On Westerdam now. Just finished dinner at Pinnacle Grill

flhawkeye

We are not counting on being able to get the Caesar salad like we are used to.

Each ship will have their own rules -- HAL is known not to be consistent on many things.

And, product consistency was once a hallmark of Holland America Line.

I have to say as someone who is a big fan of Pinnacle Grill and typically eat there all but on night on a cruise, I was WORRIED after all the negative posts about the new menu. Our waiter Alfredo was fantastic. We discussed the Caesar salad issue. He asked me to try it and if I did not like it he would make it the old way, of course not table side. I was pleasantly surprised. It was good and different. I actually enjoyed it, much to my surprise. The petite filet was outstanding! One table mate who is an MD said it was the best filet she has ever eaten. The sauces were as good as always. The mushroom side and wilted spinich sides were wonderful as well. The only disappointment was the vanilla soufflé. I think it was underdone, but I was so full it did not really matter. Service was outstanding from every person. Excellent wine steward as well. Eating there five more nights this cruise so stay tuned and stop worrying. It was a wonderful evening.

From someone else that eats there often, this was good news. Thanks so much for posting.

OP said the Caesar presented in a new way was good and he enjoyed it. Sometimes trying something new can be a pleasant surprise. Maybe others would like it, too, if they didn't make up their minds beforehand not to like it. If they end up not liking it truly it is not the end of the world. ;)

Agree. I'll try the new Caesar preparation as has been recently described. However, in another thread, this is how the Caesar was served:

"Caesar salad: 3 romaine leaves (I swear in a glass), kind of like a dipping hors d'oeuvre."

That one didn't sound appealing to me at all, but served in a Parmesan bowl seems "doable". :)

I am happy to report that after 2 dinners and 2 breakfasts so far the Pinnacle has been AMAZING! Outstanding service from everyone and food has been fantastic. The steak tartare was fantastic. I love the staff. Chocolate soufflé was perfect last night. Doing Canaletto tonight, otherwise staying at Pinnacle every night. I will report back.

And it sounds less steak house and more "we don't know where we wanted to go with this".

If a change is being made make it special.....

Just my impression, haven't tried it yet.

Can't wait to enjoy it myself!thanks!

3 Star Mariner on HAL

As I mentioned in my last post, we were going to Canaletto last night. Oh, how we missed our Pinnacle Grill. It was loud and service was certainly not up to the Pinnacle standards. The food was OK, but everything seemed to salty to me and I do love salt. We had the meat and cheese salad starter (forget the name) and it was OK to good. We shared the Spaghetti Bolognese and the veal piccata. They were also Ok to good, but nothing truly memorable. We had a table for two with about 6 inches between the adjacent table for two. It was a bit too close and distracting. I think Canaletto is OK once a cruise for a change, but certainly not nearly as good as the Italian specialty restaurants on NCL and nothing like Sabatini's on Priness. The next 4 nights are back to Pinnacle. Stay tuned!

I am happy to report that after 2 dinners and 2 breakfasts so far the Pinnacle has been AMAZING! Outstanding service from everyone and food has been fantastic. The steak tartare was fantastic. I love the staff. Chocolate soufflé was perfect last night. Doing Canaletto tonight, otherwise staying at Pinnacle every night. I will report back.

I hope that this is true about being able to get the chocolate soufflé as it isn't listed on the new menu that was posted on another thread.

As I mentioned in my last post, we were going to Canaletto last night. Oh, how we missed our Pinnacle Grill. It was loud and service was certainly not up to the Pinnacle standards. The food was OK, but everything seemed to salty to me and I do love salt. We had the meat and cheese salad starter (forget the name) and it was OK to good. We shared the Spaghetti Bolognese and the veal piccata. They were also Ok to good, but nothing truly memorable. We had a table for two with about 6 inches between the adjacent table for two. It was a bit too close and distracting. I think Canaletto is OK once a cruise for a change, but certainly not nearly as good as the Italian specialty restaurants on NCL and nothing like Sabatini's on Priness. The next 4 nights are back to Pinnacle. Stay tuned!

The last time we went to a Canaletto was on the Maasdam and there was only about 6 inches between the tables for 2 on that ship as well.

Didn't like that.