Checking our cabin selection

GrammyKati

Today I was able to "jump" on D707 which is a handicapped cabin on the Crown. My DH uses a scooter and this will be easier for him. Has anyone been in that cabin? It is hard to tell from the deck plan if the balcony is the usual size for a mini suite.

Today I was able to "jump" on D707 which is a handicapped cabin on the Crown. My DH uses a scooter and this will be easier for him. Has anyone been in that cabin? It is hard to tell from the deck plan if the balcony is the usual size for a mini suite.

In the photos I found online there were none of D703/707 but from the deck plans these two cabins are wider so your balcony is wider but the same depth as the others. :)

Thank you all for your replies. This is the first time we have been able to book a handicapped cabin and when we first booked the only ones available were $500 pp more. We decided to book a regular mini and put the scooter on the balcony. Someone must have cancelled and because I learned to check our cruise daily from members I was able to get one and I know this will work out better for DH and I am now getting excited!

Thank you all for your replies. This is the first time we have been able to book a handicapped cabin and when we first booked the only ones available were $500 pp more. We decided to book a regular mini and put the scooter on the balcony. Someone must have cancelled and because I learned to check our cruise daily from members I was able to get one and I know this will work out better for DH and I am now getting excited!

Is there a site you can check for available cabins each day, or do you pretend like you're doing a new booking or do you phone Princess daily?

Hi, we were in that cabin in August, it is incredibly spacious with a double balcony , large sofa , desk and large bathroom with a shower and disabled fittings.

The wardrobes are flush to the wall and there is a large gap by the inside of the door where you can park your wheelchair / scooter .

I also know from experience that the medical team onboard are first class .

If you want photos there are some on cruisedeckplans website ,

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

Does your husband have to use a scooter full time or can he walk/stand?

I ask because, if someone who is in a wheelchair full-time needs that room I would hope someone who booked it as a convenience is moved out and into a regular cabin.

Not trying to be mean here but my son sometimes cruises and he's a disabled vet who can't walk or stand - period. I would hate for someone of that sort to be unable to book a cruise because other people had booked the handicapped rooms when they weren't absolutely necessary.

My DH can stand but is not able to walk very far. He must use the scooter to get around the ship. His biggest problem is his balance. If we were in a regular mini I have to help him get in, use and get out of the shower. I would hope that would qualify him for a handicapped cabin in YHO.

It doesn't matter if her husband requires his scooter for one hour or twenty four hours, if he requires it and needs the room then he/she has every right to book that room and enjoy it. There is no need to leave it available "just in case" someone else might need it.

One disability does not trump another. People may require the room for a variety of reasons, not involving space and if Princess allows them to book it, it is not up to us to judge that someone else deserves it more.

As a nurse and cancer patient I appreciate people have special needs but we can't expect that we can book at any time and our needs will be meet exactly. Sometimes they just aren't because someone else with a need got there first.

We embark on Ruby, Crown Pr sister ship, next Monday and are in cabin D707 so will be able to comment and post shots then. From looking at the deck plan and from the shot below that I cropped from a larger shot of Ruby Pr, D707's balcony, indicated by arrow, and that for D703 next door or to the right in this shot, appears to be 50% wider than a regular mini-suite balcony.

attachment.php?attachmentid=301515&d=1391849114

RubyPrD707.jpg.da540946933202af694c2cafe8f8e048.jpg

Edited by robtulipe

Thanks to all your supportive posts. This will be our first cruise in a handicapped cabin and I know it will make it much better for my DH. He and I agreed that if Princess approached us with a request for someone with a greater need we would gladly give them the cabin but in the meantime we are grateful.

Thank you so much for the pictures.

You can view a larger shot of each, similar to the one below, by clicking on each individual picture.

Added in case you didn't know this.:)

PS I just added links to the larger shots.

attachment.php?attachmentid=301895&d=1392131816

attachment.php?attachmentid=301896&d=1392131816

attachment.php?attachmentid=301897&d=1392131816

attachment.php?attachmentid=301898&d=1392131816

attachment.php?attachmentid=301899&d=1392131816

Edited by robtulipe