 15 night Panama Canal Cruise on the Wonder? If so please tell me what you liked and didn't like (if that's even possible) and maybe what ports you liked and didn't like. I can't imagine being on a ship for 15 nights. Also, we have cruised all Disney ships except the Wonder. So we are not sure what to expect with the Wonder. Hoping the food is just as good as all other Disney ships.

I have not done the 15 night cruise of the canal yet. However, I'm considering it if it hits FLR or VGT rates. I'm doing the 9 night Alaska which would be an excellent vehicle for getting out to San Diego then hopping a flight to Seattle for a few days before embarking in Vancouver. As far as the ship, the Wonder is probably one of my most favorite. It's just so quaint and the decor is gorgeous. I also love the Outlook Café. Very unique to the Wonder.

As far as ports you'll hit, the one's I've visited are Key West, Cozumel, Puerto Vallarta. I can do without Key West...I've been there plenty of times. Just a 4.5 hr drive for me. Pancho's Backyard in Cozumel is probably the best bar/restaurant on the strip where the ship docks. It's really not "on" the strip, it's about 8 blocks down the strip...but it's great food and drinks...and not as rowdy as Señor Frogs or Carlos & Charlie's. But I would def go back and buy some tequila from Cozumel. Cava Antigua has some pretty amazing tequilas and are not ridiculously priced.

Maybe I'll see ya on the ship...depending on the pricing. :)

We did the DCL West Bound Panama Canal last May and had a great time. We LOVE the longer DCL cruises, we also did the WB Transatlantic in 2010 and will be on the Transatlantic in September. The longer cruises are very relaxing and give you a chance to get to know some other passengers and crew members.

Our ports were Castaway Cay, Cartagena, (the Canal Transit), Puerto Vallarta & Cabo. We really enjoyed all of them. If you have any questions about our excursions, just ask. The transit is a fascinating day; don't miss the lectures on the canal leading up to the transit.

We also love the Wonder. The Outlook Cafe/bar is our favorite spot on any DCL ship. The crew on the Wonder on the PC cruise was the best of our nine DCL cruises! The two newer ships are too crowded for us; we like the Magic but the service on the 'new' Magic was not up to par when we were on her.

BTW, we waited for VGT rates and had a balcony cabin for $1400 per person.

What. Are FLR and VGT rates?

zbkurtz:

FLR: Florida Resident Rates

I/O/VGT: Inside/Outside/Verandah Guaranteed

These are restricted rate staterooms usually offered to fill the ship closer to the sail date if they have enough staterooms available. Looking at the sailing, DCL has released OGT rates already. These rates have strict rules associated with them. You're guaranteed a stateroom in the inside/outside/verandah categories. You won't know till a few days before sailing what stateroom you are in.

We've done a westbound Panama Canal crossing on the Magic as well as 3 trans-Atlantics, B2B 12 night Meds, etc. LOTS of long cruises.

Honestly the long cruises are the best.

The food on DCL is very standardized. What you'll find on the Wonder is exactly the same quality as on the other ships. The difference is that you'll have the basic 7 night menus + an additional 8 nights of menus done especially for this trip. They will resemble the menus used on all long cruises (why re-invent the wheel), but there will be no repeats. Different theme and different menu each night.

What to expect on the Wonder? It is the sister ship to the Magic. Expect it to be almost the same as the Magic was before the last dry dock. Different decor, but only slightly different.

Ports--have not been constant from year to year. We loved Curacao. We were less thrilled with the Mexican ports where the authorities searched our bags as we left the ship and literally threw away ALL food and beverages including bottled water. Their idea was to "encourage" us to contribute to their local economy; our response was to return to the ship and not eat or drink a bite of local food! DCL will alter ports if the safety reports get too bad (which has happened on the Mexican west coast!.

The narration thru the canal was BORING. The person brought on board to do the pre-canal talks was far more interesting. Not sure why 2 different people, but....

The special entertainment brought on board for us was great.

Did you all use Disney's transportation from Miami airport to port and from port to San Diego airport? Some have used limo's. I'm even wondering about finding a hotel for the night before in Miami that will also offer a shuttle to the port. Do any of you know if that option exists?

Sent from my iPad using Forums

There are many ways to get from a hotel to the port and from the port to you ultimate destination. Options include a rental car, a hotel with a shuttle service, a towncar/limo service, a taxi, and DCL transportation. At the end of the cruise, the same options apply. Each has advantages and disadvantages in terms of cost and convenience...and what works for a large family may not be cost effective for a group of 2.

Your first decision is likely to be where to stay the night before. Do you want a hotel with a shuttle to the terminal? Or is a taxi reasonable based on distance? Or will you opt to return to the airport and catch the DCL bus? Or if you rent a car, can you drop it off near the cruise terminal and does the car company offer a shuttle back to the port?

After the cruise, are you heading home? Or will you visit that park in Anaheim? Or something else?

Finally, limo's what?

I've been using a new car service for the past 2 years when I need a car. If you are looking for a descent priced towncar or suv to transport you, check out Uber. They're a tech start up that has a web based or iPhone/Android app. They are all over the country and act as a interface between you and the car service. The best part, you know up front what your fare is going to be. You arrange a car with Uber and they send the car to you. You're never asked for payment or a tip from the driver. It's all billed via Uber. Very friendly, fast, and convenient!

They're not avail in Miami yet, but I used them in San Diego before. I just did an estimate for the cruise terminal, as of 10:30am EST, they have 4 towncars and 2 SUV's in the vicinity available with an approximate 6-10 minute arrival time. And a fare of $16-$22 including tip.

It's a great service if you're in need of one, I highly recommend. If interested, check them out online at http://www.uber.com or your App Store. Also they're running a promo for new users, $20 in credit for new customers. So pretty much your ride back to the airport in San Diego is paid for. The promo code is: qn1mq.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I love Disney, but I have to say, unless sailing with kids, the Panama Canal transit would probably not be a preferred route for them. I'd do Princess or Celebrity. I think they have better port offerings and a better naturalist programs.i The ships that do the Canal are the best in the Princess fleet, and they offer a lot more options. Disney only does a couple per year, which also keeps the price higher.

Now, if doing the run with Kids, Disney is a no-brainer.

Did you all use Disney's transportation from Miami airport to port and from port to San Diego airport? Some have used limo's. I'm even wondering about finding a hotel for the night before in Miami that will also offer a shuttle to the port. Do any of you know if that option exists?

Sent from my iPad using Forums

We are on the May 2014 PC cruise. We got a great rate ($117 including tax if I remember correctly.

It includes breakfast, airport transport and cruiseport transfers at no additional charge.

Loonbeam, This DCL PC cruise is a bargain.

In fact, it was cheaper than Celebrity (for us anyway).:)

If you can get a great rate, all the better. It's more of a Repo cruise for Disney, they just don't have some of the options other lines do. But a canal transit is a canal transit.

We are on the May 2014 PC cruise. We got a great rate ($117 including tax if I remember correctly.

It includes breakfast, airport transport and cruiseport transfers at no additional charge.

Loonbeam, This DCL PC cruise is a bargain.

In fact, it was cheaper than Celebrity (for us anyway).:)

• 2 months later...

Are there many kids on the PC cruises? I know it is a very long time, especially if parents have to take their kids out of school. We would be traveling with a 5 yo if/when we go -- just wondering if he would have enough playmates on board or if he would feel lonely at all during such a long voyage.

Are there many kids on the PC cruises? I know it is a very long time, especially if parents have to take their kids out of school. We would be traveling with a 5 yo if/when we go -- just wondering if he would have enough playmates on board or if he would feel lonely at all during such a long voyage.

How many kids can your kid play with at one time? On our cruise there were 400 kids on board (compared with 1000 on a more typical 7 night cruise per the ACD). Best of all, there were only 15 teens, all of whom were really neat kids.

Yes, there were kids in the programming always....just not hundreds of them! In reality, your child probably plays with 2-3 other kids at any given time unless there is a group activity in progress. If you are playing with 3 or even 8 others, it doesn't matter whether there are 0 or 300 occupying the nearby space.

Did the EBPC last year with my 2 boys, then aged 6 and 9. There are enough kids that they can make friends, but not so many that the clubs are busy. Perfect IMHO.

I was on the first Panama taking Wonder to California. It was after school started so kids were at 200. More seniors then families. Made for a quiet trip but the Sailaway and Pirate party was also quiet. I got sick once we hit the Pacific as it was rocky. Entertainment was good but TV never changed for 14 days and the Cruise Director was stuck on himself. The Wonder has been remodeled and is very nice. I was on it last year. Going through the Panama was exciting and educational. Wear sun Screen!