When is the closest to sail date did you book?

IMKTDQT810

I'm taking a step back and going to stop stressing on hoping that my sister and kids get to come on the cruise with us. Long story short she is planning on going to court next week to file a motion to take the kids on the cruise. We sail in 4 months and the motion alone will prolly take 1 month, if not longer knowing her ex.

So, I'm going to stop trying to stress and hoping it all works out she will book in enough time to make the trip. If not, all her hard work is for nothing. She doesn't care where she is as long as they are on board and was going to book an inside guarantee.

So, how close to sailing did you book and what type of category was still open TO book?

Thanks!!

We usually book a year or more ahead of time.

Below booked the Star Princess one week before the Alaskan cruise.

Booked the INSPIRATION a couple of months ago, 5 days before the cruise.

Booked the IMAGINATION about 3 weeks before the cruise.

Booked the INSPIRATION (again) 9 days before the cruise.

Traditionally, when I was in business, I would only book my cruise 3-5 days before the cruise as that was when I could find a "window" where I could be away for a week. (and not have everything crash and burn in my absence :rolleyes:)

I'm taking a step back and going to stop stressing on hoping that my sister and kids get to come on the cruise with us. Long story short she is planning on going to court next week to file a motion to take the kids on the cruise. We sail in 4 months and the motion alone will prolly take 1 month, if not longer knowing her ex.

So, I'm going to stop trying to stress and hoping it all works out she will book in enough time to make the trip. If not, all her hard work is for nothing. She doesn't care where she is as long as they are on board and was going to book an inside guarantee.

So, how close to sailing did you book and what type of category was still open TO book?

Thanks!!

I have booked several cruises on the same day as departure. I lived 5 minutes from port.

I booked the Pride 20 hours out 4 years ago. You can book up until embarkation day, you just have to call CCL to do it.

I will warn you it's not always cheap to book last minute. We ended up paying $700pp (3 people) for a regular balcony mid-ship in the middle of a blizzard. It is all they had left.

Oh my goodness - some of you booking the day of or the day before - I'd go crazy because I'm a planner!

Just booked our cruise for next week on Monday so that was 12 days out which is unheard of for us and I'm stressing. We always book at least 12 months out if not longer. Opportunity arose for this cruise and we took it - first vacation in 19 years without kids - I'll probably be lost but I think I might enjoy it if I can get over missing them.

Great thread OP!

our last cruise on RCCL Enchantment we booked a couple week out. We like to cruise insides so that is what we chose. There were other categories open also. The only thing we didn't like was we had to take anytime dining. We were able to get our traditional late seating once we spoke to the Maitred onboard.

On Thursday morning, we got some good news that inspired us to stop talking about it and actually go on a cruise. Friday we picked the ship & itinerary. Saturday morning we went to the travel agent and booked a balcony. A week from Sunday, we boarded a flight for Tampa for the Legend.

That was our first one. It'd be a couple more trips before we found CC and we had no idea what we were getting into, but we loved it and have done many more since, usually on much longer notice.

Three years ago my mom was at the last stages of Cancer. While talking to her on the phone she said how she would have liked to go on one last cruise. I called my sisters to make sure it would be ok with them, and then called my agent. I was booked at ten that night and drove to Charleston SC to pick her up and had her on the boat in Jacksonville the next day by twelve. If there is an open room they will be happy to sell it to you. Mom passed two weeks later, she was very happy to have had the time to do it one last time. I have been on six since then and I always book within thirty days of my sailing. I leave on the Legend on the 23rd to continue my effort to spread her ashes on 100 beaches. Tell your sister to try to talk to a woman when she books and explain her situation, she might be surprised by how much someone who might sympathize with her might be able to do for her. I hope all works out for you.

Three years ago my mom was at the last stages of Cancer. While talking to her on the phone she said how she would have liked to go on one last cruise. I called my sisters to make sure it would be ok with them, and then called my agent. I was booked at ten that night and drove to Charleston SC to pick her up and had her on the boat in Jacksonville the next day by twelve. If there is an open room they will be happy to sell it to you. Mom passed two weeks later, she was very happy to have had the time to do it one last time. I have been on six since then and I always book within thirty days of my sailing. I leave on the Legend on the 23rd to continue my effort to spread her ashes on 100 beaches. Tell your sister to try to talk to a woman when she books and explain her situation, she might be surprised by how much someone who might sympathize with her might be able to do for her. I hope all works out for you.

I am so happy you were able to take her on that cruise:) It sounds like something my DH & I would ask for!

My sister and I once booked a cruise 2 days before it left. It was during the Swine Flu scare and they switched itineraries, so everyone was canceling. It was dirt cheap and the ship sailed less than 1/2 full. It was AWESOME! I am a huge planner, but I just used my lists from a cruise we went on 3 months prior and it was easy...