Captain Dino Sagani

tothemall&beyond

Just got an email telling me that the captain of the Royal Princess for our Transatlantic in April will be Dino Sagani. From his short bio, it looks like he has only been a Staff Captain and never had his own ship nor even sailed on the Crown, Emerald or Ruby. Anyone ever had him? Know anything more about him?

He was Captain on the Diamond Princess to Alaska last June and shortly after left to take over the Royal Princess last summer I believe. I know he was Captain on the Royal last year for several sailings.

Edited by Coral

I have sailed with Captain Sagani four times in Alaska, on the Diamond and the Sapphire.

He is a great communicator. He keeps you informed. He makes all of his own announcements... He does not delegate announcements to the officer of the watch, etc.

He is absolutely the very best.

Lucky you!

Bon voyage:)

Captain Sagani was in command for our 35-day trip from Singapore to Vancouver on the Diamond Princess. As others have said, he is very personable and makes his own announcements with a wonderful Italian accent. I can still hear him say "the beautiful Diamond Princess" along with his boast that he was in charge of the largest ship in the Princess fleet (they new Royal had not yet been launched).

We got to talk with him up close and personal for about a half hour at the end of the Ultimate Ship Tour. At that time it was only a couple of months after the Costa Concordia disaster. He told us that shortly after the event, he was recalled from a vacation and along with several other senior Princess captains was sent to Europe to assist with the retraining of Costa officers in modern command and control practices used by Princess. This immediately told us he was a well-respected and experienced captain. Of course this was confirmed by the later announcement he would command the new Royal, albeit initially as the her relief captain.

Captain Sagani was in command for our 35-day trip from Singapore to Vancouver on the Diamond Princess. As others have said, he is very personable and makes his own announcements with a wonderful Italian accent. I can still hear him say "the beautiful Diamond Princess" along with his boast that he was in charge of the largest ship in the Princess fleet (they new Royal had not yet been launched).

We got to talk with him up close and personal for about a half hour at the end of the Ultimate Ship Tour. At that time it was only a couple of months after the Costa Concordia disaster. He told us that shortly after the event, he was recalled from a vacation and along with several other senior Princess captains was sent to Europe to assist with the retraining of Costa officers in modern command and control practices used by Princess. This immediately told us he was a well-respected and experienced captain. Of course this was confirmed by the later announcement he would command the new Royal, albeit initially as

the her relief captain.

Wow!!! Thanks for the great story about Captain Sagani.

I appreciate it :)

Just got an email telling me that the captain of the Royal Princess for our Transatlantic in April will be Dino Sagani. From his short bio, it looks like he has only been a Staff Captain and never had his own ship nor even sailed on the Crown, Emerald or Ruby. Anyone ever had him? Know anything more about him?

Hi, he was the Captain on the Royal for some sailings in December. Borrowing a link from the review of Dave (dmwnc1959). Dave's link below lists the patter including facts on Capt. Sagani.

Royal Princess

He was captain on my cruise On the Royal. He met the Roll Call group, and then remembered us when he saw us at the Captains welcome champagne party. Very nice Gentleman.

Hope this helps.

We were on the Diamond Princess from Beijing to Bangkok and he was absolutely the best Captain. He is always walking around the ship and talking with anyone who wanted to meet him, ask him a question, or even listen to a problem. I was surprised that he was so open and available.

Like others have said, he was always on the speaker giving ship updates.

Dino Sagani was the Captain on my favorite ship/favorite cruise Diamond Princess north to Alaska August 2012. After meeting with him on the bridge during a UST which began on the bridge he instantly became my favorite Captain. He talked (and listened) for 50 minutes with such enthusiasm and obvious love for his work.

When I later mentioned his name to crew members I had befriended they all smiled and gave two thumbs up (3 would have freaked me out) . They were very happy working for him.

Every Princess ship has two men with Master's lisences- Captain and Staff Captain and it can be the Staff Captain who docks the ship sometimes and who will take over command if the Captain is indisposed (hammock littered with empty rum bottles) so staff Captain is a lofty position indeed.

I haven't met another Captain as impressive as a leader and a genial ambassador for the Princess brand.

He manages to keep the ship in the water and not on the rocks and that's pretty much all I ask for when cruising.

He's great at his job.

Norris

He was the captain on our Christmas week sailing on the Royal. He was wonderful and kept us informed about everything. He told us about the rough seas, rainstorms coming up, etc.

He spoke so nicely at the Captain's Circle reception. We loved his Italian accent, too!

• 2 months later...

Captain Dino Sagani was Captain of the Diamond Princess on two occasions when we sailed on her...he is an amazing man, and you will be in very safe hands with him.

We all loved DINO! Especially the ladies!

We sailed with Captain Dino Sagani on the Caribbean Princess through the Western Caribbean this past March. As others have said, he's a great communicator. Very friendly and personable--he even stopped to take a picture with my family and me after he gave his onboard welcome speech!

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=10152295002766153&l=30295cb838