Have you sailed on a ship in need of drydock?

3kids1dog

We are looking to book a cruise for our 20 year anniversary next April. I loved sailing out of San Juan on the Serenade a few years ago and I am really interested in going on the Jewel. But so many reviews and comments say she is "old" and "in need of drydock". I have read conflicting things if she is going into drydock in 2015 or 2016. We like the smaller ships, especially when doing a port intensive cruise, but would maybe consider AOS. So, have you been on the Jewel, (or another "older" ship) how was it really? We wouldn't sail for a whole year. Any advice?

We are looking to book a cruise for our 20 year anniversary next April. I loved sailing out of San Juan on the Serenade a few years ago and I am really interested in going on the Jewel. But so many reviews and comments say she is "old" and "in need of drydock". I have read conflicting things if she is going into drydock in 2015 or 2016. We like the smaller ships, especially when doing a port intensive cruise, but would maybe consider AOS. So, have you been on the Jewel, (or another "older" ship) how was it really? We wouldn't sail for a whole year. Any advice?

We sailed on the Navigator just before her drydock last month. We had a wonderful cruise and I thought she was beautiful! Of course, I'm sure she's even more beautiful now! :D

Sailed on the Carnival Conquest for our honeymoon. This was the week before she was scheduled for dry dock. I only noticed the usual wear and tear on the ship, really nothing that made me feel the ship was "old".

We have sailed the Jewel twice--March 2013 and February 2012. Before we sailed her, I read similar reviews commenting on her age and felt a bit concerned as well. I was pleasantly surprised as I found the Jewel to be in very good shape, both the public spaces and staterooms. Obviously, there are signs of wear and everything is not pristine, but the ship appeared to be well-maintained and cared for. The crew was wonderful and they really make the cruise.

We also sailed on the Radiance of the Seas right before her revitalization in 2011 and found her to be in very good shape as well.

We just got off the Brilliance yesterday. BOTS underwent revitalization in the past year and the updated public spaces are lovely, but I would be just as happy on the Jewel.

They are all going through revitalization at some time,

for RCCL to stay competitive in the marketplace.

Some are being sold off with bigger, better, more efficient ships

coming on to fleet, which makes for many choices and alternatives.

Present ships sailing not revitalized are excellent,

but may not have all the new toys, bells and whistles.

It is still a cruise and an adventure.

Make your plans

Enjoy your cruise

Toes in the water, Ass in the sand,

Not a worry in the world,

a Cold Beer in my Hand, Life is Good Today!!!

Zac Brown Band!!

Edited by ssb

Jewel is in fine shape. Royal doesn't wait until drydock for all issues. In fact they reupholstered all of the bench seating in the Schooner bar during one port day. They also replaced a major part of the carpet on the right side of the WindJammer. (December 2013)