Princess Secrets 2014!!!

lw4484

Princess would probably kill me for saying this but I found that you could access the Ruby Thermal Spa from the pool right near the Sanctuary. Me and my girlfriend both bought the Spa passes for $69 each and used it 2-3 times. After our spa sessions (steam room, sauna, etc) we would head out to the pool. We later realized that anybody could access the pool. The doors right outside the pool open to the spa. You can just walk right in and head downstairs to the thermal spa area like you own the joint. This may have just been an exception for our short 4-day cruise to Grand Turk. Both steam rooms were great as were the heated chairs. Great place to relax and read a book. For me, a great hangover remedy lol!

Only got a few so here they are...

1) Parts of the carpet are a different color (red or blue) depending on what side of the ship you are on. Use this to make sure your looking for your room on the correct side.

2) We put fun magnets on our door so that our kids and older family members can find the room easier. Still check the number before trying to enter because kids move the magnets sometimes.

3) The bakery stand in the main lobby have panini. You just have to ask for them.

4) Are you in an inside room with no windows? Gets pitch dark in there. When you wake up, turn on the TV and look at the camera on the front of the ship to see if its daylight out.

5) They come around the main deck at 3pm with trays of warm, fresh cookies and ice cold milk. Its pretty wonderful!

6) Ask the steward for a gallon of water when you get on. They will deliver a sealed gallon to your cabin free of charge. We got some for our Grandma to drink.

7) Not sure if you like something in the dining room? Ask for a taste. Our son wasn't sure about a dish and we told him not to order it and waste it. The waiter brought a sample for him. Probably won't do this with steak or lobster.

8) You can eliminate, reduce or enlarge your tip at the end of the cruise by talking with the front desk. Keep in mind how hard everyone has worked to keep you happy all week.

9) When your at port and buy a bottle of alcohol, you have to check it with the ship when you board. If you buy a bunch of small airline size bottles, you don't need to check them because they are under a size limit. I buy some in port and then make my own rum and cokes. Im not looking to get drunk, Im looking to save some money.

10) If you don't like sitting in the big auditorium for a show, wait a day or so and the same show will be in one of the smaller, more personable venues. They rotate them around.

11) There are limited power outlets in each room. Bring a power strip so all the electronics can charge overnight.

I know a lot of these are common sense to those who cruise all the time but some newbies might not know these things.

1) Parts of the carpet are a different color (red or blue) depending on what side of the ship you are on. Use this to make sure your looking for your room on the correct side.

2) We put fun magnets on our door so that our kids and older family members can find the room easier. Still check the number before trying to enter because kids move the magnets sometimes.

3) The bakery stand in the main lobby have panini. You just have to ask for them.

4) Are you in an inside room with no windows? Gets pitch dark in there. When you wake up, turn on the TV and look at the camera on the front of the ship to see if its daylight out.

5) They come around the main deck at 3pm with trays of warm, fresh cookies and ice cold milk. Its pretty wonderful!

6) Ask the steward for a gallon of water when you get on. They will deliver a sealed gallon to your cabin free of charge. We got some for our Grandma to drink.

7) Not sure if you like something in the dining room? Ask for a taste. Our son wasn't sure about a dish and we told him not to order it and waste it. The waiter brought a sample for him. Probably won't do this with steak or lobster.

8) You can eliminate, reduce or enlarge your tip at the end of the cruise by talking with the front desk. Keep in mind how hard everyone has worked to keep you happy all week.

9) When your at port and buy a bottle of alcohol, you have to check it with the ship when you board. If you buy a bunch of small airline size bottles, you don't need to check them because they are under a size limit. I buy some in port and then make my own rum and cokes. Im not looking to get drunk, Im looking to save some money.

10) If you don't like sitting in the big auditorium for a show, wait a day or so and the same show will be in one of the smaller, more personable venues. They rotate them around.

11) There are limited power outlets in each room. Bring a power strip so all the electronics can charge overnight.

I know a lot of these are common sense to those who cruise all the time but some newbies might not know these things.

Good tips! Thanks.

I especially like the one about the cookies and milk! :o

A thorough list indeed. :)

Which deck is the main deck on the Ruby?

'Free' booze -

At the Captain's Circle reception don't sit in a seat and wait for a waiter to bring you one of the four, watered-down, generic 'cocktails'/drinks. Sit at the bar and order a 'double' of your favourite poison. You'll have 20 min. to finish it and order another - just in time to take it to dinner with you... and impress your tablemates with your lucidity and eloquence. ;)

Edited by Bill B

'Free' booze -

At the Captain's Circle reception don't sit in a seat and wait for a waiter to bring you one of the four, watered-down, generic 'cocktails'/drinks. Sit at the bar and order a 'double' of your favourite poison. You'll have 20 min. to finish it and order another - just in time to take it to dinner with you... and impress your tablemates with your lucidity and eloquence. ;)

Good one. :cool:

Is there a Captain's Circle / repeaters party? If so, is it for platinum members?

There has been lots of discussion about Share Holder Benefits. I have used them in the past and think they are a great investment. However, has anyone see a shareholder benefit form which is up to date? The last one I could find was for cruises booked by the end of Feb 2014. I have not seen the new form as of yet and have booked a cruise this March. Not sure if we will receive the benefit or not.

Thanks

The one year extension of the shareholder benefit was just approved so updated forms shouldn't be too far away. That said, use the old form. I don't even always use the form, I just add my booked cruise number to the account printout showing the Carnival shares and fax it off. Never a problem.

Terry

Edited by AE_Collector

There has been lots of discussion about Share Holder Benefits. I have used them in the past and think they are a great investment. However, has anyone see a shareholder benefit form which is up to date? The last one I could find was for cruises booked by the end of Feb 2014. I have not seen the new form as of yet and have booked a cruise this March. Not sure if we will receive the benefit or not.

Thanks

From my experience, Princess honors the Shareholder Benefits Form even though they are perpetually out of date.

Our last cruise was the Dec 2013 sailing out of San Fran. The most recent form last year was the one with the 2012 copyright and the language that said "This benefit is applicable on sailings through July 31, 2013."

For the lower level Captain's Circle party's (gold and ruby), they usually have a function in the Princess theatre where they introduce the staff and promo some of the entertainment. They give out drink coupons that you can use at any bar at your convenience. DH hates to go to these things, so I take both of our invitations, get our drink coupons and then leave. No need to attend the party and get the free drinks at my convenience.

For the lower level Captain's Circle party's (gold and ruby), they usually have a function in the Princess theatre where they introduce the staff and promo some of the entertainment. They give out drink coupons that you can use at any bar at your convenience. DH hates to go to these things, so I take both of our invitations, get our drink coupons and then leave. No need to attend the party and get the free drinks at my convenience.

Gone are the days when everyone got drinks and canape's .

A tip I learned decades ago and has stood me well is that you don't have to drink whatever they are passing around on their trays you can ask for whatever you want including call brands.

'Free' booze -

Is this really true??? Can you order a double margarita @ the bar ??? How about a frozen one??

Thanks

I've never used a form. I just have a typed letter that I change the info.

Here is an example.

(date)

Princess Cruises

Booking Support

24303 Town Center Drive, Suite 200

Santa Clarita, CA 91355

FAX 661 753 0180

Dear Princess;

On (date I booked) I booked (number of day) day cruise (booking number) from (departure port).

Enclosed is my (date and company of statement) statement showing ownership of 100 shares of CCL.

Our requested information is;

(My name)

(my booking number)

(name of ship)

(date of departure)

Please credit my account with $(dollar amount of credit you expect) OBC for this cruise per the Shareholder Benefit agreement.

This and the awesome service is what keep us coming back to Princess. Keep up the great work.

Thanks,

(my name)

(my princess passenger number)

Some times the credit has shown up on my account later that day after Faxing it earlier. Sometimes it might take 6 or 7 days to show up. This has worked for me 10 different times and never had a problem, even last Oct when we booked just 10 days before the cruise.

Edited by Gert2011

Thanks for all the info. Like I mentioned earlier, I have submitted my shares and hoped they would be credited, but could not find the latest form on line yet. With any luck at all, I will save $250 on my cruise to Tahiti.

One other quick question, I have booked some of my trips with Princess and some through a travel agent. Once in awhile the travel agent may throw in a bottle of wine or a small perk, which gives them a tiny advantage, but on some cruises when I went to make a small change in (cabins, etc) Princess has been more than helpful which gives them an advantage. (If booked through a travel agent, Princess has asked me to make my changes through the travel agent, which never seems to work as well)

What does everyone else out there prefer?

Which gives you the best service, or bang for your buck?

Is this really true??? Can you order a double margarita @ the bar ??? How about a frozen one??

You can order anything I ordered Stoli Elit martinis. But if you frequent a bar on board and one of the waiters is working the party they will bring you your usual. On one cruise our favorite waiter kept us so refilled we were snockered when we left the party.

Well, here's my 2 cents. After reading these tips, we tried them in Jan on Crown...both were successful.

1. Write in breakfast choices on the room service card. No hassle, no problems with any item...hot or cold.

2. Order a side of lobster tails with steak of choice at Crown Grill for surf and turf. Again, no hassle or questions.

Hope someone gets some use from these. I had my doubts about both, but both worked flawlessly.

Last week on the Caribbean, the Crown Grill had the lobster tails on the menu. They were oh so yummy with my filet!

On the Grand too and I loved their uniforms. We had a pair that was unused to the job and kept dropping cookies and spilling milk. Still no use crying over it (spilled milk that is).;)[/quote

;) life is too short to cry over spilled milk. I have heard the entertainment was not all that great on Princess, care to give us a review on that?

Last week on the Caribbean, we LOVED the illusionists! However, the comedian was horrible. Also, the ship's dancers were not very good. They just seemed to be going through the motions. However, the ship's singers were pretty good.

We didn't spend a lot of time listening to the other bands in the lounges, but the times we did stop to listen, they were good.

Last week I could not find the new Shareholder Benefits program, I even called Princess to see if they knew if the program was continued. Today after asking this question and told not to worry, I checked Carnival Corp once again. Great News, there it was the new Shareholder Benefits - Good for reservations made by Feb 28th 2015 for sailings up to July 31st 2015. Not only that, I rechecked the Princess site and my $250 credit has been added onto my cruise credits.

At around $40 per share, that's a $4k risk. Plus you're going to pay commission on each trade. If you're regularly doing 14 day cruises, it might be worth it. But for 13 days or under, a $50 to $100 credit hardly seems worth the stock risk.

Stock trades are very cheap the days and CCL has traded in a pretty reasonable range for quite a while so I don't consider it much of a risk. In my case, since we travel on Princess at least twice a year, I just bought it at $30 a few years ago. That $100-250 OBC twice a year adds up to a pretty good tax-free dividend!

Stock trades are very cheap the days and CCL has traded in a pretty reasonable range for quite a while so I don't consider it much of a risk. In my case, since we travel on Princess at least twice a year, I just bought it at $30 a few years ago. That $100-250 OBC twice a year adds up to a pretty good tax-free dividend!

We got lucky and bought at $14. One of the best things we have done in cruising. ;)