Missed boarding Getaway 2/3 in NYC

Ctrix65513

Get that insurance bought BEFORE your final payment date. That can change the whole ballgame, if it's after your final payment date.

And as Cruisin6 says, when you purchase the cruiseline insurance and they go belly up, the insurance usually isn't any good.

There was a story in the news a few years ago, that a family paid something like $100,000 for a World Cruise, but when they reached Singapore (I think, but it could have been Hong Kong) the cruiseline went belly up and they were left high and dry, having to pay exhorbitant for hotel and flight home.

And this is why you don't buy the cruise lines insurance you buy from a totally unrelated third party insurer as there is a good chance that the insurer would know about financial issues and may have already have put that cruise line line on their uninsurable list.

At least you know it upfront

Edited by Crusin6

Guess I'm the only one who finds Cruise Critic therapeutic ;-)

Just read a post that out of the 500 or so people schedule to sail on that cruise, around 100 missed the ship due to flights being delayed or cancelled. So you definitely weren't alone!

Just an update as you all where so nice in responding:

I was able to get my hotel in Nassau refunded via Priceline Name Your Own Price- which I thought was 100% final sale. Alaska Airlines offered to redeposit the miles for the two one ways flights home from Nassau for $25 after explaining my situation as a goodwill gesture. Might help that I do business with both companies a lot.

I booked my flight to NYC last minute using British Airway miles on American. They always have tons of availability nonstop from Chicago. This past Monday was no different and they had the first flight of the day into NYC (made the most sense for a Monday departure) although I should've left Sunday looking back. Sunday even with the Super Bowl had mileage flights available but I had to work overnight. Otherwise, I would have tracked the weather better and left then. Risky move I know.

The cruise was ridiculous cheap. My total for 2 in a spa room was $528 with taxes.

Paid to give Priceline and Alaska Airlines a call. They where very understanding and reimbursed me. NCL is unable to do anything after speaking with them but that I understand and accept as this was indeed my fault. I will 100% get the insurance next time. Not just for instances like mine. My loss is nothing compared to if you had to be airlifted, medical, etc.

Edited by Ctrix65513

Well I've been on the fence about buying insurance for my Alaska Cruise coming up in Sept. I'm nearly certain we will be able to go, no health issues, work issues, etc. But after reading this, in case of the unexpected, it sure would be peace of mind. From tripinsurancestore I can get one that will cover our cruise, flights and pre/post hotels for about $135 total for both my wife & I. I think I will make this purchase very soon.

It also covers you if an immediate family member dies. Not that I wish this on you of course but it is a consideration for those of us with elderly parents and grandparents

Edited by Crusin6

Guess I'm the only one who finds Cruise Critic therapeutic ;-)

Just an update as you all where so nice in responding:

I was able to get my hotel in Nassau refunded via Priceline Name Your Own Price- which I thought was 100% final sale. Alaska Airlines offered to redeposit the miles for the two one ways flights home from Nassau for $25 after explaining my situation as a goodwill gesture. Might help that I do business with both companies a lot.

I booked my flight to NYC last minute using British Airway miles on American- they always have tons of availability nonstop from Chicago and for this past Monday they had the first flight of the day into NYC available- obviously made the most sense for leaving Monday although I should've left Sunday. Sunday even with the Super Bowl had mileage flights available but I had to work overnight. Otherwise, I would have tracked the weather better and left then. Risky move looking back.

The cruise was ridiculous cheap. My total for 2 in a spa room was $528 with taxes.

Paid to give Priceline and Alaska Airlines a call. They where very understanding and reimbursed me. NCL is unable to do anything after speaking with them but that I understand and accept as this was indeed my fault. I will 100% get the insurance next time. Not just for instances like mine. My loss is nothing compared to if you had to be airlifted, medical, etc.

Glad to hear you are not losing out completely - and kudos to Priceline and Alaska Airlines for their understanding of the situation. Unfortunately this is one of those situations where you learn more from your mistakes than if everything had gone smoothly. Luckily it didn't cost you a fortune in the long run. Hopefully your next cruise isn't too far off and you will have smooth sailing for it!

Edited by arf2005

Not mentioned in the cruiseline versus outside insurance coverage....

the cruiseline charges one price for all.....the outside insurance can be extremely expensive if the insured is very elderly...they charge according to the age of passenger, in some of the ones I checked....

Not mentioned in the cruiseline versus outside insurance coverage....

the cruiseline charges one price for all.....the outside insurance can be extremely expensive if the insured is very elderly...they charge according to the age of passenger, in some of the ones I checked....

Yes cruise lines do charge everyone the same price but outside agencies usually don't charge for under 18 yo so for a family that works best. I bought the dcl insurance in 2004 because I didn't know any better and it was our first big family trip with all the kids and yes we had to use it as we got caught up in hurricaine Frances it was not until much later that I realized dcl charged about $200 more than travel guard would have and travel guard would have thrown in all the kids for free as they were all under 18

For my money I will not buy cruise line insurance. I prefer a non related third party. For the cost savings as well as the bankruptcy issue. Just mho ymmv

Edited by Crusin6

The bankruptcy issue is not an issue at all. The insurance, though sold by Norwegian, is not provided by them. I believe it is underwritten by Stonebridge. So if Norwegian goes under the policy is still good. But Norwegian isn't going under anytime soon, so you have nothing to worry about.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

This is one of my nightmares - sorry to all who had had it. Our first cruise - same day flight, through ATL, Delta lost the luggage. It made the next flight and made to the room with 5 minutes to spare...:) Next time we flew in the day before to MIA. Much better attitude when I got on-board. Next Month (Love saying that now:D) we are driving to New Orleans, and I plan to leave with a day and a half to spare. One night in Slidel - after making it down 12 hours and then pop into NOLA for a night before sailing.

This is one of my nightmares - sorry to all who had had it. Our first cruise - same day flight, through ATL, Delta lost the luggage. It made the next flight and made to the room with 5 minutes to spare...:) Next time we flew in the day before to MIA. Much better attitude when I got on-board. Next Month (Love saying that now:D) we are driving to New Orleans, and I plan to leave with a day and a half to spare. One night in Slidel - after making it down 12 hours and then pop into NOLA for a night before sailing.

Just a word of warning - make sure nothing big is going on downtown New Orleans the day your ship leaves and if so leave PLENTY of time to drive to the port. It is confusing driving to that port (lots of one way streets) and the traffic can be horrendous. There was a thread a year or so ago about people missing the ship during Mardi Gras week as the traffic was at a standstill and they never made it to the ship.

The bankruptcy issue is not an issue at all. The insurance, though sold by Norwegian, is not provided by them. I believe it is underwritten by Stonebridge. So if Norwegian goes under the policy is still good. But Norwegian isn't going under anytime soon, so you have nothing to worry about.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

That's my understanding as well. The insurance is underwritten by an insurance company, not the cruiseline.

Please tell me this TA really didn't say that. :eek:

He did and I think it made perfect sense. Some people have enough disposable income that it would not be big deal to spend another couple thousand on a vacation. Chalk it up to a gamble they lost.

However, for me, I'd rather pay for insurance and not risk it.

He did and I think it made perfect sense. Some people have enough disposable income that it would not be big deal to spend another couple thousand on a vacation. Chalk it up to a gamble they lost.

But the TA is totally discounting the possibility of needing to be evacuated from the ship in case of a medical emergency.....that could be $50,000 or more and most people are only thinking of the cost of the cruise itself being lost. I may be able to cover the $5,000.00 cruise costs but I don't even want to think about self insuring the $50,000 - $150,000 bill if I need transported from the ship to the mainland for care.

When I think back on our Panama Canal cruise with my 80 something Mom, I shudder!

We did not get insurance, didn't think we would need it, saved the money for spending. (Turned out we did not need it.)

We flew into Los Angeles THE SAME MORNING as the cruise!

We had so much time to spare we actually checked into a nice hotel for a few hours (it was a 6 in the morning flight from SLC to Long Beach) and went swimming and then headed to the ship.

We had a wonderful cruise!

And then I joined Cruise Critic and woke up screaming in the middle of the night! :eek: Think of the things that could easily go wrong!

Now we always buy good insurance and arrive a day early. So much more fun and peaceful! And worry-free!

But the TA is totally discounting the possibility of needing to be evacuated from the ship in case of a medical emergency.....that could be $50,000 or more and most people are only thinking of the cost of the cruise itself being lost. I may be able to cover the $5,000.00 cruise costs but I don't even want to think about self insuring the $50,000 - $150,000 bill if I need transported from the ship to the mainland for care.

Exactly!

Many of us can afford to lose the cost of the cruise, It's even more than just being medi vac'd though that is a huge cost. It would also cover an accident you had in another country, getting ill, lost luggage, etc. That TA gives many of us a bad name.

Many of us can afford to lose the cost of the cruise, It's even more than just being medi vac'd though that is a huge cost. It would also cover an accident you had in another country, getting ill, lost luggage, etc. That TA gives many of us a bad name.

If you travel enough you might consider the merits of an AMEX Platinum (and I think some other non AMEX premium cards). if you purchase the trip with your card it are lots of benefits such as foreign medical evacuation and with a help team to coordinate assistance if needed. I know several senior citizen travelers for whom this is part of their plan.

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app

Thank you for sharing. I can only imagine that was a very difficult pill to swallow. This weather has been insane and my poor girlfriend was stranded in upstate NY for four days as her flights kept getting cancelled over and over again. Very unusual but an enormous lesson learned. I hope that you can take advantage of a much needed replacement vacation very soon.