Naples Advice

txgirl74

I would hesitate to visit Pompeii and Capri on the same day. We have done it all on our visits to Naples: DYI to Pompeii and Sorrento; private tour guide both Pompeii and the Amalfi Coast and just the Amalfi Coast and then DYI by ferry for a day in Capri.

Although any of these locations really need more than a day, Capri as an island really should be visited on its own merits. It is a full day by ferry, touring all that the island has to offer and the ferry ride back to your ship. I would stick to either the mainland or Capri, not both. The key is to not cram too much into the time you have. A private guide is going to maximize your day - if you are on a budget, I really encourage you to join a group on your roll call.

No matter what you do, you will have a wonderful day:)

I would hesitate to visit Pompeii and Capri on the same day. We have done it all on our visits to Naples: DYI to Pompeii and Sorrento; private tour guide both Pompeii and the Amalfi Coast and just the Amalfi Coast and then DYI by ferry for a day in Capri.

Although any of these locations really need more than a day, Capri as an island really should be visited on its own merits. It is a full day by ferry, touring all that the island has to offer and the ferry ride back to your ship. I would stick to either the mainland or Capri, not both. The key is to not cram too much into the time you have. A private guide is going to maximize your day - if you are on a budget, I really encourage you to join a group on your roll call.

No matter what you do, you will have a wonderful day:)

We are planning on a private tour guide for Naples, but cannot decide whether to do both Pompeii and the Amalfi coast, or just the Amalfi coast. As, if I understand correctly, you have done both, do you think it is too rushed to see both in one day? As I type this, I am thinking I just may need to book another cruise to the area :)

We are planning on a private tour guide for Naples, but cannot decide whether to do both Pompeii and the Amalfi coast, or just the Amalfi coast. As, if I understand correctly, you have done both, do you think it is too rushed to see both in one day? As I type this, I am thinking I just may need to book another cruise to the area :)

I am interested in the answer to this question also. As a first time visitor, I really want to see Pompeii. But a tour of the Amalfi Coast sounds wonderful as well.

Our tour guide did the Amalfi Coast drive first thing; we stopped way up in the hills for a great lunch overlooking the coastline. Red and white wines and about 5 kinds of 'cello'--limon, grapefruit, etc. were poured freely--we had a blast! Then we all napped in the van while being driven to Pompeii, where we had two hours to explore before being taken back to our ship. We thought it was a perfect day. Booked through See Sorrento, 8 of us in total, 150E per couple including tip but not lunch. SO yes, it is very doable.

You thinking is sound :). We have been to this part of Italy on more then 2 dozen cruises and have also spent a couple of extended vacations on the Amalfi Coast. There are still a few things we have yet to see and do...so I guess another visit is in our future.

Yes, you can do Pompeii and the Amalfi Coast (at least part of the coast) in a long port day...but this is best accomplished with a small private tour. We recommend getting together with a few other cruisers and booking a tour from one of the several highly recommended tour companies you often see mentioned on this forum. A large tour bus (like the ones used by most cruise line excursions) is not permitted to enter Positano so we strongly advise avoiding this type of excursion on the Amalfi Coast. The ideal Amalfi Coast tour should include visits to Positano, Amalfi and Ravello....but many tours skip Ravello in the interests of time.

Hank

You thinking is sound :). We have been to this part of Italy on more then 2 dozen cruises and have also spent a couple of extended vacations on the Amalfi Coast. There are still a few things we have yet to see and do...so I guess another visit is in our future.

Yes, you can do Pompeii and the Amalfi Coast (at least part of the coast) in a long port day...but this is best accomplished with a small private tour. We recommend getting together with a few other cruisers and booking a tour from one of the several highly recommended tour companies you often see mentioned on this forum. A large tour bus (like the ones used by most cruise line excursions) is not permitted to enter Positano so we strongly advise avoiding this type of excursion on the Amalfi Coast. The ideal Amalfi Coast tour should include visits to Positano, Amalfi and Ravello....but many tours skip Ravello in the interests of time.

Hank

Love the idea of making many return trips to Italy. Have not been there since my honeymoon 30 years ago! I will definitely look for a small group or private tour which includes Ravello. Thanks!

Last October I had 2 days at Naples. Day 1 (when we should have been anchored off Sorrento, but had to switch at the last minute due to swells making the chances of tendering only 50/50) was an Amalfi coast tour :

Positano

Amalfi

Ravello

Starting out from Naples rather than Sorrento cost us at least an hour, and as we docked at noon and daylight waits for no man we only had about an hour at each town but it was still a great day.

On day 2 we took what must be the easiest excursion from Naples, a trip to Capri

Getting there we caught the 9.30 hydrofoil (and so wished we had gone earlier as Capri has so much to see) from Molo Beverello (200 yards from the dock) but I didn't book a return trip and when I showed up at around 3 pm for the 3.25 back to Naples it was full, so I was given a ticket for the 3.35 ferry. That didn't really matter, except that it is at least 25 minutes slower and finishes over half a mile from where the ship was docked, meaning, tragically, I missed afternoon tea :mad:

While at Capri we spent about 40 minutes at Villa San Michele

The Blue Grotto was closed due the aforementioned swells.

On a previous cruise into Naples (2011) we went to Pompeii

and Herculaneum
using the Circumvesuviana. All the best, Tony

Last October I had 2 days at Naples. Day 1 (when we should have been anchored off Sorrento, but had to switch at the last minute due to swells making the chances of tendering only 50/50) was an Amalfi coast tour :

Positano

Amalfi

Ravello

Starting out from Naples rather than Sorrento cost us at least an hour, and as we docked at noon and daylight waits for no man we only had about an hour at each town but it was still a great day.

On day 2 we took what must be the easiest excursion from Naples, a trip to Capri

Getting there we caught the 9.30 hydrofoil (and so wished we had gone earlier as Capri has so much to see) from Molo Beverello (200 yards from the dock) but I didn't book a return trip and when I showed up at around 3 pm for the 3.25 back to Naples it was full, so I was given a ticket for the 3.35 ferry. That didn't really matter, except that it is at least 25 minutes slower and finishes over half a mile from where the ship was docked, meaning, tragically, I missed afternoon tea :mad:

While at Capri we spent about 40 minutes at Villa San Michele

The Blue Grotto was closed due the aforementioned swells.

On a previous cruise into Naples (2011) we went to Pompeii

and Herculaneum
using the Circumvesuviana. All the best, Tony

Thanks for sharing these videos. They are beautiful, and very helpful as we are still deciding which excursions to take.

• 2 weeks later...

Hank

Thanks Hlitner!

I will have to check out the different tour companies recommended. I have been to Capri and wanted to explore both Amalfi coast and Pompeii in one day with every intend on returning another day.

Cory

Cory H

Do yourself a favor and check out APTours.

http://www.aptours.it

They will provide a wonderful tour (you customize) and do it for less than the other tour companies.

We have used them EVERY time we have been (thats 4 times) and have not been disappointed !!!!

Pompeii is not to be missed if this is your first visit to the area....... but you can do that and the Amalfi coast area in one day..... one of our favorite places of all !!!!

It all depends on the driver you get. We used APTours last September for Pompeii, Positano and Sorrento because they were cheaper. We did not care for the driver we had. Not much personality or information provided. We mentioned to him that we were interested in inlaid wood boxes and cameos and he said he had the perfect place for both but we would need to cut short our stop in Sorrento to have time for them because they were closer to Naples. We agreed because he promised us small private shops. Turned out to be what I call tour bus factories with lots of salesmen and overpriced merchandise. If we had not done the "factories" it would have been an OK tour as long as you are mainly looking for transportation.

Positano was nice. What little we saw of Sorrento had us disappointed we didn't spend more time there. Looked like lots of nice shops and restaurants. They did arrange an excellent guide for us at Pompeii. IMO you should not miss Pompeii.

We used RomeinLimo in Rome and had an excellent driver. They were more expensive but well worth it. I plan to use RomeinLimo for Naples on our next cruise there.

Edited by rdt10

I guess you can't please all the people all the time…… of course I am sure you know that in Italy when you hire a driver you are getting a driver….not a guide. They pretty much drive you from point A to B to C…… some will give some history and background as they drive, but not all as it is not part of the tour. That is why you have to hire a licensed guide in Pompeii, Herculaneum etc….. they cannot be a licensed driver AND a licensed guide.

We have always had great luck with our tours…… friendly and chatty drivers (especially if you ask questions ;) ) and love saving 100 euros (@$140.00) over the "other guys" That equates to money I can spend shopping :D

I guess you can't please all the people all the time…… of course I am sure you know that in Italy when you hire a driver you are getting a driver….not a guide. They pretty much drive you from point A to B to C…… some will give some history and background as they drive, but not all as it is not part of the tour. That is why you have to hire a licensed guide in Pompeii, Herculaneum etc….. they cannot be a licensed driver AND a licensed guide.

We have always had great luck with our tours…… friendly and chatty drivers (especially if you ask questions ;) ) and love saving 100 euros (@$140.00) over the "other guys" That equates to money I can spend shopping :D

It's funny. Last summer we spent seven days on the Amalfi coast near Minori (Minori was one of our favorite places btw). The first day there we met "Maurizio the cabdriver" and used him and his friend "Mimo" --local cab drivers--the rest of the week. Including day trip to Pompei, Ravello and transport to Sorrento at the end of our stay. They even arranged to have one of their counterparts drive us in a Van to Rome. All of them were awesome and very reasonable.

If you are ever in Minori look for the white cabs in front of the church in the main square. Chances are its Maurizio or Mimo. Great guys. Tell them Tom from Oklahoma sent you!!!

"Maurizio the cabdriver" is on Facebook by the way!

Cheers!!!

I've used private drivers several times and understand they are not guides. Once they drop you off at a location you are on your own. We've hired guides where we thought it was important like Pompeii. APTours arranged our guide at Pompeii and he was excellent. It was the best part of our day. We've had very enjoyable times with our drivers who usually have a lot of info to share and friendly personalities. That wasn't our experience with APTours. And yes we asked questions and tried to have a conversation. It may have just been an off day. A different driver or a different day and it may have been totally different. I can only talk about the day we had. Obviously your experiences were better than ours.

They were 100 Euro cheaper than RomeinLimo, which we used in Rome and Florence, and is why I booked them thinking they are only drivers and will get us from point A to B. The difference between those 2 and several other drivers we used were like night and day. If you want to save money and are looking mainly for transportation APTours provided that. Just don't let them talk you into going to the special inlaid box and cameo stores.

Our ship the NOS docked in Naples on Nov.4,2013. I had done a lot of research on Pompeii and the Amalfi coast. I booked Aldo Limos for that perfect day and he did not let us down. Aldo and his wife, Christine, took care of us all the way. We were 4 couples in Aldo's mercedes mini van. Aldo was born and raised in Sorrento and kept us informed and laughing the enitire day. He met us at the port and drove us to Pompeii where a private guide was waiting. After 2 hours at Pompeii we then drove the Amalfi coast all the way thru Sorrento to Positano. Along the coast past beautiful olive orchards and the incredible views. At Positano we stopped for about an hour to shop and walk around. After this we went down to Sorrento for lunch. We sat outside and they brought us the most amazing olives I have ever had. After lunch Aldo brought Christine to meet all of us and then we walked around and Aldo took us to a tiny grocery where we bought some olives and olive oil. After that we headed back to the port. It was one of the amazing days I have ever spent on an excursion. Christine was awesome to work with and Aldo was fantastic from his driving and all of the history he told us. I would recommend Aldo Limos in a heartbeat.