Specialty restaurants and tasting menu?

ashik08

We did aqualina and the connoisseur dinner. Aqualina was superb. Best lobster Thermidor I ever had. The connoisseur dinner was one the best meals I have ever had. I highly recommend every eatery on board. The MDR was 5 star as well, truly. I cannot wait to get back on AZ. Here is pic of the menu from the connoisseur dinner.ImageUploadedByForums1391534133.993711.jpg.6b453b426afaf1e306e902345fa209ed.jpg

Edited by Jtd724

We did aqualina and the connoisseur dinner. Aqualina was superb. Best lobster Thermidor I ever had. The connoisseur dinner was one the best meals I have ever had. I highly recommend every eatery on board. The MDR was 5 star as well, truly. I cannot wait to get back on AZ. Here is pic of the menu from the connoisseur dinner.[ATTACH]300986[/ATTACH]

Agree, the only other advise I would give is if going to the connoisseur dinner, eat lightly during the day and hold back on the wonderful breads they serve at the beginning of the meal. It is a lovely experience

We did all 3 Chef's Table dinners (Italian, French and Californian) on our most recent cruise. The meals are excellent and the wine pairings are truly outstanding and plentiful. The chef will explain the menu and come back several times during the meal to add comments and get feedback. The someliers provide extensive backgrounds on the wines they have paired with the menu. Usually one of the senior officers will host the table, which can accomodate 12. The cost is $95 and I consider it a bargain. You will get to meet like minded guests who really appreciate good food, wine, and each others company. It will take about 3 hours to complete, but it is a most enjoyable evening.

We did all 3 Chef's Table dinners (Italian, French and Californian) on our most recent cruise. The meals are excellent and the wine pairings are truly outstanding and plentiful. The chef will explain the menu and come back several times during the meal to add comments and get feedback. The someliers provide extensive backgrounds on the wines they have paired with the menu. Usually one of the senior officers will host the table, which can accomodate 12. The cost is $95 and I consider it a bargain. You will get to meet like minded guests who really appreciate good food, wine, and each others company. It will take about 3 hours to complete, but it is a most enjoyable evening.

That sounds wonderful.. we recently did the Chefs table on Princess.. while the food was very good the wine pairings were less than adequate. A big disappointment for me since I'm a true Oenophile...:D

Do you have sample menu? For instance they paired the Mushroom risotto with an inferior Pinot Grigo... OMG..

CC

Here's the last Italian dinner menu :

Chilled Crab Panzanella Salad / Ferdi Santori Veneto, 2010

Zuppa di Radice di Sedano / Pinot Grigio Bottega Vinaia, Trentino 2013

Home Made Black Pepper Tagliatelle / Sasyr IGT,Tuscany 2009

Limoncello Sorbet

Olive Oil Poached Halibut / Cervaro Castello della Salla, Antinori, 2009 OR

Roasted Veal Medallion / Chianti Classico, Frescabaldi, Tuscany 2009

Selection of Cheese, Artisan Bread, Fruits and Nuts / Port Fonseca LBV, Portugal 2007

Chocolate Amaretto Pasana Cotta / Vinsanto del Chianti, Antorini, Tuscany 2008

Chef Robert was kind to give us the recipes that were outstanding, including the soup(with crisp prosciutto and truffle arancini) and the Halibut (with broccolini,black polenta and balsamic jus). Enjoy!

We did aqualina and the connoisseur dinner. Aqualina was superb. Best lobster Thermidor I ever had. The connoisseur dinner was one the best meals I have ever had. I highly recommend every eatery on board. The MDR was 5 star as well, truly. I cannot wait to get back on AZ. Here is pic of the menu from the connoisseur dinner.[ATTACH]300986[/ATTACH]

Is the connoisseur dinner something new? I was not aware of this on our 2012 cruise or did I somehow miss something?:confused: Are only certain pax aware of it?

Is the connoisseur dinner something new? I was not aware of this on our 2012 cruise or did I somehow miss something?:confused: Are only certain pax aware of it?

They have been doing them for two years or so, so you must have missed the announcement in the dailies. They are also mentioned in the handout at the start of the cruise that covers the rotation of buffets and the entertainment.

Beyond that, in line with Azamaras policy there is very little product hawking other than perhaps the sommelier or Maître D in a speciality might mention it to guests they think might enjoy it based on reactions they have given to food or wine or conversations they have had.

Just shows how carefully you have to read everything on board to avoid missing things these days!

Here's the last Italian dinner menu :

Chilled Crab Panzanella Salad / Ferdi Santori Veneto, 2010

Zuppa di Radice di Sedano / Pinot Grigio Bottega Vinaia, Trentino 2013

Home Made Black Pepper Tagliatelle / Sasyr IGT,Tuscany 2009

Limoncello Sorbet

Olive Oil Poached Halibut / Cervaro Castello della Salla, Antinori, 2009 OR

Roasted Veal Medallion / Chianti Classico, Frescabaldi, Tuscany 2009

Selection of Cheese, Artisan Bread, Fruits and Nuts / Port Fonseca LBV, Portugal 2007

Chocolate Amaretto Pasana Cotta / Vinsanto del Chianti, Antorini, Tuscany 2008

Chef Robert was kind to give us the recipes that were outstanding, including the soup(with crisp prosciutto and truffle arancini) and the Halibut (with broccolini,black polenta and balsamic jus). Enjoy!

That is really nice.. Princess had Hors D'oeuvres in the galley with Nicolas Feuillatte Champagne

The Porcini Mushroom Risotto was paired with Danzante Pinot Grigio...

The dinner of Tenderloin,Lamb and Lobster and Scallops paired with Oberon Merlot....:eek:

I had a great experience but would not do the Chefs table again with them. Do you get to see the menu/wine before you commit?

Thanks in advance

CC

They have had these dinners longer than that. We attended one in 2009 and another in 2011. They were called wine connoisseur dinners and we learned of them from a sommelier.

You are so right, cannot believe is 5 years since I started with Azamara and had my first special dinner, somehow three years ago stuck in my brain

The sommeliers for the specialty restaurants can provide the planned menu. They are the ones responsible for signing up the guests as well as inviting the host officer. We asked that Philip be the host for the last dinner that we did. We all had a wonderful time. They will assign the seating arrangements and provide name cards, which certainly helps people and the waiters to get to know everyone quickly. The back of the menu is printed with the names of the guests attending the event. Overall a memorable evening.

They have been doing them for two years or so, so you must have missed the announcement in the dailies. They are also mentioned in the handout at the start of the cruise that covers the rotation of buffets and the entertainment.

Beyond that, in line with Azamaras policy there is very little product hawking other than perhaps the sommelier or Maître D in a speciality might mention it to guests they think might enjoy it based on reactions they have given to food or wine or conversations they have had.

Just shows how carefully you have to read everything on board to avoid missing things these days!

I was probably too busy or too worried about missing any tender boats for our shore excursions...not to mention a little brain dead the first part of the cruise with jet lag. :o :confused: It was also our very first cruise. Believe me...this will go into my notes of things not to miss on our next cruise.