Magic Mess!

landfarm

My wife and several thousand of her friends are stuck at the port of Galveston, with no food, no water, and three working restrooms. The ship was late due to fog, (understandable), but when I spoke with her at 7:00pm, she was told that they were not going to honor platinum status due to a "fog emergency" and that they would be stuck in the terminal and have to wait their turn in line with everyone else. When I spoke to Carnival customer service, I was told that that was a terminal decision they could not control. In my opinion, the Diamond/Platinum members should still have priority boarding. This has left a bad taste in our mouth concerning Carnival. Why have a loyalty program if you get treated like this?

I think they're in the right. Under normal circumstances, then yes, have them board first. But considering everyone is in the same predicament, no one should be treated higher/better than another.

Sent from my GT-P5210 using Tapatalk

Why have a loyalty program if you get treated like this?

The nerve! :rolleyes:

In my opinion, this is an extraordinary situation that requires extraordinary handling. Their goal is now to get the ship out as quickly and efficiently as possible and I'm assuming that trying to prioritize boarding based on "loyalty" status would hinder that goal.

Would you be protesting if there was a more serious emergency that required evacuating the ship and they wouldn't allow Platinums to take the lifeboats first? :cool:

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

Edited by Tapi

I completely understand what you're saying, but if they are in an emergency situation then they must follow whatever procedures they have in place for that situation. I'm sure if I were in her shoes I would not be happy at all about it, but after I assessed the situation a bit further I would perhaps try to understand.

Don't blame Carnival. They can't control the terminal decisions. At least she will be able to get on the ship tonight, in the past there has been one or two occasions when the ship could not even come in.

I've been on the other end, arriving late back in Galveston due to fog and not having our "priority" disembarkation working. Whether we disembarked early or not, we would have missed our flight. This is a risk of sailing out of Galveston this time of year.

Are they still boarding?

I thought departure was scheduled for 8:30.

B

She is still at the pier..........

I feel bad for everyone involved, especially on this particular Sunday.....

Galveston is my homeport and I've been fog delayed more than once out of there. It's just something that we live with.

I'm also Diamond, but completely understand when this much of a delay has occurred that boarding priority kind of goes out the window.......I'm sure they just want to get everyone on board as soon as possible and be on their way....

http://webcams.galveston.com/docs/pier23/pier23.jpg?1391397736321

Edited by okgirl

I just checked the weather in Galveston on khou.com.........it's 42 degrees with 25mph winds from the NNW........visibility is 10 miles.........

I'm thinking they won't leave until either the wind dies down (in the middle of the night) or around daybreak.......

I don't see any news on Carnival updating the situation..........I don't know anyone on the ship this week........

My wife and several thousand of her friends are stuck at the port of Galveston, with no food, no water, and three working restrooms. The ship was late due to fog, (understandable), but when I spoke with her at 7:00pm, she was told that they were not going to honor platinum status due to a "fog emergency" and that they would be stuck in the terminal and have to wait their turn in line with everyone else. When I spoke to Carnival customer service, I was told that that was a terminal decision they could not control. In my opinion, the Diamond/Platinum members should still have priority boarding. This has left a bad taste in our mouth concerning Carnival. Why have a loyalty program if you get treated like this?

Not sure what you expect Carnival to do for her. Eventually everyone will get one - don't worry about what you can't control.

I don't know that I fully agree with everyone on this (just my opinion as a cruising newbie) planes are late all the time and they still load with certain "priority levels" ---I also don't think comparing this to an emergency situation in which life boats are needed is fair- this isn't am emergency at all- its just a really inconvenient set back

I assume that even though the ultimate goal is to get everyone on board as quickly as possible that it still isn't some free for all surge to the ship so I guess it confuses me that they wouldn't still board is some sort of an orderly fashion (maybe I am not clear on how this was handled exactly)

If I were someone with priority boarding I would still kind of expect to be one of the first people to get on the ship...I may not expect to have my room immediately or luggage immediately or even before anyone else though. I could be forgiving of that.

I think in a situation like this as much inconvenience as it would be- I would not want any crew rushing through anything having to do with ship turnover.

With the 2 cases of Noro on ships this past month I don't want anything making ships "hurry through" anything- but I am sure that happens in cases where they are trying to appease customers.

I hope the rest of her trip is wonderful though.

Can not understand how I see this as Carnival's fault. Carnival leasses the dock and terminal from the goverment agency that runs the port. Ie: here in Boston Masport. Which allows the cruisse line to dock and use the terminal at set hours. Anything other then those hours the port controls how things are handled. You most likely would never see it happend but if the ship was due to depart at 4:30 and was being delayed the port could say sorry we need the dock. Away you go.

The nerve! I'd demand restitution!

:-/

LOL! Since Carnival has determined that priority embarkation and debarkation are worth $50, perhaps Carnival will give the platinum and diamond guests a $50 shipboard credit per cabin. :rolleyes: :p