Sailing out of Vancouver

mercedes28

This is my first Carnival cruise and I'm wondering if we can walk on with our luggage like you can with Princess when sailing out of Vancouver? Is it up to the cruise line or port to determine this? I seem to have not so good luck with checking baggage so would prefer to carry luggage on with me. But if I have to check with Carnival then I will pack my carry on appropriately.

So, who's sailed out of Vancouver BC and can help a worry wort answer this question?

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

I have not cruised out of Vancouver.....however, all check in bag areas are the same. Your luggage has to fit through their x-ray scanners. So, if you have all carry on luggage, it is no problem at all. You are the one that has to lug it around until your cabin is ready. If you have the 25/26/28 inch luggage, this may be a different story. :)

That's why I'm wondering. In Vancouver we did not have to X-ray any luggage at all. So is it that Princess was lacking in security or the port?

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

Really? Wow. Now I am curious. Hopefully someone that has cruised out of Vancouver can answer your question. Have never been on a cruise that our carry on luggage was not scanned.

We sailed out of Vancouver in April. Bags were x-rayed in the cruise terminal. As an earlier poster stated, carryon sized bags will fit thru the scanners.

If you can, spend an extra day or two in Vancouver, it's a wonderful city! Have a great cruise.

That's why I'm wondering. In Vancouver we did not have to X-ray any luggage at all. So is it that Princess was lacking in security or the port?

Hey Mercedes -

We are on the same sailing as you. The last time I sailed out of Vancouver BC was in 2005 and that was on Norwegian. I remember our first step was going through the x-ray scanners before immigration and checking in. Did they get rid of the scanners? Last time, there were 3 ships there and it was chaos. Crowds and lines everywhere and everyone's computers kept going down.

Dave

In my experience in May 2013, the procedure in Vancouver's Canada Place for all cruise lines was:

1. All pax regardless of cruise line go through Port Security who xrays your carry-ons.

2. All pax regardless of cruise line go through US Immigration.

3. If the cruise lines are not ready to do check-ins yet, all pax from all cruise lines wait in an area with folding chairs. When check-in areas are ready, the strict but friendly on-shore personnel dismiss you in orderly fashion, row by row. This may not apply to you if you arrive after the crush...

4. You go to the specified area for your cruise line where you through check-in. My cruise line, which does not ban the bringing of alcohol onboard, did not examine my carry-ons when I boarded on embarkation day right after check-in. Your cruise line may have different rules.

I agree with a previous poster about chaos when there are 3 ships there. There is no good separation of incoming and outgoing pax, and no separation by cruise line until the very end of the process. A sea of people...

We sailed Disney out of Vancouver in Sept 2012. I don't remember the X-ray either? We had a rolling carry on full of beer and soda because its allowed with Disney but if xrayed, i guess it was quick and painless and it was no big deal.