Magic Mess!

landfarm

I don't know that I fully agree with everyone on this (just my opinion as a cruising newbie) planes are late all the time and they still load with certain "priority levels"

You're comparing apples and oranges (in this case, more like a grape with a watermelon!) You can't compare boarding of an airplane with maybe 150 passengers, 16 of which will have priority boarding, with a cruise ship carrying 4,700 passengers. The logistics are COMPLETELY different.

You can get an airplane easily boarded in 20 minutes in most circumstances with only one or two agents working at the gate. The First Class / Priority boarding takes all of 2 minutes. On a cruise ship the size of the Magic, embarkation usually takes a few hours and requires a considerable larger number of people. The logistics are completely different.

And here's an important difference. Even if an airplane is delayed, you're still going to your destination. They don't say "Sorry, but since we left late, we don't have time to fly all the way to Miami so we are going to drop you off in Orlando instead". On a cruise ship, if the ship leaves too late, one of your ports of call is probably being canceled or replaced with either another port or a day at sea.

The right decision really was to maintain the integrity of the itinerary by getting the ship out as quickly as possible, rather than focusing on trivial things that would've satisfied briefly a handful of passengers, but that could've ultimately affected ALL passengers negatively, including those "priority" passengers.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

Edited by Tapi

Surprised the terminal people did that since all it would mean is two agents checking in platinum and a separate line. Maybe something I don't know.

Something tells me that by the time boarding started, they were already short handed. I bet more than a few workers went home and had Super Bowl parties to either host or attend. Just a wild guess.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

Why are you blaming Carnival for this? Port Authority has total control of situations such as this. Carnival is at their mercy, just as your wife is. And no one involved can control fog. I'm sure that the people working for the Port Authority just want to get everyone on the ship as quickly as possible, and that means no class segregation and no priority boarding.

I don't know that I fully agree with everyone on this (just my opinion as a cruising newbie) planes are late all the time and they still load with certain "priority levels" ---I also don't think comparing this to an emergency situation in which life boats are needed is fair- this isn't am emergency at all- its just a really inconvenient set back

I assume that even though the ultimate goal is to get everyone on board as quickly as possible that it still isn't some free for all surge to the ship so I guess it confuses me that they wouldn't still board is some sort of an orderly fashion (maybe I am not clear on how this was handled exactly)

If I were someone with priority boarding I would still kind of expect to be one of the first people to get on the ship...I may not expect to have my room immediately or luggage immediately or even before anyone else though. I could be forgiving of that.

I think in a situation like this as much inconvenience as it would be- I would not want any crew rushing through anything having to do with ship turnover.

With the 2 cases of Noro on ships this past month I don't want anything making ships "hurry through" anything- but I am sure that happens in cases where they are trying to appease customers.

I hope the rest of her trip is wonderful though.

This.

Edited by crusinpsychRN